TSim+

alan5616

Established member
Can anybody help with a problem concerning TSim+? Emails to the author receive no response, unfortunately.

The software works fine on my previous PC (Win 2k Pro). I recently upgraded to a state of the art, high speed PC, running XP Home. Every time I try to connect TSim+ to IB, it crashes giving a Windows error message. I did upgrade the IB TWS platform but, uninstalled it in case this was causing the problem. I installed the previous version and it made no difference.

If anybody can help with this, then I would be very grateful.

alan5616 said:
Can anybody help with a problem concerning TSim+? Emails to the author receive no response, unfortunately.

The software works fine on my previous PC (Win 2k Pro). I recently upgraded to a state of the art, high speed PC, running XP Home. Every time I try to connect TSim+ to IB, it crashes giving a Windows error message. I did upgrade the IB TWS platform but, uninstalled it in case this was causing the problem. I installed the previous version and it made no difference.

If anybody can help with this, then I would be very grateful.

Infuriating isn't it but an excellent app. I also use Bracket Trader...

You need to restart Windows, then before doing anything else, go into Control Panel, select Add or Remove Programs, then remove the following, in this order:

1. TSim
2. TWS
3. TWS Interopability components (that's the API)

Then restart Windows, then install the following, in this order,

1. TWS
2. The previous version of the API
3. TSim latest version

If this doesn't work then you have to search and delete all files that relate to TSim from your Hard drive (this may take some time)

I had to do this because the software isn't designed to clean up after itself.

But all is working fine now. Make sure you have the previous API (8.7)

Rols,

Thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately, I've carried out the procedure that you suggested. Just to make sure that there were no lingering bits of the program, I ran a software app, for registry clean up, after each stage.

I would have been much happier paying $100 for TSim+, with some tech support, instead of the problems that I'm now having. As you said, it's a very useful piece of software. Very simple and effective. I've been looking at Button Trader, and have downloaded their simulator version. However, I'm always apprehensive when, what should be a very simple application, has a user manual of 80+ pages and a reference manual of 200+.

I haven't looked at Bracket Trader, but will do so. My short term solution is to network the old PC to the new one. I will then run TSim+ (IB) on the old machine and leave the new PC to handle the realtime data and charting. I think that this may be the only solution.

An even better solution (medium term) is to get a friend of mine, who is a programmer, to write a similar app to TSim+, using the new 8.85 API.

alan5616 said:
Rols,

Thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately, I've carried out the procedure that you suggested. Just to make sure that there were no lingering bits of the program, I ran a software app, for registry clean up, after each stage.

I would have been much happier paying $100 for TSim+, with some tech support, instead of the problems that I'm now having. As you said, it's a very useful piece of software. Very simple and effective. I've been looking at Button Trader, and have downloaded their simulator version. However, I'm always apprehensive when, what should be a very simple application, has a user manual of 80+ pages and a reference manual of 200+.

I haven't looked at Bracket Trader, but will do so. My short term solution is to network the old PC to the new one. I will then run TSim+ (IB) on the old machine and leave the new PC to handle the realtime data and charting. I think that this may be the only solution.

An even better solution (medium term) is to get a friend of mine, who is a programmer, to write a similar app to TSim+, using the new 8.85 API.

Are you sure you've deleted all of the related files? I had to do it manually.
Button Trader looks too fussy for my tastes and Bracket Trader is good but you need to load a new instance for every vehicle, while with TSim you can have as many as you like in the one
app.

Your short term solution sounds good.

Happy trading...

Rols,

My son, who works in IT, was here with me when I was doing this. He went through the registry with a fine toothcomb. Everything was removed.

I guess it's going to be the old PC for TSim+. I don't really mind this as, I have a dual head graphics card on the new PC , with two 19"monitors. I can run the older PC with my antique 15" CRT. I only need to see the TSim on it. It may be a silver lining behind the clouds.

Thanks for your help