What Is Your Annualised Percentage Return?

Just to clarify I take out all profits during or at the end of each month maintaining a fairly constant margin.As a result this return does not compound. Do not think I could do more volume than I do, so having additional capital is no real advantage.

Are you interested in mentorship?ps,is that 25% on your leveraged position (4x with IB),or 25% return of capitol?

That is 25% on my actual cash margin deposited with the clearer.

Twalker

Would be interested to know a bit more about your methods. I'm not looking for "proof" of your returns or examples of trades etc- nothing like that. Just a brief description of what you trade, type of trading, no of trades per month, amount risked per trade, % winners, rough r:r - that sort of thing.

For the record, my trading history doesn't go back a full year yet, but over 8 months, my return has been 81% which is an average 7.7% per month compound. This has been on a part time basis, trades being over a few days at a time, trading several fx pairs.
Ave number of trades per month is approx 10. I have tweaked my style a fair bit since I started and now have about 55% win rate with average risk:reward of about 1:2. I am now looking to average 10% per month compound which I have for the last couple of months. Currently using 3% risk per trade, but taking measures to reduce that to 2.25%, without reducing the reward side (increasing r:r to c 1:2.6- thats my plan anyway).

I am still working with a relatively small capital base but building up, so returns will be compounded if all goes to plan. I would like to go full time and I think I could use a similar strategy intraday, but with more trades and hence a higher average profit per month. This is why I am interested to hear more about your style, method etc.

Shit, should have stayed quiet, obviously the excesses of the weekend had a bad effect. After the meet I went on to watch the Rugby and ended up, shall we say, a little light headed. Darrenf, will PM if you are guenuinely interested.

Last year I was up 400% by end of year, but I take a high risk strategy, I trade full time and I have another source of income. So there isnt the pressure to make money

adrianallen99 said:
I trade full time and I have another source of income

that's where i'd like to be, unfortunately my "other source of income" is the day job!

So what's your annual percentage return?It's the IB leverage that's helping me!I just want to get a feel for what others are doing.Whether they're Nasdaq traders,or exclusively trade Vodaphone.

Problem is if I start mailing onto this thread I will be inundated with questions which seek to ascertain exactly how I am trading. As anybody knows who has been in this biz a while, each individual develops their own style. I traded prop for years before I went out on my own but it has only been in the past two years that I came across the basic methodology that allowed me to develop the style that I employ now.
I would just say that what I do is in no way extraordinary. There are many traders who came off the floor and adapted to the screens and make far more than I do. It took at least 6 months before I made anything much.
It is also something which could not be taught in a book or by e-mail. The new guys who come here get taught a methodology and are slowly allowed to increase their risk as they get comfortable and start to develop their own style. It takes time and a lot of hours infront of a screen. Other than that it is really very mechanical. No big secret to it, just very different from trend following systems. The downside is that although it is great for an individual you would not be able to employ this method for managed money. There is little point in putting more money into my margin account as I hardly ever reach the position limits that the current money allows.

I coached someone in September 2002 and he sent me the broker record of his trades for the first three months of trading cfds so you can get some idea of what is achievable for a relative beginner who is prepared to work and constantly learn.
He traded only 200 shares at a time very cautiously following my methods rigorously. He only occasionally traded more
than once a day (normally there are 4-8 good trades) and because of his other commitments only on 30 days out of 60 in the quarter Oct,Nov,Dec.
His average trade worked out at $39.11 x 200 shares producing profits of $1849 on average trade size $7823, a return of 23.64% in 30 days.
I am only saying this to indicate what is achievable with training, application, determination and good self control, I am NOT looking for more clients.

Had he traded on the 60 days, (20 trading
days per month), available he should have doubled that.
Virtually all his trades were made in the first two hours of trading, 2.30 to 4.30 pm. Had he traded in the evening regularly he would have made more.
That time slot and also 7pm to 9pm are the prime times to make money.
D only traded 44 times, one scratch trade, four losses, 39 wins.

twalker said:
The new guys who come here get taught a methodology and are slowly allowed to increase their risk as they get comfortable and start to develop their own style. It takes time and a lot of hours infront of a screen. Other than that it is really very mechanical. No big secret to it, just very different from trend following systems.

Take your point TW about a system being very much an individual thing.

The two great points that come out of your post are that in a prop environment, you only get more funds when they're comfortable that you're comfortable. Individual newbie traders do not have that external limit on theri excesses.

The other thing is the mechanical nature of your trading that you allude to. Get's rid of all the emotional decision making which tends to screw any system, no matter how simple or effective.

Well when putting up the cash for new guys to come and trade then it is pretty important to institute good risk management. Start out allowing 1 lot clips then moving to 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 and 100. Takes about a year to get to 100lot clips. Fortunately the software allows risk to be controlled from a single interface so the newbies are physically unable to execute more lots than we allow.
As for the mechanical nature of the system, I think this is essential. The more moronic you make it the more successful it will be. How the individual expands on this moronic base usually determines whether you get a guy who ticks over or one who becomes a superstar. It is very much about trading what you see rather than what you might anticipate.

If you've been stock/share trading for a year,what percentage did you make on capitol invested/risked.I don't mind if you give it as a percentage of your leveraged or actual cash position as long as you state which!(and how much leverage).I'd like to hear ideally from those that have been share trading for 3 months plus.