US Stocks website

adrianallen99

Established member
Im creating a website for trading US stock, basically it will contains brief information about the, EOD data, news and analysis.

Its going to be a free site, but I would be interested to hear anyones opinion on what would be good to have on the site. Also if anyone wants to contirbute to the site by providing analysis of any particular stocks that would be great.

So far Ive just focused on Nasdaq stocks and only uploaded details for Altera and ADC Telecom. But it should give the general idea.

The website is still in its early stages and any help, advice comments would be appreciated.

(The website is my current homepage)

Thanks

Adrian

Data that was tabled in such a way as to highlight how different stock sectors were rotating within any large trend would be useful.

End of Day data is currently available for the following stocks on my website http://www.spreadtrader.org.uk Just check the stock list. I will be putting more info in for these stock over the weekend.

ADC TELECOM INC
ADOBE SYS INC
ALTERA CORP
AMAZON.COM INC
AMERICAN POWER
AMGEN INC
APOLLO GROUP-A
APPLIED MATERIAL
BEA SYSTEMS
BED BATH &BEYOND
BIOMET INC
BROADCOM CORP-A
BROCADE COMM SYS
CDW COMPUTER CTR
CEPHALON INC
CHECK POINT SOFT
CH ROBINSON WW

How about a list of dates for all main company results - both finals and interims?

How to set up Free EOD (pt 1)

I'm breaking this post up into several smaller one's as it is quite a long one. Hopefully this will be of some use to people wanting FREE End of Day Data going back several years.

Here's an easy way to get FREE EOD for US data -- You'll need MS EXCEL and this little program (around 30 GBP but well worth it) MQdownloader from http://www.hquotes.com. You can do it all manually without these tools but I assume that as traders you can't really live without some spreadsheet software and while Windows might not be the best I think Ms Office is still bar none the best office suite available in spite of some good free Linux ones (Open Office for example).

Assume we just want End of Day data for the DJ30 index and the stocks comprising the DJ30. -- You can select other data or whatever but for this example we'll just use the DJ30.

We need to create a 1 Time file in Metastock format so our downloader knows what stocks to get data for. This step only has to be done once for each set of stocks you want e.g FTSE 100, S&P 100, S&P500, NASDAQ, DAX etc etc.

I've decided to use Metastock format since that keeps the volume of data on my local disks reasonably compressed and metastock format can be read by loads of TA and charting software such as OMNITRADER, METASTOCK etc etc. The downloader will also download in ASCII as well so if your TA software only handles ASCII then you can use this method as well.

we'll create (FREE) historical data starting at 01012000 -- you can go back up to 20 years if you want --but in this case unless you have quite a fast connection the initial data load might take a long time --- Daily updates BTW after you've created your initial set of data are quite fast.

1) Ensure you are connected to the internet.

2) start EXCEL to create a new Workbook.
3) on the EXCEL menu click DATA===>IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA==>NEW WEB QUERY

( I'm using EXCEL XP -- For EXCEL 2000 there's a similar menu -- I think it might be called Create New Web query but it should be similar.

4) Paste this link http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=@^dji&f=snlcvi

into the New Web query URL . You should see the Yahoo page with data for the DJ30 companies and index in the Window.

5) Mouse click the little yellow arrows SYMBOL and DJ INDUSTRIAL
The little yellow boxes will turn green with a tick in then --- you only need those two SYMBOL and DJINDUSTRIAL

6) Click on the IMPORT button at the bottom on the new web query pane.

7) Ms EXCEL will prompt you where do you want to put the data -- in this case the default =$A$1 (starting at col A1) is OK

8) click OK -- you should now see a spreadsheet looking like this

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
How to set up Free EOD Data (Pt II)

OK we've got a spreadsheet containing all the symbols we need for the DJ 30 index and stocks. We need to edit this and save it as a CSV (Comma separated variable file) Proceed as follows.

1) Delete the ist 2 lines and the last line. so col 1 row 1 should start ^DJIA and the last row will have JNJ in it.

2) Delete Columns C,D,E,F,G,H so your spread sheet should now only contain 2 columns --symbol and name.

3) sort columns -- not mandatory but it's easier.

4) save as dj30.csv (comma delimited file) into any directory e.g g:\stocks\dj30

Your file should look like this
^DJI,DJ INDU AVERAGE
AA,ALCOA INC
AIG,AMER INTL GROUP
AXP,AMER EXPRESS CO
BA,BOEING CO
C,CITIGROUP
CAT,CATERPILLAR INC
DD,DU PONT CO
DIS,WALT DISNEY CO
GE,GENERAL ELEC CO
GM,GENERAL MOTORS
HD,HOME DEPOT INC
HON,HONEYWELL INTL
HPQ,HEWLETT-PACKARD
IBM,INTL BUS MACHINE
INTC,INTEL CORP
JNJ,JOHNSON&JOHNSON
JPM,JP MORGAN CHASE
KO,COCA COLA CO
MCD,MCDONALDS CORP
MMM,3M COMPANY
MO,ALTRIA GROUP
MRK,MERCK & CO
MSFT,MICROSOFT CP
PFE,PFIZER INC
PG,PROCTER & GAMBLE
SBC,SBC COMMS
UTX,UNITED TECH CP
VZ,VERIZON COMMS
WMT,WAL-MART STORES
XOM,EXXON MOBIL

For those of you who don't have excel -- I've done this part of the job for you -- cut and paste the above list and save as a .csv file.

continued in Post 3

How to set up FREE US EOD data (pt 3)

Now we need to convert this file to metastock format.

There are lots of ways of doing this but the easiest is to use a tool obtainable with FREE trial (you only need to create the inital metastock directory once so a free trial is fine). Download CONVERT2MS from http://www.trading-tools.com.

1) Start the program CONVERT2MS. Open your file and enter the following parameters -- I've set the starting date as 1997 -- but enter 20000101 if yu want your data collection to start from 2000 -- or any other date you want.

2) choose where you want to store the output file and click OK

Now we are ready for the actual data collection. See Pt 4.

Attachments

• sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
How to set up FREE US EOD data (pt 4)

OK we are nearly at the end -- you only need to have performed the previous steps once to set up data collection . In daily operation the program is automatic and doesn't need to be set up again.

There's one more thing to do before we can start our data collection -- we have to tell our MQ downloader what to collect.

1) Start the MQ downloader program.

2) run the SCAN option on your disk so it can find your metastock file that you created in Pt (3) of this post and add it to the KNOWN PORTFOLIO.

Now we are done -- just run UPDATE -- the ist time will take a bit longer because it's gathering data starting from the start date you entered in the step convert to metastock.

Updates from here on in will only update from the last date in the file and are much quicker.

If you really need ASCII format then in the settings you can also tell the program to create an ASCII file at the same time.

Note that the default settings will only download the SAME data again after 30 Mins -- you can change this in the program settings.

The data is quite OK for decent EOD analysis -- I use both Omnitrader and Metastock and they work fine.

I've saved a lot of money on EOD data download subscriptions.

This data will be quite readable by OMNITRADER etc.

Here's a recent DJ30 index graph using the FREE EOD data and OMNITRADER.

Good luck everyone.

Attachments

• sample3.jpg
    sample3.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 362
thanks for that 1kyle.

For people here who access my website, Im currently redesigning a lot of it, so that is why some of the information isnt fully up-to-date. Should be completed at the weekend.

Regards

Adrian

Free EOD data --- update

Please note that the MQ program referred to in my posts has now been merged into another program HQuote Pro. Otherwise all settings are the same as previously described.

The new program has Auto export to ASCII which is useful if your software doesn't support Metastock format.

The data will support all of these well known programs

What TA software is supported? You can use HQuote Pro with Metastock, Omega Research Tradestation and Supercharts, Elliott Wave Analyzer,WinWaves32, Advanced Get 7.x , Neuroshell Trader, BioComp Profit, Omnitrader, SierraChart, FCharts SE, Bull's-Eye-Broker , Excel or any other program which read Metastock or ASCII formatted data.