TwoWayFutures or TradeStation?

sarahman

Hi, I am just getting ready to take the plunge into day trading futures, and was hoping for some recommendations as to which software, data feed and broker I should use. These are my initial constraints:

1) I am based in the UK and would like to start with a balance of around $40,000, risking around 1-1.5% maximum on each bet. I can add to that balance quickly if things seem to be going smoothly.

2) I would like to trade the Mini-Dow and Mini-S&P futures initially, so would like real-time data for YM and ES, including access to historic real-time data for backtesting.

3) I need a charting and/or trading software package which is fully programmable so that it can enter and exit trades automatically without requiring my intervention, and can handle fairly sophisticated entries and exits.

4) The software must allow me to backtest and optimise strategies prior to trading them live, and a simulation mode would also be handy.

5) I would obviously like to lose as little money as possible on commissions/spreads.

So far, the TradeStation software package seems to be most promising - but it is also quite expensive at $100/month - unless you use their own brokerage of course, which admittedly has the advantage of relatively low commissions (about $4.20 RT per contract). On the other hand, there is the currency risk, and any gains will be taxable.

On the other hand, TwoWayFutures offers tax-free gains, is a UK company, but has slightly greater spreads - about $6.30 RT per contract - and I would have to pay extra for the TradeStation software if I were to use it.

A number of other software packages, data providers and brokerages have been praised on these boards, so I am not sure which ones to go for.

My feeling is that sticking to TradeStation for all three (i.e. software, data and broker) will turn out to be the cheapest, though I would appreciate any advice on the matter from anyone with more experience.

Thanks!

- SR

Assuming that your status means gains will be taxed as CGT, then it probably makes sense to trade with the cheapest broker until you've used up your £8,800 limit and then consider your options. By then you'll have a better idea how your method works vs. the compromise of lower tax vs lower trading costs. I don't have experience with tradestation, but can recommend the platform and execution of TWF as I do use them. Interactive Brokers seem to be popular too - have you looked at them?

TS is probably your most straight forwar solution and as far as execution is concerned fine for US index futures. If you are worried about fx exposure then hedge it with x futures in your account.

Jack o'Clubs said:
Assuming that your status means gains will be taxed as CGT, then it probably makes sense to trade with the cheapest broker until you've used up your £8,800 limit and then consider your options. By then you'll have a better idea how your method works vs. the compromise of lower tax vs lower trading costs. I don't have experience with tradestation, but can recommend the platform and execution of TWF as I do use them. Interactive Brokers seem to be popular too - have you looked at them?

Dear Jack o'Clubs,

Thanks for the advice. I took a look at Interactive Brokers, and yes they seem to be as competitive as TradeStation, but with the account still in the UK. So it looks like it may be best to start with IB to reduce commissions initially, and then change to TWF later if things go well?

Best wishes,

- SR

I'd consider Interactive Brokers. If you want autotrading then you'll have to knock up a program via their API which will involve some work. Also, no great backtesting facility other than extracting historical data yourself via the API again and creating your own backtester. Also your money will actually go to the US although the UK office may assist. Nevertheless, IB is a good brokerage with excellent functionality once you get more deeply into it.

Good luck !

rog1111

Last edited:
rog1111 said:
I'd consider Interactive Brokers. If you want autotrading then you'll have to knock up a program via their API which will involve some work. Also, no great backtesting facility other than extracting historical data yourself via the API again and creating your own backtester. Also your money will actually go to the US although the UK office may assist. Nevertheless, IB is a good brokerage with excellent functionality once you get more deeply into it.

Good luck !

rog1111

Thanks rog1111 for the well-wishes. I don't mind putting in a bit of extra work coding at first - hopefully the eventual benefits will justify the effort made. I am not too concerned about what the brokers do with their money once they have it - I just prefer the peace of mind of knowing that they have representation here in the UK that I can contact easily if necessary. Thanks also twalker for the sensible advice re hedging exchange rates. Its good to know that there a number of viable options available.

Regards,

-SR