What is Ignorance?

HowardCohodas

Experienced member
I've found this quite useful as I've engaged in learning in many different knowledge domains, especially my trading.

-- Marlys Witte said:
Ignorance represents all that we have yet to learn and discover - from an individual or collective viewpoint and shifting over time. You cannot learn what you already 'know' - although you may have to unlearn some things, and you cannot discover something you've already found - although you may occasionally rediscover something you've misplaced or forgotten. Also, ignorance - i.e., unanswered questions - is the raw material of knowledge, and (current) knowledge is the raw material of (future) ignorance, i.e., answers and questions shift with time and the accumulation of answers. That is why, some years ago, philosopher-in-residence Ann Kerwin, PhD, and I developed the Ignorance Map (below) to define these shifting domains of ignorance.

Ignorance_Map.png

Interesting map. I wonder if "Denials" is the biggest impediment to successful trading?

Religion USED to explain the inexplicable beautifully but as we have become more knowledgable we now know often inaccurately