Week 17th - 27th July

Where do you see Cable towards the end of the week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atilla

Legendary member
Hi everyone,

I thought I start off this weeks thread as I have wondered off cable recently. My eye is still here browsing and reading the threads. Amazed by cables run and other currencies response to the dollar slide.

Here is an interesting article from the Investors Chronicle to get the grey cells pondering. It looks at money, the Asian markets and price of commodities.

Also, on a TA level my favourite Std Err channel is showing the bull run of the cable as being still in tact and pointing to $2.1 before it eases off on the weekly charts.

On the 4 hour charts there may be some drop and if 2.05 holds and makes another upturn and breaches 2.0588 or 2.06 then $2.1 is on sight without a doubt.

I really feel uncomfortable at these levels but I strongly believe until the US imports sufficient level of inflation and decides to act on interest rates to sort out it's defecit, this will continue. This is economic warfare without doubt. A new offensive on the dollar has started and the US is waiting for the end of the elections before corrective action is taken.

Hence, I'm bullish on cable above 2.0500 if these levels can be consolidated.

The end of easy money
Created: 17 July 2007 Written by: Chris Dillow
The days of easy global money might be coming to an end.

The problem is not just the prospect of higher interest rates in the UK, the eurozone and Japan. It's also that monetary growth in Asia is slowing. The annual growth rate of the M1 money stock in Korea and Hong Kong has turned negative, and it's halved in the past few months in Indonesia.

Our measure of annual M1 growth in non-Japan Asia - a gross domestic product (GDP)-weighted index of growth in Korea, Thailand, China, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Hong Kong - has slowed from 17.5 per cent in February to 12.4 per cent in May. This is just under its post-1997 average growth rate of 13 per cent.

The reason for this slowdown is not that central banks have much reduced their printing of money to support the US dollar. Latest figures (which are only for March as the People's Bank of China is slow to report) show that non-Japan Asia's foreign exchange reserves have grown at an annual rate of 24.2 per cent - the biggest rise for 18 months. Such growth often leads to faster domestic money growth, as central banks sell domestic currency to buy dollars, but don't issue sufficient Treasury bills to offset (or sterilise) the increased domestic money stock.

More likely, though, the slowdown reflects slower money demand as a result of expectations of slower economic growth in the region. Annual industrial production growth in China fell from 36.6 per cent to 26.9 per cent between January and April. And output in Japan - a major source of demand in the region - has fallen at an annualised rate of 3.1 per cent in the past six months.

Our chart shows why this matters. It shows that slowdowns in our measure of the Asian M1 money stock - for example, in 1998, 2001 and 2005 - led to falling commodity prices, while faster growth - in 1999 and 2004 - led to rising prices. This shouldn't be surprising as Asian economies, with their large manufacturing sectors, are big buyers of commodities.

This link suggests that the recent rise in commodity prices - up more than 10 per cent since January - might not continue for long.

Equally, though, there's no need to panic just yet. Monetary conditions are only less loose than a few months ago - they're not exactly tight. So the skies are still blue, it's just that a few clouds are bubbling up.

PS Forgive me for not caring about the non carers regarding directions of cable... :cheesy:

In all honesty I don't care either as I will short or go long - all depends on where I see potential profits in trading one way or another...

Good trading everyone... :)

Attachments

• GBPUSD Cash070722-wk.png
    GBPUSD Cash070722-wk.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 239
  • GBPUSD Cash070722-4hr.png
    GBPUSD Cash070722-4hr.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
The relationships between eg EUR/YEN, GBP/YEN and the equity markets needs careful watching.

Amazing spike on JPY last night but gave some great entry levels. A break much lower against USD and/or EUR could bring about some serious retracements of the long term trend. Long cable and short EUR/JPY

long aud/usd after b/o and retest of 0.8815 resistance now support level
1st lot r1ish 0.8835
2nd lot target r2 0.8870ish

also triggered short on usd/cad at 1.0439
1st target 1.0422 [previous low].
2nd lot longer term as this is off 4 h chart
currently going sideways and so -5
if no action soon will close manually

Out of both cable and EUR/JPY. Profits but a little disappointing. Thought we would see some follow through this morning

just got back to find a mixed picture

aud/usd hit first target +15, second lot still running but reduced target to r1 [just below]

usd/cad i wasn't happy with so closed the first lot for +9 and let the second lot run which got stopped out for -16 [to the pip!]
so a total -7 on that one.
the lack of down momentum should have been the sign but for the sake of 1pt i would still be in the trade which imo is still valid with the trend trade on my system [as we are back down at original entry]. maybe i should have had a bigger stop to cope with the retracements but i was going out.

i was also watching gb/chf 4 hrs chart for a long but i missed the entry and wasn't brave enough to stick an order in with two trades already running.

in reviewing, by having two usd trades i realised i was over exposed to the usd so should have only took one and then the gb/chf to give a more balanced position.

Hi all.

i didn't answer the poll question, as i always look for the choice of possible answer along the lines of - "i don't really care where price is heading".......

Hi all.

i didn't answer the poll question, as i always look for the choice of possible answer along the lines of - "i don't really care where price is heading".......

go on JT, have a go.....think of it as a paper trade :cheesy:

Afternoon all. Been away a while..but kept an eye on the markets. I am currently short from 575 with a stop at 605 looking for a run down to 505

Hi all.

And the point is let's all have a poll about not caring where price is heading. This may be interesting for the first week, but what's the point of having a poll week after week after week after week with the same question and answers? :rolleyes: This very suggestion defeats the whole objective of a poll to take a snap shot of opinion in time for one week.

Are you likely to change your mind and care one week and not another?

At least we now know that other than trendie nobody else thinks cable is over priced or will tank.

Will this stop people placing shorts? No, I don't think so.

And the point is let's all have a poll about not caring where price is heading. This may be interesting for the first week, but what's the point of having a poll week after week after week after week with the same question and answers? :rolleyes: This very suggestion defeats the whole objective of a poll to take a snap shot of opinion in time for one week.

At least we now know that other than trendie nobody else thinks cable is over priced or will tank.

Will this stop people placing shorts? No, I don't think so.

what we need are ideas for interesting polls for each week.
(not a good start for me, went short when I clearly saw a long! lost 20 instead of making 30)

EDIT: I suppose my thinking with the same questions is: longer-term people with longs are hoping the market to continue, and vice-versa for shorts, so it can be a gauge of overall positions.
and alos, I cant think of any other questions.

No, not really :) . I'm not being critical for the exclusion of the "who cares" type poll option, as it can be interesting to see peoples reasoning behind their predictions, but i personally do not want to, or feel able to predict what will happen in a week.

I prefer to react to what happens, rather than predict what is going to happen, or what i would like to happen, yet is completely beyond my scope & control.

There are price regions such as 2.0000 that can and do hold special significance, as they act as S/R, and it is particularly interesting to see what happens to price at these levels. Cable recently hit a sticky patch at around 2.0000, and it would have been good to know when the break up or down was going to come.
But as to whether price breaks up or down through such a level is like the flip of a coin for me - either it will or it won't happen, and i cannot influence or control either possibility, so do not pay great attention to trying to 2nd guess such an event.
For me, it's a bit like having a discussion about eg. who will win the Wimbledon mens singles final, and in how many sets - Federer or Nadal?
I can hazard a guess, and make a prediction, giving a credible explanation for what i think might happen in the sets, based on past encounters & current form, but it is only a guess, as the event is completely outside of my control.
I feel that my focus is better served in trying to react to what actually happens.

Last edited:
what we need is to have dc2000 back! where is he? Less fun (and less profitable) without him around :(

Sorry chaps.... I think I'm missing something here....What's with the 17th to 27th July thread????

In my book it should be 23rd to 27th July.....:rolleyes:

Or is it that I've turned 40 this weekend and I suddenly lose all sense of reality.... I'm having a mid life forex crisis ;)

By the way - my overnight trade will be a long on the cable.... Just in case anyone wants to join in. :D

When will it stop

Hi all, i have been following this onslaught of the USD, granted the run has been so far a good run, but given the state that the UK is in, stupid house prices high unemployment, and a stupid government, floods half the UK under water, and the UK insurance companies about to payout billions on insurance claims, to be frank i can not see for the life of me see how the GBP can be so strong.

This run has to come to an end at some point, BUT the question is when? i have played the short game and lost, but i havent lost faith (YET) so still running short and a wait and see if anyone else has this foresight that the GBP will lose it's gains and get under control and fall back to a level that is more realistic to the value of the pound.

Sorry chaps.... I think I'm missing something here....What's with the 17th to 27th July thread????

Or is it that I've turned 40 this weekend and I suddenly lose all sense of reality.... I'm having a mid life forex crisis ;)

By the way - my overnight trade will be a long on the cable.... Just in case anyone wants to join in. :D

hi jilly

i think it is because of some old git that had too many beers after playing poker :LOL: :LOL: (and hint hint.....username starts with A, and there is a dog in his avatar...wasnt me :cheesy: )

happy birthday by the way ;)

j

Oops daisy... :eek:

Well spotted JillyB,

I think I've incremented 16 to 17th and took Friday's date... I have this syndrome where I get things back to front and misquote idioms and so on. My mistake.

I've been getting hate mail so I probably leave the setting up to another next week.

I can remember when I turned 40... Just about. It's a little like a recession. However, when you pull out of that trough and look back you'll find new altitudes. The skies up here are much clearer.

I'm still bullish on cable too. Looks like $2.1 is fast becoming a target to me.

Hi all, i have been following this onslaught of the USD, granted the run has been so far a good run, but given the state that the UK is in, stupid house prices high unemployment, and a stupid government, floods half the UK under water, and the UK insurance companies about to payout billions on insurance claims, to be frank i can not see for the life of me see how the GBP can be so strong.

This run has to come to an end at some point, BUT the question is when? i have played the short game and lost, but i havent lost faith (YET) so still running short and a wait and see if anyone else has this foresight that the GBP will lose it's gains and get under control and fall back to a level that is more realistic to the value of the pound.

What would you say is a realistic value of the dollar then? Trick question...:eek:

my best guess, and it is a guess! is that cable will form a medium term top at 2.0650 (jilly, dont forget to place a limit in case the asians do it ;) and either consolidate between 2.0200 and 2.0650.

then again, just a guess. still dont have the elements to call that, but getting signs that that could be a scenario to play.

in my book, no shorts, just longs. shorts are pullbacks ;)

hi jilly

i think it is because of some old git that had too many beers after playing poker :LOL: :LOL: (and hint hint.....username starts with A, and there is a dog in his avatar...wasnt me :cheesy: )

happy birthday by the way ;)

j

Can I ask the audience?:LOL: