Psychology Getting Started Money Management Trading Plan Template

In order to succeed as a professional trader, it is often said that the aspirant must treat trading "like a business". As with many of the clichéd phrases that litter the metaphorical trading floor, the importance of this statement is often overlooked, or the meaning misunderstood.

The following article by Tim Wilcox aims to address these problems by examining some of the ways in which a trader might go about achieving this vital goal.

It is divided into two sections: a general overview of what constitutes a trading plan and why it is prudent to have one, followed by a detailed analysis of the various aspects that should be considered during its creation, for example, the importance of self-awareness, discipline and risk management. Though the article is aimed principally at novices, traders of all standards are likely to find something useful within its pages.

Since the "Trading Plan Template" is considerably longer than our other articles, we have provided it as a pdf document, both for convenience and to preserve the original layout. Please click the link below to download it.

Trading_Plan_Template

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim. This is quite a feat. One of the problems I have had is that many talk about trading plan, but will never share theirs, so I've never been able to know what one looked like. I have downloaded yours and others mentioned here on the site and will use this to create mine. Again thank you.

Hi Tim,

I love this template, thanks for your hard work.
Could I write a blog post based on this template in my own words and language?
I'll put the link to this thread on top of the post.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi Tim,

I love this template, thanks for your hard work.
Could I write a blog post based on this template in my own words and language?
I'll put the link to this thread on top of the post.

Thanks,
Jesse
Hi Jesse,
Thanks for the kind words.

In answer to your question - yes, by all means - please go ahead. I appreciate your courtesy in asking - most people wouldn't bother in this day and age!

Best wishes,
Tim.

Hi Jesse,
Thanks for the kind words.

In answer to your question - yes, by all means - please go ahead. I appreciate your courtesy in asking - most people wouldn't bother in this day and age!

Best wishes,
Tim.
Hi Tim,

Are you still trading? If yes how are doing?! Just found your plan and It seems Trader Dante has really I would say same template as you!

Best wishes,
Goldberg

Hi Tim,

Are you still trading? If yes how are doing?! Just found your plan and It seems Trader Dante has really I would say same template as you!

Best wishes,
Goldberg
Hi Goldberg,
Welcome to the forum!

No, I'm not actively trading at the moment, although I watch the markets daily, with a particular interest in precious metals, especially silver. If I were to return to active trading tomorrow, this is the market I'd focus on, as there's plenty of volatility and it's highly correlated to equity indices and the USD$ - providing useful context.

The Trading Plan Template has been used and abused by many since I wrote it. I think Tom (TaderDante) was one of those who had the courtesy to ask me if he could use it. Anyway, I'm fine with it people copying it - I hope it still has something of value for new traders.
Tim.