UK Politics

1 month in and we have a quite predictable total disaster of a PM.

For starters, Rishi would not have gone down the tax cutting, fiscally irresponsible route.

She isn't wired up right, as the vid montage demonstrates.

2 months in and she chops the chancellor, to save her own skin, who essentially carried out her half baked economic idea with the mini budget. Hard to see how she will survive the wrath of MP's and the angry electorate. I give it 4 weeks max.

As previously discussed, the caliber of politicians is falling the world over and we seem to be leading that race to the bottom.

The root of the problem probably lies in the fact that modern day politicians can make a full career just out of politicking as opposed to ever having worked at a real job.

Perhaps it's time to introduce a vetting procedure to automatically rule out candidates with zero real world/ work experience.

2 months in and she chops the chancellor, to save her own skin, who essentially carried out her half baked economic idea with the mini budget. Hard to see how she will survive the wrath of MP's and the angry electorate. I give it 4 weeks max.

As previously discussed, the caliber of politicians is falling the world over and we seem to be leading that race to the bottom.

The root of the problem probably lies in the fact that modern day politicians can make a full career just out of politicking as opposed to ever having worked at a real job.

Perhaps it's time to introduce a vetting procedure to automatically rule out candidates with zero real world/ work experience.
We have had a sequence of appallingly inept Prime Ministers. Each new one seems somehow to find ways to sink to depths of incompetence lower than their predecessor.

I share your distrust of professional politicians. Trouble is when you start down the road of stipulating previous jobs which would be a good required qualification for Prime Minister, you almost immediately put military commander into the list. And that sends us off on a new downward spiral road.

We have had a sequence of appallingly inept Prime Ministers. Each new one seems somehow to find ways to sink to depths of incompetence lower than their predecessor.

I share your distrust of professional politicians. Trouble is when you start down the road of stipulating previous jobs which would be a good required qualification for Prime Minister, you almost immediately put military commander into the list. And that sends us off on a new downward spiral road.
Depends on what you describe as a “commander” - we have had some excellent ex-military politicians (and a few dodgy ones - Eric Stuart Joyce (Labour) comes to mind) who have been Military Officers (and ORs). VSO’s either have something lucrative lined up in Civi St or are shuffled off to the Lords if senior enough.
I think you would be surprised at the overall disdain of politicians in the Military! (apart from the obvious butt snorkeler careerist Officers when “visits” are on).

c_v,
Broadly speaking, I agree with your comments, although Tom makes a good point about previous 'real world work experience'.

Where you're waaaaaaaay out is in your four week time line. At best, Truss has got until the end of next week. The Tories know they have to take very swift and decisive action, and that means Truss going and being replaced by Rishi Sunak asap. That's not to say I want him as PM - but he's their only option and the only person who might (note emphasis) save them from an early general election in which they'd be completely crushed by Labour and result in Kier Starmer becoming PM with a massive HoC majority.
Tim.

I was thinking Tim that she has until Monday lunch-time. By then she needs to get across Jeremy Hunt's first take on his new job and what he intends to do beyond the immediate, convince her supporting MP's she can take the administration forward, convince the party's neutral MP's to sit on their hands plus deter the hostile MP's from any early coup attempt. Potentially also convince the Bank of England of future plans.

I don't think she can do it. I think by Monday bed-time she will have resigned in favour of the Deputy PM to become Acting PM. Whoever that is by then.

Truss is Toast.. either now or later. Irreparably damaged. The first cut is the cheapest as they say… Beggars belief the incompetence. Tory membership like sheep voting for her, pathetic.

Truss is Toast.. either now or later. Irreparably damaged. The first cut is the cheapest as they say… Beggars belief the incompetence. Tory membership like sheep voting for her, pathetic.
The election process is unfit for purpose. It should be for the MP's to elect a prospective PM. This could be done inside 7 days but in the meantime the Deputy PM is PM and the old PM must vacate 10 Downing Street.

The membership of the party is considerably to the right of the Parliamentary MP's. This inevitably means that the candidates selected by the MP's for the membership to vote on are not those whom the membership would have chosen. The resulting PM is the least bad option of bad options.

I love democracy but I am not entirely convinced that the party card-carriers re the most competent people to select a prospective PM anyway. I would have thought that an MP was the fittest person for that kind of judgement. And why should they be allowed to take all that money and then evade the responsibility of the position?

PM of Norwich City.
@counter_violent

1666003386267.png

UK politics has gone down the toilet these last few years. They just replace 1 clown with another.

Setting up Deckchair and popcorn….. it’s just goes from bad to worse. Britain must be the laughing stock of the world through hubris and rank incompetence. Let’s get this over and move on….jeeez

There is infinite amusement in this, watching the two major parties squirm and twist to justify their positions on the "new" policies, while still trying to maintain separation between their "principles".

Meantime Ed Davey just has to continue shouting, "Why is nobody listening to me?". Which is all he can say really.

I can't see a strategy that ends well for the Conservative party. They just haven't realised yet that they started committing political suicide on Johnson's resignation. They have effectively resigned from politics.

I wonder if a government can hand over No.10 to the opposition party without a general election?

You can tell Liz Truss is not going to be in the job for long when -
  • her Home Secretary accidentally on purpose sends a not- Top Secret document via her personal phone
  • she has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to appoint a self-confessed fraud and liar to the office of Home Secretary
  • the Chief and Deputy Whips are told to resign and then to un-resign

Add your own technical indicators.

Keith Starmer must be quaking in his boots that he might actually get into No.10 and have to make some decisions. He is a plastic Marxist.

I thank you, I thank you!
:p

Errr, nope.

She is still PM until the next One is installed.

So, 4 weeks max is a much more accurate description.

(y) 🇺🇦 :ROFLMAO: 🥉 (y)

In any case. She may change her mind yet ! She is renowned for U turns. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Keith Starmer must be quaking in his boots that he might actually get into No.10 and have to make some decisions. He is a plastic Marxist.

What is the difference between a “Plastic Marxist” as opposed to a Laminated Polystyrene Marxist or even a Teflon Marxist?