Virus Alert (false)

barjon

Legendary member
Virus Alert

Hi all,

I'M LEAVING THIS ON IN CASE SOMEONE HAS SEEN IT AND GETS WORRIED THAT IT'S SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED. IT LOOKS LIKE THER'S NO PROBLEM WITH THIS FILE FROM WHAT PEOPLE MORE EXPERT THAN ME SAY. ONCE AGAIN I'M VERY SORRY TO HAVE CAUSED ALARM.

THIS WAS DEFINITELY A HOAX SEE http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99436.htm

My abject apologies again

jon

I've just had a virus which comes via e-mail address book (doesn't need an e-mail message to move around) and which defeats Norton, McAfee and Grisoft anit-virus programmes.

Suggest you search your files for jdbgmgr.exe (it's got a teddy bear icon) and get it deleted WITHOUT OPENING. If you've got it you will need to warn everyone in your address book since it will go to them.

Cheers

jon

BETTER IGNORE FOR THE MOMENT BOnsai tells me it's a standard (?) JAVA de-bugger PROGRAMME

Last edited:
Hi Jon

This is one of those very annoying hoax viruses. I have been caught out by this myself a while ago. You can always check up on viruses at www.symantec.com

barjon
the creation date has got me nonplussed but
I wonder whether you have had one of those wonderfully useless
msoft messages like
- browser has detected an error and has to close down -
and then gives you an option to send or not send the system
status to msoft ?
I have had that so it maybe connected in some way ?

but its credentials look ok

"microsoft debugger registrar for java"
Version 5.003805.
and part of the operating system

Hi all

Sorry if I may have thrown everyone into a panic unnecessarily - have to check it out further.

jon

bonsai, that error message with IE has nothing to do with viruses blah

and yeah, waytogo, that particular virus hoax has been doing the rounds for a while now

that file is a legitimate part of the operating system, including the teddy bear icon :)

I think if you do a search on jdbmgr at symantec.com it will tell you how to reinstall the file

car key
thanks
didnt think it had anything to do with viruses.

thought it was connected to IE bug.
it's only a guess because of the creation date.

does anyone know how to fix this ie bug?

I seem to get spurts of it every now ang again.

I found that it happened more when i opened ie and outlook one after the other. I wait until one has loaded before opening the other now which seems to have reduced the problem.

I get that too NB :cry:
I think it's a bug in one of XP's upgrades...... I know one of them can kill your CD rom/secondary IDE controller. You end up with an " ! " by your cd rom(s).
No know fix except remove recent updates you may have done, OR go back to a system restore date if you were smart enough to set them from time to time!!!!

I've had the IE errors for ages. I've clean installed again and at the moment not using Outlook, so we'll see if anything changes....

Cheers

Ive got windows ME, I only got the bug when i upgraded to ie6... down grading didnt resolve the problem.

Ive reciently reinstalled a lot of software an that appears to have helped but it still persists.

...damb microsoft monopoly!!!