Career change, from engineer to trader/salesman

den3b

Hi everybody,

maybe I am asking questions you already answered to, but I need answers as soon as possible and you've got them!

However, I'm a 26 (almost 27 -_- ) Italian engineer. I have a B.Sc and a M.Sc in Civil Engineering taken with the highest marks from a top-tier Italian university. At this moment I'm working as an IT consultant.

In the last years I grew a strong interest in Finance and I would like to relocate to London, working in the City as a trader/salesman.

Since Finance is in deep water and the competition is harder than ever, I would like to know if I have any chance to be employed by an Investment Bank.

Thus my questions are:
1)Which are the steps to take NOW in order to maximize my chances?
2) Do I have to spend another year taking a Master in Finance or some SII certification would help me the most?
3) Do you think I may ask for a summer internship after taking an SII certification this winter?

I hope it's not too late.

What I have to offer is
1)Genuine interest and self-taught knowledge in finance and capital markets
2)Good communication skills
3)Proficiency in MS Office, programming and VBA
4)Strong quantitative background (I am an engineer after all... I studied tougher math than Black-Scholes!!)
5)I am dead-set on doing this!
6)I can speak Italian :p

Thanks for your help.
den3b

Hi everybody,

maybe I am asking questions you already answered to, but I need answers as soon as possible and you've got them!

However, I'm a 26 (almost 27 -_- ) Italian engineer. I have a B.Sc and a M.Sc in Civil Engineering taken with the highest marks from a top-tier Italian university. At this moment I'm working as an IT consultant.

In the last years I grew a strong interest in Finance and I would like to relocate to London, working in the City as a trader/salesman.

Since Finance is in deep water and the competition is harder than ever, I would like to know if I have any chance to be employed by an Investment Bank.

Thus my questions are:
2) Do I have to spend another year taking a Master in Finance or some SII certification would help me the most?
3) Do you think I may ask for a summer internship after taking an SII certification this winter?

What I have to offer is
4)Strong quantitative background (I am an engineer after all... I studied tougher math than Black-Scholes!!)

Thanks for your help.
den3b

Hi Friend
Its never too late,and nothing is late if you are brave and dilligent.
Im Mech Engineer changed job for Trader,its much better when you work hard at the begining ,later you enjoy your fruits.
If you have interest pls. conact me.
Kindest Regards
Charles.
Parlo anche italiano.
Tanti saluti!

the steps you need to take are pretty simple really

make money trading
prove it to someone else if you want them to employ you
then keep making money trading

Qualifications count for nothing in my experience ......people want results not qualifications

good luck and best wishes
N

Hi everybody,

Thus my questions are:

What I have to offer is

Thanks for your help.
den3b

Hello mate. I am 35, italian, engineer. Working as well as a consultant for Deloitte in London in the financial sector. Been trading for 8 years, successfully now. Moving soon to do trading full time. Probably making up a trading floor. wanna join? di dove sei?

Hi everybody,

Thus my questions are:

What I have to offer is

Thanks for your help.
den3b
Ciao Den3b, ho letto con interesse la tua richiesta di qualche anno, visto che mi trovo nella tua stessa condizione, vale a dire laurea in ingegneria civile e una buona esperienza lavorativa alle spalle.
Di recente ho valutato l'idea di cambiare percorso professionale, vantando da sempre un profondo interesse in tutto ciò che riguarda il mercato finanziario.
Per cui vorrei chiederti quale è stato il tuo percorso dopo il conseguimento della laurea. Hai frequentato particolari corsi/master? Hai raggiunto quelle che erano le tue aspettative?
Grazie

Stay as an engineer and trade for yourself at home.

To quote the end of 'Wall Street':
"Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others".

Seems very poignant for an engineer!