Trading post mortem - 2018

NVP

Guest Author
hey gang ...in this interim time of year between xmas and new year heres a more challenging set of questions for you traders out there regarding 2018

it also works for just life in general .........

1. What worked last year?
2. What didn't work last year?
3. What did I learn last year?
4. What will I do differently?
5. What do I most desire for the year ahead?

so please contribute .........it may help your 2019 results !

N

Last edited:
me first i guess ...........

1. What worked last year?
my "workhorse" core strategy for trading London open Forex sessions........i tried and tried to improve and simplify it but the raw beast was solid as a rock most days .......so no complaints

I mentored and also worked with a lot of traders in 2018 and it really helped me in my own core strategies and approach to trading ....it makes you realise how many ways there are to make money trading ......and there is no right way ....just your own way that you must personalise and perfect over time .....

i did do a lot of work on Dax Day Trading strategies with a small team during 2018 .......but frankly all the tests were nowhere near my core forex performance .....I really want to diversify more into other markets in 2019 .....but im too much in a comfort zone at moment in forex .....

that to make true change you have got to be brave and ruthless with your approach......I was not as brave and tough as i needed to be to escape my "comfy" forex trading systems that will eventually decay over time ....i must work harder on diversifying and adapting my systems to ensure future profitability...........

I am far to deep in trading "comfort zones" and i have to change that in 2019

as already stated - I need to be much braver and free thinking in the areas i am testing and also i need to expand my net to reviewing more trading markets / opportunities - many that i discarded last year ........I do have heavy prejudices towards certain markets and i need to change and be more open to them .........

also i have a lot of systems and strategies in the attic .....hundreds of them designed and tested over the last 10-15 years...so they are all coming out again for a revisit.........sometimes the thing you are looking for is already under your nose and just needs a little more TLC and tweaking .............

as already mentioned ......I want to mentor and work with even more traders in 2019 .......it really helps ......I always learn a lot from working with other people .......

for all markets to stay the way they are and have always been.........I will be the one changing and adapting to them !

for new traders to realise that learning to trade is a marathon and not a sprint ........and to ignore 99% of the rubbish out there online and on social media telling them its easy ......if they do whatever course the vendor is selling.....or buy that magic black box....

Last edited:
i1. What worked last year?
The 3+ bar retracement strategy was ok although increased volatility adversely affected trade management with too early exits often triggered and stop loss levels carrying uncomfortable risks.

with the pairs trading the Dow/Ftse relationship broke down and I tried Dow/Nasdaq with mixed results. The extreme difference before reversion often reached very high levels and therefore extremely uncomfortable drawdowns if in too early. It got too much for me in the end with my peanut sized balls.

not to trade outside of my comfort zone - the pressure got to me again.

not a lot. Will try a few new things in the play accounts - mainly about catching momentum bursts

to see the dow/ftse relationship reassert itself. Typical that that relationship started breaking down last year just after i’d lifted the ante to main account status!!

Last edited: