Ukraine invasion

That is where the stupidity lies imo. Not listening. Not communicating. Not caring. Just sheer bloody mindedness of it all.
I agree with the gist of your post At', but I think you're slightly off the mark with the final sentence. I believe people are listening and they do care, but they're only listening to the version of events that the neo-liberal elites running the show want them to hear. They are devoid of critical thinking and all too readily dismiss as propaganda anything that doesn't fit the mainstream narrative. Now, they may well be right in many cases, but to jump to that conclusion from the get go without at least considering other explanations is where they're going wrong, IMO. It's all to easy for the west and MSM who, as I've outlined already, have a vested interest in this conflict. All they need do is show some horrific scenes of carnage, point the finger at the Russians and, just like Pavlov's dog, hey presto the general public are salivating for Putin's head on a plate.

Now, before some subscribers to this thread get the wrong idea, I'll repeat yet again that I'm not apologising for Putin or his forces, I don't agree with the invasion, it's absolutely wrong and Putin should call a ceasefire and withdraw his troops immediately. However, the latter isn't going to happen unless and until Putin is able to present some sort of a win to his domestic audience. As things stand, there's little sign that I can see of Zelensky and the west helping him do that. Sadly, the contrary appears to be the case: more useless sanctions, more weapons provision and more war rhetoric. More of all the things in fact that will prolong the conflict rather than help bring it to a close.
Tim.

Added:

French researcher says footage from Bucha was meant to disrupt Moscow-Kiev talks

Last edited:
This monologue by Paul Weston sums up exactly where I stand on the issue. I struggle to find a single fault with anything he says. Absolutely nails it. Enjoy . . .

Oh sooo so subtle but some calculated reasons may be beginning to sink in.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As the world's wealthy democratic powers roll out a new round of sanctions against Russia in response to horrifying images of executed Ukrainians in the city of Bucha, it has become clear that the easiest options are now exhausted and stark differences have emerged among allies over next steps.

The European Union is set to take a first stab at Russia's energy sector in response to its invasion of Ukraine launched in February, banning imports of Russian coal.
But EU countries remain divided over whether and how to restrict Russia's gas and oil sectors that are more critical to their economies.

The United States and Group of Seven allies announced new sanctions on Russian financial institutions, state-owned enterprises and more Russian government officials and their family members. The United States also has banned Americans from new investment in Russia and barred Moscow from paying sovereign debt holders with money in U.S. banks.
(This is wrong! IMHO)

The moves may send Russians back to an austere 1980s Soviet-style lifestyle, as a U.S. official put it. But they are unlikely to put much of a dent in Russia's energy revenues, the lifeblood of its economy and fuel for its Ukraine invasion, according to U.S. sanctions analysts. (In there dreams imo)

This monologue by Paul Weston sums up exactly where I stand on the issue. I struggle to find a single fault with anything he says. Absolutely nails it. Enjoy . . .

Same here Tim,

The stench of hypocrisy is so crystal clear. US EU the West do not want a negotiated peace. As per now they are rubbing their palms with glee at the prospect of a prolonged war much like Afghanistan. So they dream.

Agreed and his position is not much different to ours. 100% on that.

FWIW I thought his comparison with Yemen where quarter of a million children were killed as a consequence of direct/indirect fighting and yet the US, UK and Canada continue to supply and train Saudis was most shocking.

No calls for war crimes, genocide or democratic government for the Saudis.

SHOCKING!

Absolute diabolical tripe that our MSM and Governments are.

Well Tim, Sunday see's the first round of the French presidential election. I see Macron in this picture and his closest rival is Le Penn, who is gaining ground at an alarming rate.
Any thoughts on what might happen?
Hi c_v,
I don't really follow French politics so no - I've no idea what might happen. My guess is that her popularity is based primarily on huge sections of the electorate being fed up to the back teeth with Macron (as opposed to a particular liking for her). The penny's dropped that he's a WEF alumni and a central figure in the 'Build Back Better' new world order and they don't much care for the direction the country's heading. On the flip side, I suspect Ms Le Penn's biggest problem is that she's her father's daughter and, no matter how much she waters down her policies on immigration, she will always be labeled 'far right' - as per the BBC article you linked to. That said, the stigma attached to being 'far right' is losing its sting - along with its meaning - as anyone who questions the mainstream narrative on any of the big issues of the day is written off as such. I'm far right in the eyes of many, lol! Anyway, I hope she wins, it'll be the biggest political upset since Trump - who I think will be challenging Biden in 2024. If the Canadians can get shot of that utterly despicable low life Trudeau, then there may - just may - be some hope for the west. First things first though: now Elon Musk is on Twitter's board, he needs to restore Trump's account. ;-)
Tim.

Just googled to see what Le Penn's great vision for France is and got this.

Le Pen has pledged to take France out of NATO and the US sphere of influence. She proposes the replacement of the World Trade Organization, and the abolition of the International Monetary Fund. Le Pen and the NF claim that multiculturalism has failed, and argue for the "de-Islamisation" of French society.

:rolleyes:

Just googled to see what Le Penn's great vision for France is and got this.

Le Pen has pledged to take France out of NATO and the US sphere of influence. She proposes the replacement of the World Trade Organization, and the abolition of the International Monetary Fund. Le Pen and the NF claim that multiculturalism has failed, and argue for the "de-Islamisation" of French society.

:rolleyes:

Are you surprised that nationalism becomes socially acceptable when nationalism in Ukraine is celebrated and fueled with weapons for nazis?
I personally would appreciate if France leaves the NATO if the U.S. continue to abuse this alliance for the goals of some strange people ruling there.

Hi c_v,
I don't really follow French politics so no - I've no idea what might happen. My guess is that her popularity is based primarily on huge sections of the electorate being fed up to the back teeth with Macron (as opposed to a particular liking for her). The penny's dropped that he's a WEF alumni and a central figure in the 'Build Back Better' new world order and they don't much care for the direction the country's heading. On the flip side, I suspect Ms Le Penn's biggest problem is that she's her father's daughter and, no matter how much she waters down her policies on immigration, she will always be labeled 'far right' - as per the BBC article you linked to. That said, the stigma attached to being 'far right' is losing its sting - along with its meaning - as anyone who questions the mainstream narrative on any of the big issues of the day is written off as such. I'm far right in the eyes of many, lol! Anyway, I hope she wins, it'll be the biggest political upset since Trump - who I think will be challenging Biden in 2024. If the Canadians can get shot of that utterly despicable low life Trudeau, then there may - just may - be some hope for the west. First things first though: now Elon Musk is on Twitter's board, he needs to restore Trump's account. ;-)
Tim.

Well, I guess it all depends on where the other candidates support goes when the shortlist is whittled down. Zemmour is right wing, not sure about the others politics. Time to do some reading homework for me.

Biden and the mid-terms, that's going to be fun ! I don't see Biden standing in 2024 so Trump looks like a shoe in, high profile, known quantity etc.

Musk probably needs to bid for the company to get meaningful control. Just being on the board as largest shareholder probably won't be enough.

Last edited:
Yes, the people trying to stay alive destroyed Mariupol -- Russia was just delivering humanitarian aid via missiles and artillery.:rolleyes:

Yes, the people trying to stay alive destroyed Mariupol -- Russia was just delivering humanitarian aid via missiles and artillery.:rolleyes:

The idea of using them to rebuild the city worked great in the past and sounds like another wonderful idea. It will surely help Ivashchenko's re-election re-appointment campaign.:)
What you say may be worthy of consideration if you only spoke up and enlightened us about the activities of the Azov Battalion prior to the intervention by Russian forces.

Do you not see the duplicity of your position?

It's all about sides.

Now that it has come to our awareness would you like to comment about the sale of weapons and training given to Saudi Arabia in their destruction and attacks on the Yemenese people?

:unsure:

What you say may be worthy of consideration if you only spoke up and enlightened us about the activities of the Azov Battalion prior to the intervention by Russian forces.

It's all about sides.

Now that it has come to our awareness would you like to comment about the sale of weapons and training given to Saudi Arabia in their destruction and attacks on the Yemenese people?

Middle East has always been full of nutters and it's miles away and the press have not made it the issue of the day. So now you know why nobody is talking about it. Ukraine on the other hand is right on our doorstep, so of course we are talking about it. Bleedin obvious innit. :ROFLMAO:

It's all about sides.

I'll try to "enlighten" you (for entertainment purposes only, of course). Russia invaded and annexed Crimea from Ukraine in February and March of 2014. Russia foments militants in the Donetsk Oblast, the same place that voted overwhelmingly for Ukrainian independence as the Soviet Union was dissolving, to revolt (by force, not by popular vote) and declare independence from Ukraine in May of 2014.

Most countries usually don't like another country invading them or having territories secede (remember Chechnya and Chechnya again, but this time with Vlad in charge?). The Azov Battalion forms about the same time as the Donetsk revolt and starts fighting for control of their area in June of 2014.

The Azov Battalion might not be the kind of neighbors I'd want to live next to, but they are trying to repel invaders.

Regarding Saudi Arabia, their government isn't one I'd want to be making rules for me, but they started helping Yemen after Iranian-backed Houthi's revolted. That's defensive, so my sympathies are slightly more with that side.

This Bob Moran cartoon sums up where the majority stand on the big issues of the day. As everyone knows, the majority are almost always wrong! :)

Bob_Moran.jpg