Troubleshooting Android x86 on an old Windows laptop

D

Dowser

Hi Folks, I had this idea to turn an old laptop into a dedicated security camera controller/recorder using a cheap IP camera and App. The camera and app work ok (using my phone as the brains), but my old laptop doesn't seem to get on with x86. Basically, it'll run for a few minutes and then crash. Any operation appears to cause it to crash; loading apps, changing setting, clicking buttons... anything! I watched plenty of Youtube videos that all seem to suggest x86 is stable and reliable and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of 'Troubleshooting'. I should add that the latest version of x86 wouldn't run at all and I ended up using the previous 32 bit version (8.5). I am currently running the camera from my PC but the Windows version of the app has limited functionality, seems to use a lot of processing power and I don't like leaving my PC on all the time. Any ideas or suggestions most welcome.

You could try installing the Linux operating system as it is very good for making an old pc / laptop usable again. It uses so much less resource but it does need some technical knowledge to get it to work just right. If you do go down that route try Linux Mint as this is a version that most resembles Windows. Before you do though check that any software you want to use is compatible with Linux although you can install something called Virtual PC that lets you use pretty much any Windows program.

You could try installing the Linux operating system as it is very good for making an old pc / laptop usable again. It uses so much less resource but it does need some technical knowledge to get it to work just right. If you do go down that route try Linux Mint as this is a version that most resembles Windows. Before you do though check that any software you want to use is compatible with Linux although you can install something called Virtual PC that lets you use pretty much any Windows program.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. It is specifically an android app that I want to use though, is it fairly straightforward to get Android apps running on Linux systems?

I watched another video on setting up x86 during which he edited the kernel and replaced the word 'quiet' with 'nomodeset xforceversa' which is something to do with the video driver. Anyway that seems to have solved the problem.

I consider PCs more practical than laptops because an old computer can be upgraded and replacing outdated parts you'll get a new powerful computer. With a laptop, the situation is more complicated.
Well, only if it's Mac, in which case you'll find it's impossible to upgrade it yourself in any way at all.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: