Trading the SPX

joules... put/call ratio being high? doesn't that indicate that there is more likely scope for upside. Speculators betting on a pull back and the fact that the options boys are often wrong. Normally a good contrarian indicator. Thoughts?

hornblower said:
crude oil is volatile 61.50/61.43

Oh, that will be the reason for the market going up.. cos it went down, but now it is going up XOM and the other oils will go up and make the market go up
:rolleyes:

Trading the COMPQ

SPX thread hijack, sorry :)

Hot SOX causes Naz fake break?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 159
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 203
'If job cuts in the auto industry continue and we start to see consistently high job-cut numbers from the top three job cutters in July, it should set off some relatively loud alarm bells about the state of the job market and economy'

Have a look at employment to population ratio since 1990

http://data.bls.gov

If layoffs are increasing then this isn't a good sign considering that figure above is less than it was in 2002!

unlikely it looks joules re 1239.5. you got 12% capital on the short side- go for it my son! i think we are going nowhere fast because we are in 570-730 range on the INDU and we have payrolls + a fed announcement around the corner. Don't know where but in a week we will not be at these levels IMO. have sold options against my shorts so would like to see 1215 stay intact for another week or so.

Automatic trading

Got stopped out of my long at 1242.75 and entered a short at 1243. Let's hope for some real movement!!

Average for last 10 years May to July change in unemployment not seasonally adjusted is 765,000
So far this year from May it is 583,000

so will there be a big number tomorrow?

Joules MM1 said:
Friday 5th August 2005

US events:

US - Employment Situation (Jul, 2005) 8:30 AM Jul, 2005
US - Consumer Credit (Jun, 2005) 3:00 PM Jun, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cashin' out before jobs
Stocks slumped amid higher oil prices, pullback after rally, anticipation about Friday jobs report.
August 4, 2005: 6:18 PM EDT
By Alexandra Twin, CNN/Money Staff Writer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's that 'obviality" thing again......

Not convinced, yet. No opens.

Sucker set-ups abound in markets.

And if they were that scared would the Dow futures be up 20 now?

Bad news is good news and good news is bad news.........

Actually that is a pretty amazing figure for this time of year, means the FOMC will have the green light to keep putting up interest rates and markets don't like that!

Hi Joules
you can do the cleaver stuff, wave counts and all that,
what sort of target do you have for today? considering I am short at the moment
thanks in advance
H

There might be something in that symmetry Joules :)

Up to test 10590 then back down to 10500?

Longer term support at 10500, 10450 and 10300. (YM)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 154
Perfect 161.8% extension as well ... a320 must be loving it :)

I'd like to see that gap at 10700 filled next week.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 166
thanks for that Joules ,
and thanks for giving me a well thought out answer
Kind Regards
H

Americans have a pretty bad track record when it comes to saving money. Surprisingly, major corporations have been behaving exactly the opposite and squirreling away cash in record amounts.

As of late May 2005, the cash and cash equivalents held by nonfinancial companies of the S&P 500 equaled $630.4B, equal to 7.6% of the total market capitalization of the group. The amount of liquid assets held by these companies almost equals the total net income they generated in the twelve months ending March 2005 of $666.9B. Financial companies are excluded from the segment because of the reserve regulations requiring them to keep higher amounts of cash on their books.

So why are companies stockpiling cash when low interest rates mean their return won't be much more than what an average investor gets on a savings account? According to market researchers, many companies have simply become risk averse since the collapse of the stock market bubble.

Public corporations aren't the only folks in the market hoarding cash though, mutual fund managers are also holding cash at near record levels. A July survey by Merrill Lynch found that 19% of all fund managers believed they were overweight in cash with the mean cash balance for mutual funds at 4.1%.