UK Resident Demo-Account/Data Feed Provider

JoshTrader

Hey

So i am looking to paper trade stocks (so no fx, options, futures etc...) primarily micro-cap but i can't find any free data feeds online (plenty of £50-200 a month though).

I have downloaded NinjaTrader as i believe this is one of the few platforms to offer a free platform without a brokerage account but in terms of a reliable data feed i am yet to find anything.

A good option would have been E*Trade or TDameritrade account but they don't offer UK residents paper accounts any more.

The best solution i have seen is the End-Of-Day data by Kinetick but even is not real-time so not helpful. I haven't even seen any mention of available T/S, Level 2 for Sim Accounts.

In Summary:
What is the best Trading Platform and Market Data Feed a UK resident can obtain for a Demo/Paper-Account?

Found this:
http://www.firstspreads.com/free-level-2 Haven't gone through the sign up process yet but i'm hoping i will be able to take the level 2 feed and import it to Ninja or use their bespoke software.

I'll keep researching.

Last edited:
Interactive Broker looks good with their TWS platform, but i need to have a live account in order to play paper account which will cost upwards of £2k for the minimum deposit.

I intend to open up an account with them anyway eventually so i wonder if it is worth letting the money sit while i demo.

So i have set up NT7 with the Kinetick feed and can view some bluechip stocks on a daily chart, but i can't seem to find other stock exchanges such as FTSE or OTCBB, can i get those on the Kinetick feed?

I found that there are level 2s on NT7 but it's seems that the trades of the day haven't been saved so i cant view them, is there a way to save it so i can review the tape after market hours?

I'll continue to look at other platforms.

Looked at http://tradingsimulation.com/tsimlite/ which seems good if you want index or forex trading, the rest, again needs an IB account.

Last edited:
NT7 is a very clunky platform to use in my opinion, so i am looking for alternatives.

The SureTrader Demo is a little nicer so i'll be using that for only 7 days, as i believe this is a trial like account.

Edit: The spreads are ridiculous on this demo, are these actual quoted prices or a simulation?
i have around $7000 on pre-market orders and have automatically a -$3000 of unrealised, due to the spread. I can't use this if this is the case, not realistic.

Last edited:
I am using the SureTrader Trading Software w/Demo Account and i try to put a Limit @ $X for a Short of a stock.
For a random reason it instantly executes and i am down 2K.

Hmm seems odd, i try again making sure everything is in order, click, down 5k.

Safe to say i won't be using this software for real, this is why testing with demo accounts is so important. The general UI as well is clunky and ancient Win2000 throwback.

I will be moving on to the eSignal 30-day trial in a couple day so i can give feedback to how it is.

If anyone wants to give a hand instead of me just chasing my tail trying to find a reliable Demo-Account that a UK resident can use then that would probably save me a lot of time.

Hey

So i am looking to paper trade stocks (so no fx, options, futures etc...) primarily micro-cap but i can't find any free data feeds online (plenty of £50-200 a month though).

I have downloaded NinjaTrader as i believe this is one of the few platforms to offer a free platform without a brokerage account but in terms of a reliable data feed i am yet to find anything.

A good option would have been E*Trade or TDameritrade account but they don't offer UK residents paper accounts any more.

The best solution i have seen is the End-Of-Day data by Kinetick but even is not real-time so not helpful. I haven't even seen any mention of available T/S, Level 2 for Sim Accounts.

In Summary:
What is the best Trading Platform and Market Data Feed a UK resident can obtain for a Demo/Paper-Account?

Found this:
http://www.firstspreads.com/free-level-2 Haven't gone through the sign up process yet but i'm hoping i will be able to take the level 2 feed and import it to Ninja or use their bespoke software.

I'll keep researching.
Micro-cap, I think you’ll struggle.

I know CFD/SB firms do demo accounts. Accendo markets, ig markets etc. Not sure if they’ll have small caps though, but worth a look.

I think you could probably open a live account with one of these guys and pay the ten quid (around that price) for the feeds though. Anyway, let me know what you find. I doubt you’ll find anything free, probably costs them to have the feed – particularly if smaller cap.