W8-BEN forms with XO broker in UK

floatUpstream

3 0
Living in UK and intending to buy and hold US stocks, probably through iWeb. I previously had an account with another broker who handled the W8-BEN side of things for me, but iWeb say they don't get involved in tax issues as they are an XO

I can fill in the form, but then what am I supposed to do with it? What happens if I don't bother, will I just in effect pay more tax on any dividends? Thanks for your help

M

member275544

0 0
Living in UK and intending to buy and hold US stocks, probably through iWeb. I previously had an account with another broker who handled the W8-BEN side of things for me, but iWeb say they don't get involved in tax issues as they are an XO

I can fill in the form, but then what am I supposed to do with it? What happens if I don't bother, will I just in effect pay more tax on any dividends? Thanks for your help

You're supposed to fill it in, only to confirm you are non-us resident. If you don't then they could to all intents, withold the tax you might have paid, were you a US citizen on any dividends that are paid. However, I would confirm with iweb what amount they will pay you on those dividends. if they dont withold, you should be ok

floatUpstream

3 0
Cool, thanks malaguti - it's good to know that it concerns tax on div only. I know of at least a couple of UK brokers where it's a prerequisite to do it first ... so I was a bit paranoid that it was a legal thing as well. I guess I'll send it directly to the IRS, and then they presumably will match it using my Address.
Fun & games

L

Liquid validity

0 0
??
You normally send a W-8BEN to the withholding agent (i.e. the broker).
I'd ring back and double check on that, search their site as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock