What trading books would you recommend?

J Livermore

Even though I have a decent size library of investing & trading books, I’m always looking to add to my collection.

Does anyone out there know of a list of books that are must reads for traders? I like the classics as well as the new stuff.

I've read Market Wizards, The New Market Wizards, The Disciplined Trader, The Futures Game: Who Wins, Who Loses & Why, The Jesse Livermore books, and a number of others just to name a few.

hey there ....theres other threads on T2win that discuss this ...just do some searching using the search tools

N

Its a useful list but, as it was said before, it would be better to search for existing topics and add it there so more visitors could see it.

I`d like to add some:
The Playbook - must read for daytrader
Bull, bears and millionaires - moslty about trading in general
Zurich axioms - short list of main points of trading, but some of them quite contraversal. A good thing to think about.

Its a useful list but, as it was said before, it would be better to search for existing topics and add it there so more visitors could see it.

I`d like to add some:
The Playbook - must read for daytrader
Bull, bears and millionaires - moslty about trading in general
Zurich axioms - short list of main points of trading, but some of them quite contraversal. A good thing to think about.

Hi mate,

If you like The Playbook (I assume that's Bellafiore's book?) then his other one "One Good Trade" might be of use to you. I avoided it for ages as I assumed it was going to be along the lines of all you need is that one big trade. I couldnt have been more wrong.

What is your level as a trader?

Some of the books I've found to be good are:
- How I trade for a living (Smith)
- The most important thing (Marks)
- Fooled by Randomness (Taleb)
- The intelligent investor (Graham)
- Mastering Market cycles (Marks)
- Atomic Habits (Clear)
- Outliers: The story of success (Gladwell)
- Trend following (Covel)
- Trading in the zone (Douglas)

I have a few more but sink your teeth in to those - if you havent already- and come back to me if you want more.

Actually, I enjoyed this sites own book ( Trade2Win FAQ - compiled by John Forman). Particularly the audio interviews. But that was when I was quite new to trading. A nice blend of perspectives. £20 or so I think.

No book teaches you to trade. You will find interesting and entertaining books,but don't bother with any making you profitable

Just realized that I replied to J_C, and not the thread starter.
I thought it was all the one person :)
My bad

Even though I have a decent size library of investing & trading books, I’m always looking to add to my collection.

Does anyone out there know of a list of books that are must reads for traders? I like the classics as well as the new stuff.

I've read Market Wizards, The New Market Wizards, The Disciplined Trader, The Futures Game: Who Wins, Who Loses & Why, The Jesse Livermore books, and a number of others just to name a few.

None!

It was a beginner’s mistake of not thinking of searching for recommended books as I am new to the internet and Trade2Win . I ask for your patience.

No book teaches you to trade. You will find interesting and entertaining books,but don't bother with any making you profitable

I agree that no one book or two can teach you to trade. However, if you read with enough variety, you can get new ideas for changing your strategy.

As far as I know, there are two ways to improve your trading: #1 Become self-taught through reading or #2 Receive private tutoring from professional traders. I have done both and I learned from each.

In the end, experience is the best teacher but if I’m not willing to learn more and adapt to changing conditions, I could set myself up for big losses.

To tell you the truth, some of my best trades came from looking at real time charts and reading the ticker tape. No indicators. No studies.

Hi mate,

If you like The Playbook (I assume that's Bellafiore's book?) then his other one "One Good Trade" might be of use to you. I avoided it for ages as I assumed it was going to be along the lines of all you need is that one big trade. I couldnt have been more wrong.

What is your level as a trader?

I have a few more but sink your teeth in to those - if you havent already- and come back to me if you want more.

Thank you for your numerous book ideas. The majority of the books I have were purchased in the 90’s so any up to date ones you could recommend would be as welcomed as would the classics.

As far as my experience goes, I have been an options market maker on the floor of an options exchange and I have also been a futures trader on the floor of a commodity exchange a number of years before Osama decided to level the World Trade Center.

Since then I have been investing on a regular basis but I want to get back into actively trading a stock index with ETF’s. At this time I would rather not use futures.

Do you know of any books that deal with stock indexes only?

Thank you for your numerous book ideas. The majority of the books I have were purchased in the 90’s so any up to date ones you could recommend would be as welcomed as would the classics.

As far as my experience goes, I have been an options market maker on the floor of an options exchange and I have also been a futures trader on the floor of a commodity exchange a number of years before Osama decided to level the World Trade Center.

Since then I have been investing on a regular basis but I want to get back into actively trading a stock index with ETF’s. At this time I would rather not use futures.

Do you know of any books that deal with stock indexes only?

You are welcome.

In regards to books specifically on indicies only, I'm not sure. Stocks for the long run (Siegel) is the closest to that which I've listened/read. But if you do come across some that scratch your itch, please pass them on to me as I would love to have a look.

The Howard Mark's books I've mentioned are centred on economic cycles, which encompasses indicies to a large degree. If youve not read those, I would definitly recommend you do.

You are a higher level trader than I, so I've likely not got much to offer you.

You are welcome.

In regards to books specifically on indicies only, I'm not sure. Stocks for the long run (Siegel) is the closest to that which I've listened/read. But if you do come across some that scratch your itch, please pass them on to me as I would love to have a look.

The Howard Mark's books I've mentioned are centred on economic cycles, which encompasses indicies to a large degree. If youve not read those, I would definitly recommend you do.

Hi Nowler,

I was looking through an old catalog which I’m glad I never threw away when I came across this:

How to Make Money in Stock Index Futures
Courtney Smith
ISBN 0-07-059108-3

I’m guessing it’s out of print and has to be bought used if you are interested. It’s the only book out of three on the stock index page that looked interesting to me.

A trader should not worry about what level they are currently at. Everybody started off new at some point. What’s important is to never make the same mistake twice and to improve yourself each year by learning all you can about the particular trading vehicle you happen to be specializing in.

In many ways I’m the beginner because I recently had to learn the internet from scratch and I’m still struggling with it.

You are welcome.

Hi Nowler,

By any chance do you know of any books that explain ALL the indicators that are available for technical analysis? I have some books listed in that old catalog from Traders Press but was wondering if there are any up to date ones.

I’m not only interested in how to best use the various indicators but what their mathematical formulas are.

Hey buddy.
Unfortunately, I dont.
But hopefully someone else will chime in with something...

You are welcome.

Nowler,

I’ve been looking online for books I may want to order but I noticed that a lot of them contain chapters on candlestick charting. Is it really worth my time to learn candlesticks just to read these books? When I get back into trading I plan on using good old fashioned bar charts.

Have you or anyone else bothered to learn candlesticks just so you could read the newer books?

Nowler,

I’ve been looking online for books I may want to order but I noticed that a lot of them contain chapters on candlestick charting. Is it really worth my time to learn candlesticks just to read these books? When I get back into trading I plan on using good old fashioned bar charts.

Have you or anyone else bothered to learn candlesticks just so you could read the newer books?

Priceless!

Hi Nowler,

By any chance do you know of any books that explain ALL the indicators that are available for technical analysis? I have some books listed in that old catalog from Traders Press but was wondering if there are any up to date ones.

I’m not only interested in how to best use the various indicators but what their mathematical formulas are.

"Technical Analysis from A to Z" by Steven Achelis.

But not a single indicator out of the thousands has the versatility of just one, versatile-isimo word in the English Language