Warning - Romansoft fraudulent credit card debits

Just spotted this thread. In the last 6 weeks I've had $750 taken from my credit card by romansoft in 9 transactions, 6 of which occured after I notified Capital One.
Rang them yesterday and they promise me an answer by next monday.
I was infected by the SS Furer posts and thought I had resolved it all before any harm was caused. Maybe not?
hampy

I too have had 2 transactions on the same day for $50 and $90 from Romansoft. Royal Bank of Scotland have been notified, but this is getting worrying. I have also had requests to "verify" my credit card details and then they ask for PIN number, date of birth, mother's maiden name etc. I have not responded but how do these people get hold of my information?

This is becoming too coincidental for chance alone. There has to be some connection between T2W users and these frauds. I suspect that if it was not the SS Furer thread then maybe some other image in another thread is the cause. It would be interesting to know one way or another.

Paul

Perhaps Sharkyshould put out a general, repeated & regular warning to T2W subscibers.

Have just opened my credit card (master card) to find that Romansoft Ltd are claiming two amounts $60 & $145. Both on 18 April.

About to phone Natwest. Thank goodness am regular reader and despite age Romansoft stuck in my mind.

Read the full thread - the only commonality I can see is T2W.

BEWARNED.

Thanks Trader333 for flagging this thread up today - I previously hadn't spotted it. As to what could have caused it, I'm afriad I'm none the wiser - but I'm as keen to get to the bottom of it as the rest of you. I'd like to now check my own accounts to see whether they've been compromised, but unfortunately I'm down in London before flying out tomorrow. So will have to wait until I get back in a couple of weeks. But I'd certainly urge everyone as internet users to take the precaution of checking their credit/debit card accounts to make sure they haven't been compromised.

Spoke to Capital One yesterday. They agree that the transactions are fraudulent, will be crediting my a/c, and issuing a new a/c number to prevent a repetition, hopefully!

hampy

Echo Hampy's message.

Natwest have told me to destroy the cards and they will issue replacements. Strange their initial action was this was a disputed amount - and it was only when I drew attention to the many 'victims' did they then treat it as a fraud.

If there are other victims - don't broke argument with your credit cards issuer tell them this is a fraud and refer them to the pages as above. If you retain your existing card there could well be other amounts still to 'hit' your account.

Tim

anyone else had one o these?

not sure if this is the correct place to post this but :-

Heres a copy of the email, at the bottom is a link that invites you to enter Ccard details. :eek: :mad:

Dear U.S. Bank valued member,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of the online
banking community we have issued this warning message.

It has come to our attention that your account information needs
to be updated due to inactive members, frauds and spoof reports.
If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew
your records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.
However, failure to update your records will result in account deletation.
This notification expires on May 20, 2004.

Once you have updated your account records your internet banking
service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Please follow the link below
and renew your account information.
https://www4.usbank.com/internetBanking/RequestRouter?requestCmdId=DisplayLoginPage

The eBay one is very realistic indeed - in fact almost impossible to spot that it is fraudulent and not a genuine eBay website that you're directed to. The only clue is in the address - there's something like zanga.us at the end of the URL, but it is neatly hidden.

Any emails like that should be sent to [email protected]

I never registered a card with ebay, but I did have a look, so I knew it was fake anyway.
I just deleted it :cheesy:
I delete most things :cool: :LOL:

For anyone who may wish to use online credit card transactions and is concerned that some "Keylogging" software may be present you can reduce the risk as follows:

Open up the windows calculator and rather than type in numbers use your mouse to click on them. You can then click on Edit Copy and then paste them into the online details form. You could do this in one go or a few numbers at a time. What it does is to prevent you from typing in your number and so a keylogger wont pick up on what your number is. Attached is a screenshot with an example.

Just a thought but may be of use to others.

Paul

Attachments

• Calc.gif
    Calc.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 203
Paul

That's a good tip. Thanks. For some time now I've used one card purely for web purchases and keep the credit limit small (£100) Of course hard work keeping it there since each quarter the card company sends me the "good news" that they've multiplied it by 10.

Regards

I've just checked my Barclaycard account by telephone. I use it for very little. What do you know - ROMANSOFT deducted over £200 last month. I've never heard of them, and never ever used them like everyone else here it seems!

Barclaycard are sending me a form to fill out and say they will investigate and there should be no charge as long as I fill in the form. I'm as baffled as everyone else.

Oh great joy! I looked at my credit card statement today and there are two debits from Romansoft LTD. If it wasn't for this thread, I would probably have given up trying to find what the payments were for. It does seem strange that this has been happening for so long. Has there been anything in the press about it?

Just finish scanning my PC with ADaware, spybot, spywareblaster and norton AV.
Nothing found of interest. :rolleyes:
Then i tried AOL spyware protection and it found this KEYLOGGER software
:devilish:
Spyware Name: Diablo Keys
Spyware Name: Perfect Keylogger