Upgraded Marking of Threads/Forums Read

Sharky

Staff
We've upgraded the system of how threads and forums are marked as read.

THE OLD SYSTEM: (VERY BASIC) (n)
* Once a user has been inactive for 15 mins, ALL threads and forums are considered read!
* During the 15 mins, threads that are viewed are marked as read.

THE NEW SYSTEM: :clap:
* No 15 min limit, threads and forums are accurately tracked indefinitely!
* Forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.
* Note: ALL threads and forums *without posts* in the last 10 days are automatically marked as read.

In fact I suggest everyone use the Mark Forums Read link above, and via the quicklinks menu to start afresh today so they can see exactly what threads they've read in future.

I'm not sure if this is intentionally, but if it is the case then I much prefered the old system:

When I log in and check my control panel to see which threads I am subscribed to have new posts (a process I usually do), I get to see several threads which I've already checked from the day before. Yesterday some threads showed new posts from 21 January, although I've clearly read them already. Today I'm seeing a large list of threads & posts that I already checked out yesterday.

Basically, when I log in now, I need to go over each thread and check whether or not I've seen it the day before already. That can't be right, can it? :confused:

And yes I used the new link.

Now that a few weeks have passed, would anyone care to comment on the new system compared to the old?

Now that a few weeks have passed, would anyone care to comment on the new system compared to the old?

Seems to work fine :)
I doubt many people will notice the difference, but it's a "nice-to-have" update.

What has always been easiest to me is to go to the New Posts page and see what's the latest all in one place. I then mark them all read and check back periodically on the same page to see what's new.

The only tweak I'd ask for, and it's a trivial one, is to be returned to the page I began with when I click "mark forums read". As it is, I'm sent someplace else and have to click "New Posts" again.

Db