using stops for the dow

sdgadd

I have been trading the DOW with stops of 50 pts then when in credit move stops to near entry price useally 20 pts but then I regulary get stopped out.. Then watch as the dow goes in my favour which is frustrating.

You obviously know by now that the Dow is a volatile beast and entry/exit points are critical. Refer to ChartMan’s daily Dow Intraday Charts threads to tune up your entry/exit strategy. Taking entries where RSI divergence coincides with prior strong support/resistance levels works well, but there are plenty of other options.

I’d use a 20 point stop max as it can run against you very quickly. If you enter a trade and see a profit, but it suddenly reverses, pull the trade at breakeven; don’t hang on and wait/hope for a bounce in your favour. This will save you a lot of money.

Small controlled losses are part of trading and can easily be made up in successful trades with the correct strategy.

Good Luck

If you are not already, I'd suggest placing stops on odd numbers as well as looking at previous day's hi/low and daily pivots.