Trading the SPX

Well they went for a push up with record oil prices.... so next time it goes to record highs will they still use the same excuse if the market falls?
So what will they do after hours tonight?

This market is nuts... up the hill, down the hill, up the hill down the hill....

Hmm, futures falling...as soon as market close!!

Will they be down 50 in the morning ... for a change?

This is really mess about market

Racer said:
Hmm, futures falling...as soon as market close!!

Will they be down 50 in the morning ... for a change?

This is really mess about market

Racer

I have often seen people talk of manipulation to the cash market. It has seemed over the last few days like this, particularly today but if that is so would the futures also not be manipulated?

Orky

thought we would rise into the close, it went past my 660 target though. Dell coming off 5% has at least tempered the obligatory post hours rise. truth be told, if we are up when I wake up tomorrow morning i will be pretty pissed off. Enough is enough!

orky said:
Racer

I have often seen people talk of manipulation to the cash market. It has seemed over the last few days like this, particularly today but if that is so would the futures also not be manipulated?

Orky

Easy to do, not a problem in thin out of hours trading if you have enough money! Or even in normal trading if you are the PPT!

I am a cynic.. I have seen too much evidence of insider trading over the years! :eek:

Last edited:
Hello, Joules. Where is the volume? For the newbies out there.....Why should there be a big interest at this price level? Except for the smaller day trades/time frames. The volume is there....it's just not investment volume? Big money doesn't just go in anywhere. Newbies...take note of the big volume also take note that it is delayed in price on the longer time scales. Joules, this post was not directed at yourself. Sincerely, RUDEBOY

Joules, definately! Intraday wise, there are going to be somewhat larger pops either way. That's to do with the price movement at the moment. RUDEBOY.

It's only a matter of time? This means nothing, i know. But if i said that a person has to "price themselves into 'the' time", then it should take on a whole new concept? RUDEBOY, for the newbies.

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--For the past several years, U.S. consumers have been famously treating their homes like giant ATM machines.

By extracting home equity through borrowing, cash-out refinancing and capital gains on home sales, they have been doing their part to keep consumption moving along.

But amid signs that house price gains may be peaking, which some see as a precursor to a wider slowdown in the housing market, those times may be coming to an end - and that may be felt in the economy in a major way.

Households can spend the wealth accumulating in their homes in several ways: Refinancing is one channel, selling the home is another. Homeowners can also borrow up to the maximum limit on their credit cards and spend money that way, on the presumption the debt will be offset by appreciation in their homes. Or they can simply not save a dime and spend all their income.

The spending of those funds is what shows up in gross domestic product. According to Lehman Brothers economist Joseph Abate, these various forms of home equity extraction have been responsible for 40% of GDP growth since 2001.

The economy "has become so dependent" on these various forms of spending that the effect could be quite pronounced on GDP growth when strong home price appreciation and housing turnover (the rate of sales) slows, he said.

Hi Joules

Have you've seen Bryce's Count :?:

Bryce Gilmore said:
Elliott Wave has some unbreakable rules and our count complies with the original rules as Ralph Elliott described them.

How could you explain the so called GURU of EW calling this market down since the beginning of 2003? Even the usurper to the Precther throne Mr Miner has had it wrong for 3 years as well. I wonder how they ever manage to get people to subscribe to their newsletters when their record of forecasting is second to none in the get it wrong category.

But what you need to realise is that no matter what the count is people are relying on a strategy like EW to invest BILLIONS of dollars of someone elses money. Unfortunately some get it right and others don't. It takes years to realise the ones that get it wrong because they are very cunning at covering up their tracks.

If we get it wrong even for a day we will tell you what the latest update is and admit why immediately. Nevertheless you will never make money consistently using EW on a longer term basis as there are too many variables. It is only valuable on a week to week basis to appraise what the ASTUTE followers of EW are most likely to be thinking.

For what it is worth this is our current wave count on the weekly S&P500.

The reason people become newsletter writers is because they could never make it as a trader and now all they offer you is a membership in failure.

At least Robert Prechter does not claim to be a trader but that guy Miner claims he is a WORLD CHAMPION TRADER.

His record is a bit non descript because he made 120% on a $10,000 account over a year back in 1993 or somewhere and didn't tell anyone he had entered the contest for the previous 2 years and blown out his account both times. In my books that adds up to -$10,000, -$10,000, + $12000 for a net result over 3 years of MINUS $8,000.

So when you look back and see how rediculous the situation is for the public you will know why we have an SEC and an CFTC to look at everyones claims.

Attachments

• S&P bbg.JPG
    S&P bbg.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 203
  • S&P m bbg.JPG
    S&P m bbg.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
NY Fed's Mfg Index 23.04 In Aug Vs 23.91 July

But....

The prices paid index increased to 29.00 from 21.57 in July, but the prices received index slipped into negative territory with a reading of -1.00 from 0.98, showing that manufacturers have lost their ability to pass on costs.

So earnings down, yet having to spend more on fuel and other costs, still wanting to spend more by taking money out of houses and not saving...
I must say that is a good way to live life and be prosperous