What positions are you holding over Christmas?

Jason101

Experienced member
Hello and Happy Christmas.

I thought it might be interesting to share who is keeping what positions open over the Christmas and New Years holidays.

I have scaled out of about 40% of my positions and I am keeping open...

Boble
Bund
OAT (bond not grain)
Japanese Gove Bond
Long Term BTP
(Short) Oil ETF
Schatz
USD/ILS

I have on the whole come out of my swing trades and held on to my position trades.
How about you?

Hope you all have a great Christmas.
Jason

Last edited:
Currently short EUR/USD, long GBP/JPY, USD/CHF & USD/JPY. All in the money so I'd prefer to keep all open. Its a short holiday really though there's a slew of Japanese data releases on the 25th.

Currently short EUR/USD, long GBP/JPY, USD/CHF & USD/JPY. All in the money so I'd prefer to keep all open. Its a short holiday really though there's a slew of Japanese data releases on the 25th.

Ah, yes I should have said I am long all, but for the oil.
I am deep in the money on 50% of them and breaking even (with confidence) on the rest.
I Have chosen to stay open on the break-evens , in case I miss a new good entry.(or just forget to back in!)

Funnily enough I had your JPY's trades (and two other JPY's) all in the money and decided to close them before Christmas. Now I was not aware of the data releases on the 25th, but I was aware that the JPY was not behaving as I would have expected. Now I know why. It's funny how currencies often slow down and stall while awaiting news, and then inevitably carry on there same route after the announcement (well most of the time anyway.)

EDIT: Incidentally amongst the ones I closed this week were your EUR/USD and USD/CHF. If I had got into them sooner I would have kept them open as position trades but being late to the party, my MM declares them swing trades to be closed.

Last edited:
Much is written about getting flat before Forex announcements or holidays or even weekends. But have you ever looked back at weekly or monthly charts, e.g. EUR/USD? I defy anyone to pick out the December candlesticks if not labelled, or which weekly's carried NFPRs or interest rate announcements. They all look just the same in TA terms.

I reckon so much advice for traders is aimed at daytraders only, not the swing or position trader. And most of it is written for the US retail trader anyway.

Anyway, knowing my luck, now I've got that off my chest I'll probably get stopped out by 4 massive spikes while I'm asleep.

Have a good holiday.