Trading the Dow Jones

Sandpiper, Many thanks for your reply.
Interesting to see someone moving the other way. I get the impression from other posts that you would be in the minority,
damn, more things to think about! Seriously, the point about security of your funds is something I had not really thought of, surprising really considering I had to use the Investors compensation scheme many years ago when my broker went bust!
Finally, I believe that Spike use J-trader, do you know anything about it?
Cheers
hampy

hampy,

You can check any brokers using nfa.org. Spike seem fine on that front. But IB are part of Timber Hill which, as far as I know, is still the biggest fcm.

To be honest, the only reasons I can think of these days for using anybody other than IB are: if you are huge volume; you plan trading the pit traded contracts; you like discussing things with a broker before the open; you are not completely comfortable with trading platforms in general.

I did try J-Trader (wasn't called that then) when it first came out and it had lots of problems, but then most platforms did. The few comments I've seen on it since have been very positive. It used to be more intuitive than IB's TWS and still is afaik. It has a price feed included so you can trade with a single keystroke in a similar fashion to TWS. I think (all a bit blurred here) that you used to have to pay an E-Signal fee when using PatSystems. Don't know if that still applies or not.

Spike (RC) also supply you with X-Trader (which I think is the one you have to pay $500 a month for, although I could be wrong on that as well). Jeez, senility setting in here. Anyway, I think X-Trader gives you a globex II level II display amongst other things (no good for DOW futures though).

The other thing about IB of course (as well documented on here) is that you can use TWS to feed a number of other charting packages.

Have a look on the PatSystems website. I vaguely recall somebody offering a trial of J-Trader with a nearly live feed on a simulated account (J-Trader is not tied to Spike or RC btw). Can't remember which broker/fcm was doing it though.

Yeah, I get the distinct feeling I'm in the minority with regard to the sb decision ;). Still horsies for coursies.

Oh, btw, I've noticed lots of threads on here relating to IB's TWS that you would be well advised reading. They talk about management of stops, ie. whether they are held locally or on Globex, Project A, etc. Not light reading, but issues that I believe that it's better to be aware of. Also worth finding out whether TWS and PatSystems do it differently.

Good luck with it anyway.

Sandpiper, Thanks for your detailed reply.
i'm still a few months away from 'going direct', currently SB small stakes, whilst i see what instruments and timeframes work best for me. Just wanted to research the brokers now so when the time comes I'm ready to go.
hampy