Undeletable Adware.

schoe

My PC crashed last night after being infected with a Hijacker programme and various other items of Adware.

The PC Shop solved some of the problem for me allowing me to get back on line and I have downloaded the NoAdware programme this found 26 items some graded severe and dangerous.

They have all been deleted except two keep re-appearing after I restart the computer and do another scan. They are obviously reloading on startup.

I attach a screenshot from the adware scan.

Does anybody please know how I terminate them for good?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• adware screenshot jpg.jpg
    adware screenshot jpg.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 749
Adware

schoe said:
My PC crashed last night after being infected with a Hijacker programme and various other items of Adware.

The PC Shop solved some of the problem for me allowing me to get back on line and I have downloaded the NoAdware programme this found 26 items some graded severe and dangerous.

They have all been deleted except two keep re-appearing after I restart the computer and do another scan. They are obviously reloading on startup.

I attach a screenshot from the adware scan.

Does anybody please know how I terminate them for good?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Schoe,
Cant guarantee that you will get rid of them completely but had real problems myself recently with adware and spyware a couple of good programmes you could try are Ad-aware SE personal(free) Spy Bot (free) and Spyware doctor and spy ferret.Not sure of URL's but a google search will find them.I found unfortunately that one programme doesnt seem to deal with all problems you may need to run a couple of them.Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Schoe,
I agree with Burney with the course of action. Hoewver adaware and spybot will only remove spyware,and both need to be run. It is necessary to run something like AVG in order to remove worms and trojans, which is obviously what's causing the problem in this case.
Ad-aware
www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware
Spybot S&D
www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
AVG Antivirus
www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

A decent firewall should also be employed, and make sure you think carefully before clicking on things that appear out of nowhere etc etc.

JonnyT said:
Try rhis:

Turn off System Restore
Log on using safe mode
Run Adaware SE from www.lavasoft.de

HTH

JonnyT

Thanks for all the replies everyone very helpful. JT I know how get into and run things in safe mode but how do I turn off system restore?

Many thanks.

Turning off System Restore

schoe said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone very helpful. JT I know how get into and run things in safe mode but how do I turn off system restore?

Many thanks.

Schoe
Right click on my computer icon then click on Sytem restore Tab then check box that says tunr off system restore.Once you have run the programmes and got rid of the problem turn it back on again by unchecking the box.

Good luck

Hi schoe,
I am sure u worked it out by now, but just in case u didnt..I think Burney inadvertenly missed the word properties from above. i.e. Right click on my computer icon...then properties...then system restore tab etc

You could also try the new Microsoft anti-spyware prog... http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
it's free tho in Beta version only at the moment. Many on the tech forum have said it is pretty good.

Hope that helps!

alliance said:
Hi schoe,
I am sure u worked it out by now, but just in case u didnt..I think Burney inadvertenly missed the word properties from above. i.e. Right click on my computer icon...then properties...then system restore tab etc

You could also try the new Microsoft anti-spyware prog... http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
it's free tho in Beta version only at the moment. Many on the tech forum have said it is pretty good.

Hope that helps!

Thanks once again for all the advice. Alliance i'm a bit of a numpty with computers i'm running windows ME and can't work out how to disable the system restore tab.there is no sign of it under properties. I'm still having problems as the dam things keep reappearing on new startups. ? Any idea's.

ah! No luck schoe...We were all assuming that u had Windows XP ...there is no sys restore in any other windows versions ...back to the drawing board :(

Just a thought Schoe but u could perhaps try to type that file name into ur search facility (usually found under Start...search) and when/if computer finds them...right click and delete. This may not work coz they are in system files and ur puter may not allow direct access to system files or they may be "hidden"...but worth a try I think. If it does work, remember to empty ur recycle bin straight away and certainly b4 u reboot!
Good Luck!

Schoe, Try a google search for windows/system/ide21201.vxd file. You will get some free trials here

aarie5 said:
Schoe, Try a google search for windows/system/ide21201.vxd file. You will get some free trials here

Thanks Aarie i've purchased PC Rescue and Adaware SE Plus I will get rid of the thing eventually this is war!