Two Laptops one broadban line.

hogan107

I had only one laptop on my broadband line for the longest time and i just bought a new one soo ive been messing around with my second laptop to try and get it to work on one line ive been doing everything manully configuring the connecction soo it goes off the same IP address but its still not working it says it connected but when i click the internet it just says I cant view the page, so, its not receiving anythings ....umm so is there anything im doing wrong im not really the best with computers

So if its across the hall you must be using a wireless connection.
On your new laptop you might just have the local connection configured.
I.e It connections to the modem but has not got permission from the modem to connect to the net.
Make sure you give it access from the modem to the net.
If this does not help put the question in the techie forum.
good luck

... ive been doing everything manully configuring the connecction soo it goes off the same IP address but its still not working it says it connected but when i click the internet it just says I cant view the page, so, its not receiving anythings ....umm so is there anything im doing wrong im not really the best with computers

Same IP address is not a good idea. That might be the problem. Doesn't the modem/router support DHCP?

Same IP address is not a good idea. That might be the problem. Doesn't the modem/router support DHCP?

If you're running XP why not set both laptops up on a local network? This will issue different IPs via DHCP as has already been suggested. XP has a wizard to do all this for you. If you have a firewall you'll need to tell it also (some eg Zone Alarm will detect for you). You may also need to tell the router. It will aslo prevent access by your neighbour across the hall (if that's wanted) I run 3-4 PCs / laptops this way no problems.

have you turned the wireless communication switch, on the laptop on. usually found on the side or at the front.

So you run 3/4 laptops from one broadband connection? Is there any deterioration in quality?

What router would you recommend (not a wireless router)?

Grant.

So you run 3/4 laptops from one broadband connection? Is there any deterioration in quality?

What router would you recommend (not a wireless router)?

Grant.

Grant,

I usually run 2 laptops & I PC. All Win XP, 2.8 pentium 4 or laptop rough equivalent. This is only for light office use - no games or simultaneous video download etc - just general surfing, eod trading (no stress) and idling life away readingT2W! There probably is a technical deterioration but none in (my) practical terms. Most "home" routers come with 4 distribution ports so connection isn't a problem. But if you hook up 4 people all downloading from BBCi then it will probably be quite slow on a normal domestic cheapo ISP type line. Like most things in IT, the correct way is to first decide what you want to do, then get the hardware & software to meet that spec. Many people do it the other way round then wonder why it doesn't work very well !

My ISP is MetroNet Metronet - Pay As You Go Broadband (subsidiary of Plusnet) dead cheap, totally reliable, 3.5 meg download speed, about 1.7km from exchange.

I currently have a Belkin WiFi router with a Linksys WiFi spare - both dead cheap - the Belkin was special offer at Argos (no good for Xmas prezzies and today's IT youths). Yesterday's spec but does my job perfectly. Previously I've used a Linksys non-wireless router and a Solwise with no problems. If you are using a non-wifi router, it will be cheaper, more reliable, faster connection via cat 5 cable and provide you with plenty of wires to trip over.

If you want absolute top performance then consult the tech forums and contact your mortgage broker. Be prepared for endless conflicting advice (bit like which indicator should i use :LOL:). The second tier kit is so cheap now, that unless you know that you need a top performance system then you might just as well buy it & try it.

You may find these sites useful:

HardwareGuys.com Messageboard
ADSL, ISDN, VoIP, Networking, Wireless, Advice....Solwise Ltd
Solwise Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Back in the days when I knew nothing about PCs (& I don't know that much now) the people at Solwise were very helpful over the phone at advising a complete customer nightmare what to buy.

These guys Morgan Computers do some reasonable end of line kit - Linksys router for £20 with 3 dist ports - but you can get a wifi for a little more. You can switch off wifi if you don't need it. If you google for it there is plenty of cheap kit available - ok for home use but obviously for pro or corporate use then you need to pay a lot more for top brands & support (nobody got sacked for buying Cisco etc) but I don't think most home users come into that category.

Remember also, that unless you "know" someone in IT you'll have to buy some cat 5 cables with RJ45 connectors - won't break the bank but you don't need these with wifi (possibly just 1 for testing etc).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the excellent info. Looks like it's going to involve some research.

Grant.