Trading Options

A superb post, Roger.
As one would expect, of course ;-)
To anyone reading this, RogerM is, IMHO, one of the best two options players I have ever come across.
Richard

Thanks Richard. In that case you can't know many option traders! :)

The question has been asked as to whether it is better to pay for a long put which has cost 100 (£1000) by selling a single call at 4225 for 100, or to sell 2 x 4375 calls for 51 (£510). Whilst I have explained my thinking above, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Below is one end of the pay-off diagram (the risky end!). Based on Fridays prices, you could sell 4225 calls for 100, and 4325 calls for 51. As you can see from the diagram, by selling a single 4225 call (heavy red line), at expiry, you break even at all levels below 4225, and start to go into profit below 3725 (not shown) as the put acquires value.

If instead you sell 2 x 4375's (heavy blue line), at expiry you break even at all levels below 4375, and still go into profit below 3725. You are better off by selling 2 calls at all levels below the point at which the 2 lines cross, which in this case is at 4525. Above 4525 you will lose more heavily by selling 2 calls. The decision as to which is best depends upon your own view of where the index is likely to go, and of course there is a greater margin requirement to sell 2 calls than just one.

The thin red and blue lines show the position of each strategy as at Friday, and these will tend to steadily merge with the expiry lines over time. This means that if the position moves against the holder in the short term (i.e. the index rises), but not above the strike prices of the calls, then there will be no loss provided that you can afford to wait until expiry, or wait for the index to fall again. This is not so viable if you hold a future direct. Likewise, if the index falls in value, then there is an immediate profit, but one that will fall as time passes for any given level of the index. If the index is above the strike price of the long put - 3750 - then the profit will disappear completely by expiry. The best result is for there to be a quick movement in the right direction, downwards in this case, and then close both sides of the position. Don't concentrate too much on the expiry position - think about how, and where, profits can be taken or losses cut before expiry.

Incidentally, to demonstrate the effect of low Implied Volatility (IV), the 4225 calls can be sold for 100 at the moment, and for which the IV is 13.4%. If the IV was 25%, the price would be close to 200. So if IV increases above the current very low levels back to nearer the norm of 25%, then the cost of buying back the calls at current levels of the FTSE this far from expiry would be approximately double the current level. Likewise, a holder of long calls could see the value of his holding double with little or no movement in the underlying index purely based on an increase in IV.

This is why I say that options are as much a play on volatility as on direction!

Attachments

• sept synthetic.gif
    sept synthetic.gif
    24.1 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
This week has presented a familiar dilemma for the option writer. I sold a November 4525/3875 FTSE 100 strangle for 30 on 10th October. You wot? OK - this means that I sold November 4525 calls for 19 and November 3875 puts for 11, bringing in a total of 30, or £300 per strangle. Provided that the ftse 100 is between 3875 and 4525 at expiry on 21st November, then these options expire worthless and I keep all the premium collected.

The ftse has traded in a very narrow range in the 3 weeks since I placed the trade, and has hovered around the centre of the range. The position is shown on the pay-off diagram below. The thick blue line shows the position at expiry, and the thin mauve line the position today. The little red square shows the level of the ftse 100 today (around 4330).

So what's the dilemma? The value of the options sold has fallen significantly since they were sold, partly due to erosion of time value, and partly due to a fall in Implied Volatility (IV) from what were already low levels. At todays prices, you could buy the 3875 puts for 2.5 and the 4525 calls for 4.5 i.e. 7 in total. The premium taken in at the outset was 30. I can buy back the position to close for 7, so over 75% of the potential profit available at expiry is on the table after half the time. To get the remaining 25% I need to keep the position open for a further 3 weeks. Any rise in the ftse from current levels means that the short term profit reduces increasingly quickly, although comes back by expiry provided the ftse does not exceed 4525. Normally I would leave a strangle on until expiry, but it doesn't seem like a good trade-off to continue to underwrite the risk for only 25% of the remaining potential profit. We have an interest rate announcement on Thursday which could spike the market in either direction, increasing IV (and therefore the buy back price at any particular level of the ftse), and the market is overdue a correction. In addition I need to close by 14th Nov because I'm off to New Zealand for 3 weeks and don't want to leave naked positions on the table without being near a screen to hedge the position if needed.

As a rule,

1. If the percentage potential profit available is more than twice the time elapsed, I seriously consider closing. i.e. 50% of the potential profit after 25% of the time available? Consider closing. 50% of potential profit after 50% of the time? Stay with it.

2. If the potential profit remaining is less than half the percentage time remaining, consider closing. e.g. in this case, there is 25% of the potential profit remaining to be achieved in 50% of the time.

Which way is IV likely to go? Surely only up from here - but I've been saying that for the last 6 months. Could come with the interest rate announcement this week. Add to that my need to be out (or covered) by 14th Nov and it becomes clear - at least to this risk adverse trader. Close out - take the money on the table - and move on.

Attachments

• nov03strangle.gif
    nov03strangle.gif
    115.4 KB · Views: 584
Close out - take the money on the table - and move on

Looks fav to me ;)

I sometimes read the options threads on Elitetrader, there is a poster on there called Maverick74 who appears to me (I dont know much about options) to really know his stuff.

He recently made the following post and I was hoping if some of you guys (RogerM for example) plus anyone else has had any experience of this strategy.

Here is the post

"Chris,

Yeah, I guess I didn't explain to you exactly how I trade short calendars. The way I trade short calendars is pretty simple. They are generally really short trades. Most of them I put on for one day.

Let me give an example. Let's the vol on IBM has been running up going into earnings from 30 to 45 in like 2 weeks which is a pretty big move for IBM. I would put the short calendar on the day before they reported. I would take it off either at the open the next day or at the close the next day.

What I am looking for here are two things. One, I am looking for a gap move in IBM on the numbers which happens about 80% of the time. This is good for me since I am long the front month and have a lot of gamma here. Two, I am looking for a Vol implosion on the back month. Say from 45 to 35 where I am short vega back there. So in a perfect situation, IBM would come out with numbers, good or bad, gap down 5 pts the next day and the vol would come in 10 ticks.

Since I am putting this spread on for a credit here, the purpose is to earn the credit and possibly expand it. When done right, this trade can be a huge moneymaker with very very little risk. I mean the risk to reward on this trade is sick. Because I am only holding for it for day the return on equity is just monstrous. The big risk you have on short calendars is with your negative vega on the back month. But since I am only holding this for a day, that's a non factor. Also the odds of me getting that gap move are huge which is perfect for my long gamma.

The worst case scenario for me is that numbers come out, the stock opens flat and the vol doesn't react although that would be very odd if the vol had a huge runnup and didn't come in after a flat open. Really though, I can't talk enough about the risk to reward on this trade. It's really what options trading is all about. The scary thing is you could put on 500 of these a year and maybe lose money on 10 of them. Of course a lot of these will be break evens which is not a big deal. But it's really hard to get hurt on these trades. And I mean really hard, although I guess as a disclaimer I should say that I bet somebody on these boards could find a way to get hurt. LOL."

understanding the effect of volatility on options pricing is key - and any methodology that takes advantage of volatility in options is gonna come up with the bucks