JonnyT said:
In my case:

1) Losing money
2) Make bags of money
3) Losing money
4) Make a bit of money
5) Losing money slowly but surely

JonnyT
And then you find out about US Stocks. LOL.

-Dave.

Hi Dave and all

been crazy off that sweet dip this am

Dave we bought all the semis off that bad news INTC deal

BRCM and MRVL AMD and NVDA

just sensational...

the INdia stocks are moving today REDF & SIFY

hope all is well

jerry

Jerry Olson said:
Hi Dave and all

just sensational...

hope all is well

jerry
Very nice as usual, Jerry.
Seems like we got some buying coming in. Merrill Lynch a big buyer in S&P pit just now. He's the only buyer in this last move. Over 500 right now. Might get some action.

-Dave.

JonnyT said:
In my case:

1) Losing money
2) Make bags of money
3) Losing money
4) Make a bit of money
5) Losing money slowly but surely

JonnyT

Its a very fine line between winning and loosing. never give up!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Olson said:
Hi Dave and all

just sensational...

hope all is well

jerry

Evening dude (sorry can't resist it)

Do and your gang have a direct audio line to S&P pit?

Jerry, why buy the semi's on bad news?

have a good session folks

dvdh said:
Very nice as usual, Jerry.
Seems like we got some buying coming in. Merrill Lynch a big buyer in S&P pit just now. He's the only buyer in this last move. Over 500 right now. Might get some action.

-Dave.

right dave

futes looking goodall day off that early slam...INTC is old hat now

all the semis rallied off that news...

been scalping all day really nice so far...

samtron said:
Evening dude (sorry can't resist it)

Do and your gang have a direct audio line to S&P pit?

Jerry, why buy the semi's on bad news?

have a good session folks

Hi Samtron

we do not listen to the pits

i watch and call the futures live for the room...

we buy dips on any "news driven" plays using symapthy trades...

INTC is company specific and stocks like BRCM MRVL NVDA are doing quite well on their own

that counter ternd trade in like money in the bank :D

Are the PDT rules $25,000 still in effect? Are there any ways round this as I want to keep my Investments in Dana, Soco and Centurian going!

I also don't understand the uptick rule for shorting. How does this work?

Thanks

JonnyT

JonnyT said:
Are the PDT rules $25,000 still in effect? Are there any ways round this as I want to keep my Investments in Dana, Soco and Centurian going!

Thanks

JonnyT

The PDT rules are still in effect. The way round it is through CFD's, but this doesn't come cheap. I've posted some stuff on commissions on one of the recent CFD threads. (can't remember which one off the top of my head)

Shorting, with regard the uptick rule, isn't usually a problem in liquid stocks, and only really becomes an issue in illiquid stocks, which I personally avoid. There are also stocks which non-shortable, a list of which DVDH provided a link for last week sometime. Here it is again

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...php?cntry=regSHO&tag=Reg SHO&ib_entity=uk&ln=

JonnyT said:

Thanks

JonnyT
Let me explain you the uptick rule. You can only short stocks at a price that's equal to or higher than the last print. So for example it's 21 bid 22 offer. Last trade is 22. The only thing you can do is go offered at 22 and hope to get taken by a buyer.
When the last trade is 21 you can sell the remaining 21 bid.
Although there is a trick not many people know of. The uptick is for all ECN's except for ARCA. ARCA doesn't need an uptick. If you route an order to ARCA, the ArcaExchange will automatically match your order in the ARCA book.
So let's say the book looks like this

20.21 BRUT 10 x 20.22 ARCA 50
20.21 ISLD 2 x 20.22 ISLD 5
20.21 SIZE 2 x 20.22 BRUT 7
20.20 ARCA 1 x 20.22 SIZE 1
20.20 SBSH 10 x 20.23 UBSS 10
20.19 BEST 1 x 20.24 MSCO 5
20.18 UBSS 1 x 20.25 GSCO 1

The last trade is 20.22. You want to short 1000 shares. If you click the market sell button you'll get a message saying you can't short sell because the last trade is 20.22.
What you can do is route an order to ARCA to sell 100 shares at 20.20, then you create your own downtick. That makes the last trade 20.20. And you can sell the remaining 900 at 20.21.

This all sounds like a long process, but you can predefine this in your trading software.

That's how you create a legal downtick. And this allows you to sell on a downtick.

Hope this helps.

-Dave.

dvdh said:
Let me explain you the uptick rule. You can only short stocks at a price that's equal to or higher than the last print. So for example it's 21 bid 22 offer. Last trade is 22. The only thing you can do is go offered at 22 and hope to get taken by a buyer.
When the last trade is 21 you can sell the remaining 21 bid.
Although there is a trick not many people know of. The uptick is for all ECN's except for ARCA. ARCA doesn't need an uptick. If you route an order to ARCA, the ArcaExchange will automatically match your order in the ARCA book.
So let's say the book looks like this

20.21 BRUT 10 x 20.22 ARCA 50
20.21 ISLD 2 x 20.22 ISLD 5
20.21 SIZE 2 x 20.22 BRUT 7
20.20 ARCA 1 x 20.22 SIZE 1
20.20 SBSH 10 x 20.23 UBSS 10
20.19 BEST 1 x 20.24 MSCO 5
20.18 UBSS 1 x 20.25 GSCO 1

The last trade is 20.22. You want to short 1000 shares. If you click the market sell button you'll get a message saying you can't short sell because the last trade is 20.22.
What you can do is route an order to ARCA to sell 100 shares at 20.20, then you create your own downtick. That makes the last trade 20.20. And you can sell the remaining 900 at 20.21.

This all sounds like a long process, but you can predefine this in your trading software.

That's how you create a legal downtick. And this allows you to sell on a downtick.

Hope this helps.

-Dave.

All is revealed. You did that way better than I could, Dave. Thank you for filling in the gaps in my original answer. And I've learned something too. What a good Friday evening!! :cool:

jimmy1jag said:
All is revealed. You did that way better than I could, Dave. Thank you for filling in the gaps in my original answer. And I've learned something too. What a good Friday evening!! :cool:
haha. You're welcome.
Guys, a good weekend to ya. And I'll talk to you guys first thing monday morning. haha. LOL

Have a good one,

-Dave

Non shortable stocks can vary on a daily basis. This is because only a certain percentage of a given float can be borrowed against. It can also be limited by how much any given broker is allowed to borrow so it is not a fixed situation and you can and do get situations where, for example, IB are not allowing short trades on a particular stock but you are able to short the same stock using DAE.

Paul

nice answer dave, the wizard at work, thanks for sharing (if i could i would give you another 5 stars) :)

for novices like me, so far ib and smart routing seams to take care of it, I just hit sell and I get filled, mind you I only deal in liquid stocks at the moment

roll on monday !!

samtron said:
nice answer dave, the wizard at work, thanks for sharing (if i could i would give you another 5 stars) :)

for novices like me, so far ib and smart routing seams to take care of it, I just hit sell and I get filled, mind you I only deal in liquid stocks at the moment

roll on monday !!
Thanks Samtron.

CFD Broker ( Via-Trader)

JonnyT said:

Thanks

JonnyT

JT
Via-Trader has a CFD trading facility:

http://www.via-trader.com/via/viabroker.htm