Trading with point and figure

- Modest schedule of statistics unlikely to have much impact as market
tone sours; digesting UK BRC Retail Sales, Oz Retail Sales, German
Orders and as expected no change RBA; busier day for govt bond sales
and more corporate earnings; ECB/Fed speak and Brexit talks

** EVENTS PREVIEW **

The day's schedule is not without its points of interest, but whether it can geneuinely impinge on the current bout of markets navel-gazing at their own internal (meltdown?) dynamics is doubtful. Be that as it may the next round of UK/EU Brexit talks gets under way, even though the UK's negotiating position appears of the variety 'we don't know what we really want, but it has to be fantastic dah-ling'. Elsehwere there is central bank speak from ECB's Weidmann and Fed's Bullard, though it is doubtful that either will offer any materially fresh insights. Statistically, the highlights look to be among the overnight run of UK BRC Retail Sales, Australia Retail Sales / Trade Balance and German Factory Orders, with the US Trade data really only of interest for any revisions to the Goods balance (above all in terms of Q4 GDP revisions), while the JOLTS JObs Openings will likely reaffirm the obvious strength of US labour demand. In corporate earnings terms, the headlines are likely to come via way of Toyota, BNP Paribas, BP, Anadarko Petroleum, Gilead Sciences, Snap and Walt Disney. There is no doubting that the recent rise in bond yields has fashioned a notable concession for today's run of govt bond sales that will see the US kick off its 'quarterly refunding' with $26.0 Bln of 3-yr, which will be preceded by EUR 1.38 Bln total of 5 & 10 yr from Austria, EUR 1.0 Bln of 2026 Inflation-Linked Bunds and the likely launch of the syndicated sales of UK 2048 Index-Linked Gilts.

from Marc Ostwald

Well in the interests of monetary transparency (and in total contrast to inziman's success) I lost £150 on Friday and then lost £220 yesterday attempting to catch Wall Street & DAX bounces at dumb places. Both losses I can happily live with :cheesy:

So... did anyone other than inziman make a good few hundred points on the short side?

well done to Inzi..at least he got his trading account back in order
#
i am a bit different to most of you
i trade the p/f method...so i am virtually always in a trade...usually waiting for the break .As you can see..the breaks come faster at the beginning of the session
3-5 quid a point.I should up it...but its out of my comfort zone

i am a bit different to most of you
i trade the p/f method

I wasn't trading levels yes, I was punting, my two trades were just gambles at £2/point nothing more nothing less.

And yes your trading is quite quite different :cool:

Tokyo Joe is bang on the money.

dax

ka1gfl.png

Morning all...such fun yesterday!

Referring to f2's enquiry - I don't really have much to do with indices but yesterday I lost 106 pips in approximately the same number of seconds on the Dow against my sole trade earlier in the day on EG which netted me a handsome +22:) ...leaving me down for the day 84.

I'm very much small fry as I'm only doing £1 per. Don't really have any hard targets as this is still part-time for me but I try and average out somewhere between 50 to 100 pips a day. ...preferably on the plus side:p

My trading style is characterized by utter cowardice with the occasional bout of insanity - like yesterday's Dow punt:whistling

Anyway, long EG this morning from .8860 with an LO in at .8905 which it didn't reach. Will probably bail out if we get to .8890 again.

Well in the interests of monetary transparency (and in total contrast to inziman's success) I lost £150 on Friday and then lost £220 yesterday attempting to catch Wall Street & DAX bounces at dumb places. Both losses I can happily live with :cheesy:

So... did anyone other than inziman make a good few hundred points on the short side?

Stood aside apart from a punt with small stakes at a supposed support level on the ftse. When that got trollied I remained flat. Small consistent gains are the way forward. I'll remain flat till the market regains some equilibrium wherever that may be...