Very Quick Question

Racer

2,666 30
I don't trade for a hobby and I trade long term and I do mind losing over time!
I swing trade... e.g. 400 points on the Dow or 10 to 20%+ on a share

Racer

2,666 30
Incidentally, I have daytraded, several years ago now, when the vol and momentum was there, but it is too stressful an occupation for little reward.

stevet

Established member
917 5
racer

as long as you can tuck away 6 figures each year - and can keep this up - year in year out from trading the way you describe - you are onto a winner - i tend to be a bit negative on this point as i have personally never met anyone capable of this - and most professionals who intraday trade always get burnt on longer term holdings ( they'd love to not have to work all day long) - so well done - and all power to you!

Racer

2,666 30
But isn't it true that most traders (around 95%), either day or longer term, lose money. So it isn't really a question of the type of trading.

stevet

Established member
917 5
Racer

all professionals trade intra-day - you might keep specific types of spread trades on for longer - but the bulk of profesional trading is intra-day

there are a lot of facts around like the 95% thing - but no one has ever come up with the basis for the fact!

i guess that 99.99% lose money spreadbetting - but i only know that from what spreadbetting companies say - dont know it for sure - so there's another unsupported fact for you

there are a lot of funds - mutual and pension - low risk funds - that are down 20/30/50% - but again - only what i am told - dont have the p&ls

but i do know for sure that there a lot of intra-day traders making 4, 5 6, figures a day

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock