what does FUTEX do ?

Its not fair to suggest Futex offer nothing to this site. i believe several Futex traders have been involved from time to time.
Also, we have offerred that T2W contributors are welcome to come and see our offices and even sit in on some instruction. But, when push came to shove, you did not want to come.
Plus, it is T2W that mention Futex consistently on this site, so it is only fair to try and respond in an applicable manner.
And lastly, I think that some of our posts are useful to those who are interested in our knowledge and experience. We get a reasonably good number of private messages which seem to confirm this.

Its not fair to suggest Futex offer nothing to this site. i believe several Futex traders have been involved from time to time.
Also, we have offerred that T2W contributors are welcome to come and see our offices and even sit in on some instruction. But, when push came to shove, you did not want to come.

I'll come - any chance you'll pay my airfare from Bangkok???

Plus, it is T2W that mention Futex consistently on this site, so it is only fair to try and respond in an applicable manner.And lastly, I think that some of our posts are useful to those who are interested in our knowledge and experience. We get a reasonably good number of private messages which seem to confirm this.

(y)

Plus, it is T2W that mention Futex consistently on this site, so it is only fair to try and respond in an applicable manner.
And lastly, I think that some of our posts are useful to those who are interested in our knowledge and experience. We get a reasonably good number of private messages which seem to confirm this.

What would be useful would be an answer to the long standing question on what percentage of students (paid or otherwise) are profitable and still with you after 1 or 2 years. To date you've avoided that very relevant, if somewhat awkward question. Don't you think that would help people decide whether or not to take your training?

Well you do keep changing the question, but I would say about 99.9% get to go live.
I would say around 75% are still trading after a year.
Answers are already in this thread, and we give details where we can.

What would be useful would be an answer to the long standing question on what percentage of students (paid or otherwise) are profitable and still with you after 1 or 2 years. To date you've avoided that very relevant, if somewhat awkward question. Don't you think that would help people decide whether or not to take your training?

What difference would it make to the average successful applicant if the answer was 90% profitable and 90% still there after 2 years against 10% profitable and 10% still there after 2 years?

You cant make any kind of sensible and reasonable assessment of ones potential to be successful based on the answer to that complex question.

What difference would it make to the average successful applicant if the answer was 90% profitable and 90% still there after 2 years against 10% profitable and 10% still there after 2 years?

You cant make any kind of sensible and reasonable assessment of ones potential to be successful based on the answer to that complex question.

The success rate at most of these companies is horrendously low. I'm not talking about how many are successful in getting on the course I'm talking about how many can make money, enough to pay their way and make the equivalent of a decent salary. At most places its less than 10% though people joining are seldom told that.

Hi PB

I understood the question and agree that the numbers will be low. However I am sure Futex use their own filters in candidate selection and in other areas that increases the percentage odds of success.

Overall though the actual percentages are irrelevant and would in any event be a poor indicator of any particular individuals likely chance of success.

I think it would be more important to understand how Futex nurture and support traders through the inevitable periods where losses accrue, doubt and fear creep in and consistency drops.

Just my thoughts

I used to work at futex for about 3/4 months in 05. I was in the woking office. My view was that they were straight up, honest guys. However at the time very few people in the office were making much money after costs, and in my view 80-90% of them would be better off just getting a regular job, even a minimum wage regular job, particularly when one considers the volatility and risk involved in trading.

However I did pick up useful skills and went on to make a few quid. So I can't feel too bad about the whole experience.

Of the c10-15 people who came in with me I recon about 5/6 left within the first few months then the rest drifted away gradually after that. (Some of this was second hand stuff)...

Fact is if you are of an analytical bent and you analyse it all it isn't a rational business to get into. The guy I knew who did well just threw himself into it and wouldnt consider failiure / probabilities. He also had enough money not to care about not earning for several years.

My view would be to make a success of it you should prepare for 2-3 years of no/minimal income and just hunker down...

As to the £xk desk fees - I have traded from my bedroom with IB / spreadbetters and with Futex, I made more in my bedroom.... Unless you are a real fast, large numbers of lots scalper you can do just as well in your bedroom, even if you are I am not sure that the leased lines et al make that much of a difference given the cost. I trade weekly or monthly not daily so for me it really isnt worthwhile.

In the end I was glad I did it, but equally glad I moved on quick.

Hope this helps anyone wondering what to do and is fair to all concerned.

Last edited:
hi

i saw that you take on a number of trainees for 12 weeks - after the 12 week period - on average how many of these do you keep on?

thanks

I used to work at futex for about 3/4 months in 05. I was in the woking office. My view was that they were straight up, honest guys. However at the time very few people in the office were making much money after costs, and in my view 80-90% of them would be better off just getting a regular job, even a minimum wage regular job, particularly when one considers the volatility and risk involved in trading.

However I did pick up useful skills and went on to make a few quid. So I can't feel too bad about the whole experience.

Of the c10-15 people who came in with me I recon about 5/6 left within the first few months then the rest drifted away gradually after that. (Some of this was second hand stuff)...

Fact is if you are of an analytical bent and you analyse it all it isn't a rational business to get into. The guy I knew who did well just threw himself into it and wouldnt consider failiure / probabilities. He also had enough money not to care about not earning for several years.

My view would be to make a success of it you should prepare for 2-3 years of no/minimal income and just hunker down...

As to the £xk desk fees - I have traded from my bedroom with IB / spreadbetters and with Futex, I made more in my bedroom.... Unless you are a real fast, large numbers of lots scalper you can do just as well in your bedroom, even if you are I am not sure that the leased lines et al make that much of a difference given the cost. I trade weekly or monthly not daily so for me it really isnt worthwhile.

In the end I was glad I did it, but equally glad I moved on quick.

Hope this helps anyone wondering what to do and is fair to all concerned.

Hey there, that's probably one of the most helpful posts you'll ever read people-burn it into your brain!
I trade with IB using Sierra charts-not a pro set up-but unless you're trading millions then you don't need all the network stuff that futex/prop firms give you.
Was talking to a pro (manages own hedge fund after years in the business)-he said IB with Sierra was an excellent platform. He didn't go to the prop arcades as most of what they were offering was superfluous to his needs, and was overpriced anyway. The attraction with these places is just to be around other traders all day-I get that. But it isn't worth it.
So taking that into account, what are you looking to get out of trading? It WILL take a few years to become profitable-deal with it.
If futex charge you 2-3k per month (not sure of correct amount)-then imagine this scenario-day 1 of month 1. 50k in your account. Oops, you've just entered a trade and lost 2-3k-approx 5% of your account. Oh dear. Except you haven't even entered a trade yet-you've just paid for your desk. And then you don't do so well in your first few trades. Oops. You're down7-10%.
What this shows you is that unless you have a large bank, then desk fees will eat you up! And if you won't be profitable for a few years, or even 1 year, how much will it cost you? How much pressure will being 2/3k down at the start of each month put on you?
I looked into doing their courses a while back (paying to do it not asking to be taken on as a trainee). It did seem that there was a lot of info/detail on it all, when I think sitting next to as successful trader for a few weeks who trades using supply/demand/volume/support and resistance would be worth the costs of all of it.
You don't need futex to learn how to trade. Study support and resistance, price action, supply and demand and volume. If volume, then use futures as fx markets aren't centralised. Job done.

Hi bootsyjam

Personally l would take the other side of that trade

l have been looking at this idea for a while, and taken advice from traders from T2W who have experience from working in prop firms (who are successful-they have been working in prop firms for years), however as you have quoted "rjmahan" and his experience, it shows that a one size fits all is not the case with prop firms, l believe that you need to look at the style of trading that suits your personality, if that style is swing and position trade like "rjmahan" then the opportunity of prop firm offers is not really going to work out for either party.
Although if your able to "day trade" and you have a consistently profitable strategy, then what prop firms offer is very impressive.
Naturally there are challenges... the desk fees, the pressure in the beginning to deliver as you mentioned, but then if you cannot except the risk of trading surely your in the game?
l see this as a business and as such there are operating costs as with any and usually with any new start up the first year is a result if you can break even. Therefore this opportunity is a 'no brainer' ,The firm take all the down side and yes if your profitable you share the profits, but once you have shown consistency the prop traders l have spoken to tell me the firm increase your clip size to significant size, which would take years to build to if you were trading from home. Unless of course your uncle is a hedge fund manager and can give you limitless cash to trade from home!
The other benefit is the commission costs l am told per trade are generally cheaper and your execution fills will be quicker (not relevant though if your swing trading)

How's Brad Young (Testimonials | Futex) getting on? I just wonder why he stays in Woking when he could be running a hedge fund in Mayfair. I visited the Futex offices in Woking a couple of years ago and met a trader who said he'd never heard of him. Seemed very odd given that he's clearly so successful, but maybe it's because he only comes in occasionally?

Last edited:
Hi bootsyjam

Personally l would take the other side of that trade

l have been looking at this idea for a while, and taken advice from traders from T2W who have experience from working in prop firms (who are successful-they have been working in prop firms for years), however as you have quoted "rjmahan" and his experience, it shows that a one size fits all is not the case with prop firms, l believe that you need to look at the style of trading that suits your personality, if that style is swing and position trade like "rjmahan" then the opportunity of prop firm offers is not really going to work out for either party.
Although if your able to "day trade" and you have a consistently profitable strategy, then what prop firms offer is very impressive.
Naturally there are challenges... the desk fees, the pressure in the beginning to deliver as you mentioned, but then if you cannot except the risk of trading surely your in the game?
l see this as a business and as such there are operating costs as with any and usually with any new start up the first year is a result if you can break even. Therefore this opportunity is a 'no brainer' ,The firm take all the down side and yes if your profitable you share the profits, but once you have shown consistency the prop traders l have spoken to tell me the firm increase your clip size to significant size, which would take years to build to if you were trading from home. Unless of course your uncle is a hedge fund manager and can give you limitless cash to trade from home!
The other benefit is the commission costs l am told per trade are generally cheaper and your execution fills will be quicker (not relevant though if your swing trading)

Sonic-that's all great if you can get them to sponsor you so you don't risk any of your own money. What you will find is that it is very hard to quantify just how many people get sponsored by Futex after the training.
As for good fills, as I said, IB and Sierra are very good indeed-this isn't MT4.
There are commissions, but if you're a good trader, and don't trade for £1 a point then they shouldn't be a problem.
So to summarise-if you get your training paid for, and then get money to back you, then of course it's worth it.
But if you don't? Then it definitely isn't worth it. And you'll see many posts, on many threads, for many prop firms/training companies that ask the same question:how many people go on to trade with backing?
You'll find that no clear answer exists. And to me, that speaks volumes...

I should also add something to your comment;"Naturally there are challenges... the desk fees, the pressure in the beginning to deliver as you mentioned, but then if you cannot except the risk of trading surely your in the game? "

Trading is hard enough as it is. Why would you want to encumber yourself with a 2-3k loss straight away? How will that affect your trading do you think?
If i started every month with a 2-3k loss then it would certainly affect my trading. If that's too small an amount to bother with then clearly the individual is a kick **** trader already so not bothered. Unfortunately, these forums exist to help people who aren't there yet.