Vandalism Problem . . . .

timsk

Legendary member
I live in a quiet lane on the edge of a village in Devon. There is vehicular access to one other property above ours, other than that the lane is used as a pedestrian 'rat run' from a housing estate above us to the village centre beneath us. The local yoof have always done harmless pranks like ringing the door bell and then running off - all part of growing up. However, the pranks have been getting more sinister of late - throwing eggs at the house and then stones (and breaking a window) and then last night they broke the wing mirror off our car and put a huge rock through the drivers window. The mess is unbelievable and my wife has spent hours on the phone to the insurance company, garages and the police etc. A very tedious day. Nothing was stolen - just mindless vandalism. The police are not interested and even told us after the broken window incident that they knew who the lads who were responsible but there was nothing they could do other than give us a crime number. Very helpful - not. :mad: We've thought about getting CCTV, but this doesn't give a good impression to prospective buyers should we want to sell the property. So, Any ideas as to how we may combat what appears to be a growing problem would be much appreciated.
Tim.

I live in a quiet lane on the edge of a village in Devon. There is vehicular access to one other property above ours, other than that the lane is used as a pedestrian 'rat run' from a housing estate above us to the village centre beneath us. The local yoof have always done harmless pranks like ringing the door bell and then running off - all part of growing up. However, the pranks have been getting more sinister of late - throwing eggs at the house and then stones (and breaking a window) and then last night they broke the wing mirror off our car and put a huge rock through the drivers window. The mess is unbelievable and my wife has spent hours on the phone to the insurance company, garages and the police etc. A very tedious day. Nothing was stolen - just mindless vandalism. The police are not interested and even told us after the broken window incident that they knew who the lads who were responsible but there was nothing they could do other than give us a crime number. Very helpful - not. :mad: We've thought about getting CCTV, but this doesn't give a good impression to prospective buyers should we want to sell the property. So, Any ideas as to how we may combat what appears to be a growing problem would be much appreciated.
Tim.
Bait them in with something shiny, something that doesn't belong there. Like a cheap pink flamingo, a worthless statue from Wal-mart.
Something just begging to be broken. Set it up around dusk, then wait in the bushes with a couple of buddys.

When they come back and you confront them and scare the hell out of them, that way next time they never do it again.

DT
:)

If the police have an idea of who it is, I would assume you know who it is? And if so, I would go to there house and talk to there parents.

You call everyone they know, there kid knows and you raise hell. You let those punks know if they come anywhere near your house you'll call everyone they have even come in contact with.

By them time your done with them, they won't even be able to get a job shoveling show in Alaska.

DT

Thinking it over, you should post a reward for information on the vandals. Keep it posted, checking the notice everyday.

Ask every kid you see walking through, who they think it could be. Follow up on every lead.

DT

No easy solution

Tim.

timsk,
Your story is a sad reflection of modern life. [Apparently crime is low - just like government-measured inflation!]. I see the following options:

1. Get a frighteningly legal dog on a lead long enough to cover the car.

2. CCTV / PC video (dead cheap) - get the evidence and take out private prosecution - the police are a waste of time. This will cost you, and the perpetrators (who most likely will only get their knuckles rapped with a wet straw) will still pass by your house - unless you can get a restricting order.

3. Cut your losses and move to somewhere this doesn't happen. [Easier said than done].

Note: I would add caution about taking any "official" action which will be recorded and you will have to declare if/when you sell - it will make buyers run a mile. [you may get advice to "forget" when completing buyer's forms but the legal consequences could be painful if you are subsequently rumbled].

IMHO, If it becomes unbearable / unfixable and long-term, get out. ie treat as a failed trade.

Last edited:
DT,

No, a few inches below (would this be a breach of their Human Rights?). I still use imperial.

Grant.

throwing eggs at the house and then stones (and breaking a window) and then last night they broke the wing mirror off our car and put a huge rock through the drivers window. The mess is unbelievable and my wife has spent hours on the phone to the insurance company, garages and the police etc. A very tedious day. Nothing was stolen - just mindless vandalism. The police are not interested and even told us after the broken window incident that they knew who the lads who were responsible but there was nothing they could do other than give us a crime number. Very helpful - not. :mad:

If the public perceived that the Law was being enforced then perhaps people wouldn't come up with silly ideas like introducing Sharia Law in this country.

dd

The finders of lost children....

mmm, same position here property wise and a few years back we had a drunken teenager put his foot through brand new double glazed window. Anyhoo, daughter knew who done it, we sent the police around and he went to court, we got £60.00 comp via the courts. Cost us £70.00 for the glass mind... ??

We are at a lane and leave things out etc, but we do have a dog who patrols at will up and down the lane. Friendly sort, but I do think the dog helps, we often have the house doors open so he will bark or investigate .

So maintain a friendly front and say hello to the kids, rather than come across as snobbish isolated yuppies, or whatever. Get to know them ,even get one or two of them doin your garden this spring.( and I dont mean them lifting your expensive pot plants out for their own gardens) Mow the grass, or gardening duties.

Once they know you a bit then I think its a bit harder to steal from your friends sort of thing. Although me on a good day etc....

Getting a dog will help but has its issues of course.

Its no good going to war with them, much as we'dl ike to maybe. A policeman in a local paper said "we need to negotiate with the children" My second word upon reading that was Off. But I thought how hard a job it must be for the police, especially as they seem less able to "lay into" issues these days to get a result and or act as a deterant.

And its exactly this "Permanance of closed season " mindset that stopped me from joining the police. And I dont even see many coppers "having their sport" at the football matches these days.

Anyway I'm digressing... so friendly approach, enemies closer and alll that. We have to find these kids today. ?

Now a couple are moving home because the kids have been hounding them, the chap has a medical issue that creates an unpleasent odour (narcrotic (sp.) tissue kinda thing) And it is very sad , the lady has been in tears to my wife over it.

Kids can be real ****ers, yes but I do think less respect culture exists but does not help when coppers print "Negotiate"

Tim.

Sad to hear Tim. Someone once told me that the only way to avoid trouble nowdays is to move away from it :( You need to move to Bulgaria where the youth actually FEAR the police...imagine that :-0 They still impose a curfew on anyone under the age of 18. When are the left-wing bleeding heart "do gooder" human rights campaigners going to finally reaslise that what they are preaching ISN'T WORKING!! It is having the reverse effect!

Call To Swat Anti-Teen Mosquito Gadgets - Yahoo! News UK

"The use of measures such as these are simply demonising children and young people, creating a dangerous and widening divide between the young and the old." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

An Update

Thanks to everyone for your replies which range from 'a public flogging's too good for 'em' on the one extreme to 'hug a hoodie and befriend them' on the other. Alan - our friendly local bobby - recommends a PIR light in our car parking space as a deterrent. He says he knows several local lads who have committed 5 or more thefts in the village, but he can't do anything about it because he's got no evidence. Loyalty amongst the hooligans is thin on the ground it seems; their mates are happy to finger those responsible for such petty crimes. However, the CPS will not prosecute on the grounds that the word of one teenager against another simply won't stack up in court. Still, in an attempt to reassure my wife and I, bobby Alan told us that our village "is still a great place to live and that the level of crime is at least 2 years behind that in Plymouth which, in turn, is 10 years behind London". I wonder what criminal delights we have to look forward to in 2 years time?
:cry:
Tim.

Attachments

• Golf_Vandalized.jpg
    Golf_Vandalized.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your replies which range from 'a public flogging's too good for 'em' on the one extreme to 'hug a hoodie and befriend them' on the other. Alan - our friendly local bobby - recommends a PIR light in our car parking space as a deterrent. He says he knows several local lads who have committed 5 or more thefts in the village, but he can't do anything about it because he's got no evidence. Loyalty amongst the hooligans is thin on the ground it seems; their mates are happy to finger those responsible for such petty crimes. However, the CPS will not prosecute on the grounds that the word of one teenager against another simply won't stack up in court. Still, in an attempt to reassure my wife and I, bobby Alan told us that our village "is still a great place to live and that the level of crime is at least 2 years behind that in Plymouth which, in turn, is 10 years behind London". I wonder what criminal delights we have to look forward to in 2 years time?
Tim.

Are you sure it isn't a meteorite? Could be worth millions :-0

What a nightmare...

Personally, I am not overly bothered about security, but one thing that always appeared to make sense to me was to live in places where the likelihood of sthg happening is minimized...

Ie Apartments in safe areas of cities with lots of people around you.

(That said we've got a scaffolding up now as there are some roof repairs, and the building administrators actually sent a notice round telling tenants to inform our insurance firms that for the duration of work there is a heightened danger of breakins, what with people in theory being able to climb up the scaffolding, lol.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd move to where it's safer.

These are not childish pranks any more by a big shot.

This is serious aggression.

The problem is though that you don't know who it is harrassing you, hiring a private army to protect you and your property isn't really an option, the police aren't doing much, so, all that being the case staying will probably not solve the situation.

I'd move to a safer place, rather than get increasingly annoyed / threatened by a situation that seems to be escalating, while no realistic remedy is in sight.

Good luck mate !

Tim.

mmm I think you can pick up those cameras cheap enough linked to PIR (wireless maybe?) that auto record when required, couple of those placed covertly will provide evidence and crime will reduce overtime as a result. If anyone does eyeball them and ask when the cams if they are visible just say "We get cheaper insurance" or something...

If Plod was struggling for evidence then I would go for the cams mate. Village life can be great , but I think yoof struggle because all the mums want careers, and no ones bringing up the kids proper like. :) Cept ,strangers,teachers ,social services and plod. If mums stay at home and us blokes told them they have worked hard sitting on arses bringing up baby then we wouldnt be in this mess ?

Women having a baby is a career isnt it ? another thread maybe but social ripples are expanding cos mums swapped her breast pads for shoulder pads ,1980's onwards. Thats whats gone wrong I think.

Life never changes!

Tim,

This won't solve your problem but may help you take a mature and rounded view of it & today's youth.

A quote given to me by Mrs 0007 (academic historian) from Tudor times - 1560 ish:

"The general belief that the world was decaying towards the last judgement was confirmed by the disrespect children had for their parents and masters. The young everywhere, wrote Roger Ascham, had lost their innocence. They were assertive and presumptuous, giving no reverence or authority to their elders, neglecting their duties to such an extent that 'disobedience doth overcrowd the banks of good order, almost in every place, almost in every degree of man'.
Teenagers were a special problem. Ascham was disturbed by their light-minded pursuit of fashion and their rude slang, repeating a generational complaint as old as parents"

Reference: Jones N. Birth of the Elizabethan Age. pub Blackwell 1993

Reactions: BSD