Best Thread US day traders thread.

PitBull said:
To fellow traders who were unable to make it on Saturday.

I hope we live up to your expectations. :cheesy:

Those missing from the photos were Naz and Gadgetman.

p.s. WheezerGeezer. I can't remember your friend's name

So now we all know who is who - at least with those who attended: How about some posts from some other guys as well as the usual "hard core" of people who post on this thread?

I hope you can, because EVERYONE I spoke to on Saturday had interesting things to say...........

Also a thanks to Lee from me for organising the evening. Ditto to everyones comments, it is good to meet so many like minded people with a real passion for what they do. I hope in the near future to be able to contribute as much as you guys already do. Once again it was great meeting you all .

Darren (long scruffy hair!)

samtron said:
Hi gang

Does anyone know if its possible to receive CNBC (USA) TV live in the UK?
Peter
I know you can get a feed via broadband from CNBC Europe but don't know how much of the content is Europe vs US specific. Check out http://www.cnbceurope.com

Their US site doesn't give any help as far as I can see.

Gadgetman said:
So now we all know who is who - at least with those who attended: How about some posts from some other guys as well as the usual "hard core" of people who post on this thread?

I hope you can, because EVERYONE I spoke to on Saturday had interesting things to say...........

Hi Gadgetman

Thought that I might take you up on your request.

I did a couple of days with Naz in October but have been only been able to trade in the evening.

I have found this a lot more difficult to trade than the morning open and as such my account is down about 10% from when I started back in November.

I've noticed that the big runs don't happen that often in the evening and am thinking of changing my approach to targeting 40 to 50c moves.

Tonight for instance traded APPLE twice , once long at around 19:15 for a breakeven trade and another short around 20:05 which went to a 50c profit at one stage and then came back , I got ot with about a 12c profit.

With both trades I was looking for a decent run but ended up with peanuts.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

AC

Gadgetman said:
Peter
I know you can get a feed via broadband from CNBC Europe but don't know how much of the content is Europe vs US specific. Check out http://www.cnbceurope.com

Their US site doesn't give any help as far as I can see.
Thanks Gadgetman,
I had taken a look at the USA site last week and like you couldn't find any real information about receiving CNBC USA in the UK.
I'll check out the cnbceurope site, but I suspect it isn't the same live broadcast as CNBC USA.
I don't think we can get it live in the UK, something to do with the curvature of the earth i think.

anyway thanks for looking, I owe you a trade :cheesy:

samtron said:
Thanks Gadgetman,
I had taken a look at the USA site last week and like you couldn't find any real information about receiving CNBC USA in the UK.
I'll check out the cnbceurope site, but I suspect it isn't the same live broadcast as CNBC USA.
I don't think we can get it live in the UK, something to do with the curvature of the earth i think.

anyway thanks for looking, I owe you a trade :cheesy:

It is possible to get CNBC and Bloomberg all day from a Sky or Telewest package.
The US commentary starts at 12.00 midday gmt and switches back and forth between UK/Europe/US all day. http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/sorter/channels_full.htm

p.s. the earth is flat!

Last edited:
Hi Gadgetman

I did a couple of days with Naz in October but have been only been able to trade in the evening.

I have found this a lot more difficult to trade than the morning open and as such my account is down about 10% from when I started back in November.

I've noticed that the big runs don't happen that often in the evening and am thinking of changing my approach to targeting 40 to 50c moves.

Tonight for instance traded APPLE twice , once long at around 19:15 for a breakeven trade and another short around 20:05 which went to a 50c profit at one stage and then came back , I got ot with about a 12c profit.

Cheers

AC

Try trading those US$ 100-150 stocks that run like wild stampeding horses in the early session but which then quieten down a bit by evening but still produce the 100+ point runs.

You might even look at GOOG in the evening session if you have the stomach for it. Suggest have a late dinner though.

timaru69 said:
Hi Gadgetman

Cheers

AC

Hi Timaru

There are a few factors here that, IMO, you must take into account, but taking profits is probably one of the most difficult things to master. I too yesterday managed only to make a small profit so don't think you're alone.

1) Is your account yet in profit?

It's no good looking for home runs when you are yet to bank a profit. Don't hold a trade hoping to squeeze out every cent. Manage your account and take some small moves. This helps pyschologically with the next trades.

2) What is the overall market doing?

Trending, choppy etc. Helps to have the futures charts, in the same timeframe on your screen at the same time. If the futures quickly reverse, then I would be looking to see how my stock behaves.

3) How is your stock behaving with the market?

Is your stock weaker or stronger than the market? If the market is down and your stock is a lot weaker, then it may carry on trending down.

IMO I think this is key when looking for longer moves. Also, if the stock has a major story behind it then I will look for a longer move.

4) Become mechanical when exiting

Have some rules that you can apply when you feel like your trading is not going so well.

I have a number of styles I like to use. The first is my discretionary style. I will be analysing lots of information before the open and during, I will be looking at different timeframe charts, futures charts, seeing how they move together, is there a rhythm? I will be analysing candlestick patterns on both my 5min and 1min. What do my moving averages tell me, are they flat, trending etc. This style is intuitive and comes with experience.

My second style is if things are not going so well. I will become mechanical. I have a set of exit rules and will follow them no matter what. I had to employ these last night as took a few losses earlier on and had to adapt in order that I didn't blow up.

My third style is momentum scalping. I will be looking for quick small moves.
This is very good to restore confidence and allows you to participate in the market with minimal risk and the probability of being hit hard is extremely low. But timing is key for entry.

5) Have a target in mind (relative to the stocks volatility)

After analysing the range of what your stock can do in a 5min period for example (use 14 ATR) to get an average, then consider a likely target. If it can do 50 points no trouble in the space of 3 or 4 candles, then 50 points is your MAXIMUM target you may wish to take. Don't by any means keep holding and hoping that you will get your 50 points. If it starts to dither, then scale out.

Also important is the range that it has already done in that day and what is has done in the past. Important when looking at gappers.

6) Scale out

If in doubt scale out. This way you can bank some money and let the trade run with a stop at breakeven.

Thats a few of the things I think about, but I stress that managing your account is paramount.

p.s. A couple of quotes I like and have them printed above my screen

1. We will never trade perfectly
2. Be content with nice winners
3. Be aware of potential exits all the time in a trade
4. The best traders exit positions too early and always love to ring the cash register
5. Losing traders are guided by fantasy and fear of losing
6. Winning traders are guided by confidence
7. A few good trades can make your week

Hope this helps
Lee

Spot on reply from Lee.....

You need to adapt your strategy to market conditions - for example when the market is choppy or quiet, don't necessarily keep looking for the long moves - be content to take smaller profits and place more trades - if the setups are there!

Good luck......

boy said:
It is possible to get CNBC and Bloomberg all day from a Sky or Telewest package.
The US commentary starts at 12.00 midday gmt and switches back and forth between UK/Europe/US all day. http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/sorter/channels_full.htm

p.s. the earth is flat!
Thanks boy,
I had know about the Sky version, but I have never used it because I just thought it probably wasn't a live broadcast from the US but a type of relay service between the USA and Europe CNBC.
Do you (or any others in the gang?) use it and if so do you find it helpful?

LOL The World is flat? so thats why I failed O'level Physics :)

Timaru69,
The post by PitBull says it all really IMHO.

The only thing I would add is that learning to Trade is a journey (in most cases a hard journey).
I believe there are no real quick fixes (of course lots of things can help on the way) but I think the bottom line is everyone has to be prepared for the apprenticeship and the hard graft that will be required. Its not rocket science, but at the same time I would say its no piece of cake either.
In most cases (unless your very lucky) IMHO the apprenticeship can take a least 2 to 4yrs.

PitBull said:
Hi Timaru

There are a few factors here that, IMO, you must take into account, but taking profits is probably one of the most difficult things to master. I too yesterday managed only to make a small profit so don't think you're alone.

1) Is your account yet in profit?

It's no good looking for home runs when you are yet to bank a profit. Don't hold a trade hoping to squeeze out every cent. Manage your account and take some small moves. This helps pyschologically with the next trades.

2) What is the overall market doing?

Trending, choppy etc. Helps to have the futures charts, in the same timeframe on your screen at the same time. If the futures quickly reverse, then I would be looking to see how my stock behaves.

3) How is your stock behaving with the market?

Is your stock weaker or stronger than the market? If the market is down and your stock is a lot weaker, then it may carry on trending down.

IMO I think this is key when looking for longer moves. Also, if the stock has a major story behind it then I will look for a longer move.

4) Become mechanical when exiting

Have some rules that you can apply when you feel like your trading is not going so well.

I have a number of styles I like to use. The first is my discretionary style. I will be analysing lots of information before the open and during, I will be looking at different timeframe charts, futures charts, seeing how they move together, is there a rhythm? I will be analysing candlestick patterns on both my 5min and 1min. What do my moving averages tell me, are they flat, trending etc. This style is intuitive and comes with experience.

My second style is if things are not going so well. I will become mechanical. I have a set of exit rules and will follow them no matter what. I had to employ these last night as took a few losses earlier on and had to adapt in order that I didn't blow up.

My third style is momentum scalping. I will be looking for quick small moves.
This is very good to restore confidence and allows you to participate in the market with minimal risk and the probability of being hit hard is extremely low. But timing is key for entry.

5) Have a target in mind (relative to the stocks volatility)

After analysing the range of what your stock can do in a 5min period for example (use 14 ATR) to get an average, then consider a likely target. If it can do 50 points no trouble in the space of 3 or 4 candles, then 50 points is your MAXIMUM target you may wish to take. Don't by any means keep holding and hoping that you will get your 50 points. If it starts to dither, then scale out.

Also important is the range that it has already done in that day and what is has done in the past. Important when looking at gappers.

6) Scale out

If in doubt scale out. This way you can bank some money and let the trade run with a stop at breakeven.

Thats a few of the things I think about, but I stress that managing your account is paramount.

p.s. A couple of quotes I like and have them printed above my screen

1. We will never trade perfectly
2. Be content with nice winners
3. Be aware of potential exits all the time in a trade
4. The best traders exit positions too early and always love to ring the cash register
5. Losing traders are guided by fantasy and fear of losing
6. Winning traders are guided by confidence
7. A few good trades can make your week

Hope this helps
Lee

Hi Lee

Thanks for your reply, probaly the most constructive and informative I have ever seen on T2W.

I'll refocus on what is happening as opposed to what I want to see and act accordingly.

I'll start posting my results as and when they occur.

Thanks again

Cheers

Andrew

I agree with the excellent statements but would add, behind every sucessful trader are a huge amount of mistakes, often the pain of loss is a great tutor, I would even say that I most important lessons are to be learned through loss , the trick is not to repeat them , alas I still do !

Good Luck

timaru69 said:
Hi Gadgetman

Cheers

AC

HI AC,

My advice for you is to trade small, but big enough to be able to scale out of your positions.
Because IMO scaling out is one big step to profitable trading.
You need a target or some sort of a trailing stop if you don't know how to read the Level II screen.
Never EVER let a winning trade end up in a losing trade.
You shouldn't be looking for 40 or 50 cent trades or even dollar runs. You should trade what you see. Apparently you know how to enter a trade, but you need to do a little finetuning on the exits.
I think the best thing to do is learn how the Level II screen works. Because all information is in the Level II screen before you see anything happening on charts.
I recommend Mr. Charts' Level II course. It improved my trading 100%. PM me if you want more info.

-Dave.

dvdh said:
HI AC,

My advice for you is to trade small, but big enough to be able to scale out of your positions.
Because IMO scaling out is one big step to profitable trading.
You need a target or some sort of a trailing stop if you don't know how to read the Level II screen.
Never EVER let a winning trade end up in a losing trade.
You shouldn't be looking for 40 or 50 cent trades or even dollar runs. You should trade what you see. Apparently you know how to enter a trade, but you need to do a little finetuning on the exits.
I think the best thing to do is learn how the Level II screen works. Because all information is in the Level II screen before you see anything happening on charts.
I recommend Mr. Charts' Level II course. It improved my trading 100%. PM me if you want more info.

-Dave.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice

Youare right about the exits, i am reasonably confident in spotting the setups and picking the entry point.

Re Level II, obviously need some more experience but I find reading it can be a 50/50 exercise, sometimes I get the call right and other times not, but I would've thought that was part in parcel of trading. I mean can you use Levell II to pick the turning point/exit point and be right the majority of the time? By majority I mean > 70%.

Cheers

Andrew

This seems like a reasonable place to post something about knowing yourself.- a bit off topic (US day trading) I know but relevant here. In addition to all the advice posted above, you need to know yourself. If you don't know yourself, then you can't take steps to improve. To get to know and understand myself I used and adapted an exercise when I was defining my trading plan last year. I originally did this exercise a while back in completely different circumstances. I dug it out and adapted it for trding purposes.

Below are the questions I asked myself (which I then answered in written form). This takes a while to complete, but if you've never worked on yourself before is well worth the effort.

Once you've completed the self inventory, you then need to identify you key weaknesses so that you can work on them in a structured manner. I am not a shrink or a psychotherapist; I take things which I find help me. What I did helped me and it may help you too, hence my reason for posting. (For obvious reasons I have deleted my own answers as they are highly personal). You can only do this if you can admit that you've got some problems in your trading. This helps you to identify where they lie. If, however, you don't have any psychological issues, then you don't need to bother with all this.

False Pride

Being so thick skinned that we have trouble admitting any human weakness at all. Another word for this is grandiosity. How would you describe yourself in this respect?

Humility

Humility means accepting ourselves, strengths as well as weaknesses; not being defensive. How capable are you of doing this- both in general and in relation to your trading?

Perfectionism

Setting unrealistic standards for ourselves. This can lead to impatience which can lead to frustration and ultimately (costly) mistakes. Are you a perfectionist? Do you set unachievable targets for yourself? How does perfectionism affect your trading?

Admitting Mistakes

Can you think of instances of being in the wrong and admitting it? Is it OK to make mistakes?

Impatience

When impatience gets the better of us, not only do we want what we want, but we want it now. This leads to us not trading our plan and subsequent losses. This can turn into a vicious circle as we become even more impatient as a result of the previous failure. How do you see yourself in this respect?

Resentment

Resentful people hang on to angry feelings. Resentment is a good excuse for irresponsible behaviour. Do you honestly feel that this resentment is justified? Do you feel resentment towards the markets for example? Or towards other traders because they do better than you do?

Understanding

Are you able to accept the things that you cannot change? Does this form part of the way you trade? This is also very much linked to “hope”. How do you trade when faced with the inevitable? Do you carry on regardless “because you know better”?

Being Honest

Are you able to be open and honest with yourself? Does this bring a sense of relief and a kind of calm? Or if not, why not?

Dishonest Thinking

When you are dishonest with yourself, you lose contact with reality. This results in believing that which you want to believe. What effect has this had on you and your trading?

Putting Things Off

Often we put things off until it becomes critical that we do something, and until everything is just right. This can lead to impatience and irresponsibility. What sorts of tasks have you put off in the past/ still put off? What effect has this had on your trading? If you had done these things how would things be different now?

Guilt

Sometimes we hang on to bad feelings about ourselves in the same way as we hold onto resentments about other people. This again can become a vicious circle and can affect our trading.

Fear

Sometimes we are afraid of specific things, afraid that a plan won’t succeed, afraid that we’re going to fail, and of the results that actions we have taken might have, for example, on our account. Describe the fears you have right now/ when you trade, the fears that destroy your peace of mind.

Acceptance and Greed

As acceptance of ourselves grows, so does our acceptance of the world around us. We don’t have to be fearful and defensive because if you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing, there’s not much to worry about. You can only take what the market offers you. Are you able to let go when things don’t go according to your plan? Or when things go right for a while and then start to go against the way you planned? Describe how you feel in such situations.

Taking Things for Granted

Many of us tend to take things for granted when they are going well. We sometimes forget the effort, action and discipline which finally straightened things out for ourselves. Complacency and boredom are real dangers. Can you recall instances when complacency or boredom caused you to trade irresponsibly? To slip back into trading without your plan?

Being Grateful

How do you feel about how you are now? Do you feel gratitude towards those who helped you on your way? Can you see how a feeling of gratitude can help you in a positive way? And help you avoid the pitfalls of complacency and boredom?

The above questions are just a guide. There well may be others which aren't included here, but are just as relevant. Don't be restricted by the above.

Once you've answered these questions, if you can, go through them with someone you know, ideally you mentor (if you're lucky enough to have one) by reading them out aloud. Read through your original answers every now and again and see if things have changed.

I hope this is of use to someone.

timaru69 said:
Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice

Youare right about the exits, i am reasonably confident in spotting the setups and picking the entry point.

Re Level II, obviously need some more experience but I find reading it can be a 50/50 exercise, sometimes I get the call right and other times not, but I would've thought that was part in parcel of trading. I mean can you use Levell II to pick the turning point/exit point and be right the majority of the time? By majority I mean > 70%.

Cheers

Andrew
I'd say 100%. Before it happens on the charts, Level II already told you it was about too. Seriously.

-Dave.

dvdh said:
I'd say 100%. Before it happens on the charts, Level II already told you it was about too. Seriously.

-Dave.

One way to learn read level II screen is to record it using programme such as Camtasia Studio, then replay the action as many times as you like to understand and see exactly what market makers do at key turning points. I having difficulty uploading a sample video so I'll attach some screen shots.

IHTH