TOTW What is a reasonable annualised rate of return for trading?

kimo'sabby

Experienced member
1,622 287
Short answer, it's all a percentage game, so why is £100k an issue, and if it is, what would you do with it.

Try obtaining 1k off any serious investor that inhabits the planet earth, only for you to spunk it on the spot forex Market. Nice avatar by the way, is that your altar ego, a supersonic flaming robot trader...:LOL:...wot a t!t

Sonicscooter

Experienced member
1,811 351
Try obtaining 1k off any serious investor that inhabits the planet earth, only for you to spunk it on the spot forex Market. Nice avatar by the way, is that your altar ego, a supersonic flaming robot trader...:LOL:...wot a t!t

It's from an album cover by a band called Disturbed, but hey ho, didn't expect you to bother thinking.

Well Kimmo Cup Cake, over the weekend, have a sit down, give your head a wobble and come back with something better.

12WBT

0 0
Would not have a clue on %, each trade, daily, weekly or yearly.

To me trading is being self employed.

Still have to sell my time to make a wage each day.

How much time is an open question each day.

drtro

216 21
Depends on your effort and skill. I know a retired lady who's been trading for 6 years as a hobby. She's probably around break even since she began but she enjoys trading regardless. Then I know a guy who's been trading for about 2 years. He trades for a living and is really devoted. He's a chemist so he's a perfectionist. Made 77% return his first year on $140k. He told me a couple weeks ago he's currently up 82.5% YTD. I began trading a $200k inheritance at the beginning of the year and lost $60k in one day thanks to Tim Sykes. I've stopped trading my own capital and started at TowerHillTrading. I've began to learn how trading actually works. Profits aren't 77% or 82.% yet but I've gotten consistent (72% w/l). Still working on my R:R. If I can close the year >65% and >1R:R on my trades I will turn up my share sizes.

Jack o'Clubs

Experienced member
1,554 342
5% real return without leverage. Much more than this and you are a genius. Of course, how much you gear up your strategy is up to you and your ability to control risk and volatility, but as some have already said, % return stats without corresponding risk measures (sharpe, IRs etc) are pretty meaningless.

Reactions: VielGeld

NVP

Legendary member
37,766 2,101
Depends on your effort and skill. I know a retired lady who's been trading for 6 years as a hobby. She's probably around break even since she began but she enjoys trading regardless. Then I know a guy who's been trading for about 2 years. He trades for a living and is really devoted. He's a chemist so he's a perfectionist. Made 77% return his first year on $140k. He told me a couple weeks ago he's currently up 82.5% YTD. I began trading a $200k inheritance at the beginning of the year and lost $60k in one day thanks to Tim Sykes. I've stopped trading my own capital and started at TowerHillTrading. I've began to learn how trading actually works. Profits aren't 77% or 82.% yet but I've gotten consistent (72% w/l). Still working on my R:R. If I can close the year >65% and >1R:R on my trades I will turn up my share sizes.

keep going D........

we've all at some early point dropped money trading over the years..... and I also dropped a packet in my teens on the horses after years of profit ........but not $60k in one day :eek:

jees to be coming back from that demands real respect (y)

N

Triggerfish

229 14
"What is a reasonable annualised rate of return for trading?"

The word "reasonable" is subjective to each and every trader due to their understanding of the markets.....hence there will be a view/perception of what is/isn't possible.

Therefore, that view/perception will be a limited one.

After all, there is a gap between a positive expectation and actually achieving it. As reality usually "IS" different from the outset due to ones own limited perception.

So the word reasonable is meaningless and nothing but a made up figure!

VielGeld

Experienced member
1,421 179
5% real return without leverage. Much more than this and you are a genius. Of course, how much you gear up your strategy is up to you and your ability to control risk and volatility, but as some have already said, % return stats without corresponding risk measures (sharpe, IRs etc) are pretty meaningless.

Assuming you are profitable in the first place, this is the most sensible answer I can see here.

Reactions: Jack o'Clubs

Pferd

132 16

for 5% annualy is not interesting in my point of view to get into this business/hobby/job. The risks involved are too high and this return is not better than having buy to let property.

Is a highly especulative activity, so the rewards must be enough to compensate this fact. I am not speaking about about 300% annualy return, but less than 20% annualy is not enough bearing in mind the risks of substantial lost of capital.

Before the brigade of professional commentators jump all over in excitment giving opinions about the above figures, just mentioning that this is just an opinion based on how I see this business, nothing to do with my personal performance/expectations. Just saying.....:LOL:

Last edited:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock