Trading NASDAQ stocks with Jerry Olson & Ian Hodgson

LEVII

Actually I think you are a LEVEL IIII as you have been a gentleman since i have known you .

Trader333 ( paul )

The reason I dont use L2 any more is because it is a PENNY PINCHING game. I have used it for years but now I can get away without it by using risk management techniques to reduce risk of a bad entry . ( This methodology I learnt in the bank )

I am gonna post every day all my trades directly from IB screen for the next few days and then I will stop and just discuss technical analysis in general.

These are the subject of my future discussion

1) How to know trend has exhausted
2) How to reduce risk
3) Dynamic stop loss
4) VWAP Engine
5) How to pick up oscillatory stocks in real time
6) is there such a thing as TREND or market continuously oscillates ?
7) money management during the trade .
8) Money management before the trade
9 ) Hedging techniques .. Statistical arbitrage
10 ) Capital management

Grey1

Trader333 said:
Iraj,

I see on your screens that you have position size for all stocks that you are monitoring but that only some of them have positions ie "Short" next to them. Is this because you have automated the position sizing requirement based on the stock value and size of your account or is it something else ?

Paul

Paul ,

yes

,, Stock value, account size, volatility , MSVL ( maximum statistical distribution on VWap bands )[/I

Most program traders dump or buy as the volatility fluctuates.. so next time you saw a low pos size going through T&S it could be a bank adding when volatility is high and dump the whole position when consolidations occurs... Does that make sence?

Grey1

Iraj,

Yes it does make sense. Your contribution is excellent as always and I look forward to your future posts.

Paul

Grey1 said:
These are the subject of my future discussion

1) How to know trend has exhausted
2) How to reduce risk
3) Dynamic stop loss
4) VWAP Engine
5) How to pick up oscillatory stocks in real time
6) is there such a thing as TREND or market continuously oscillates ?
7) money management during the trade .
8) Money management before the trade
9 ) Hedging techniques .. Statistical arbitrage
10 ) Capital management

Grey1

Excellent news. Looking forward to be enligtened.

Grey1,

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you still enjoy the challenge of the markets given what looks like a high degree of automation, fixed routine and, well, enviably predictable success in your method? This may sound like an odd question since the latter is surely precisely what every trader seeks. But do you, well, ever get bored of the routine? What really keeps you coming back to the market day after day, beyond of course the necessity to earn a living? Perhaps that's just it, it's a very good reason after all. :) Obviously you have put a lot of work into defining and refining your methods, which should in itself be a sizeable source of intellectual satisfaction - and I imagine you try to improve them regularly - but despite that do you ever yearn to just turn off the engine, radar & alerts and simply try and treat each day as a unique challenge, flying solo to solve the fluid puzzles of PVT, especially the intent and misdirection, with pure discretion? I speak as one torn between the two types of approach and finding much to commend both and would be glad to hear your view.

On one hand I have a passion to delve ever deeper into the motives, actions and effects of groups of market participants (as imprinted in the price action) and treat every day as different, while on the other I have a reasonable "static" method which can be applied day after day with adequate if unremarkable results. If I follow that then I don't have to study price action as closely - the puzzle is somehow put on the back burner - yet if I do that then my interest is apt to wane and my profitability remains static. It's a bit like finishing a novel and then wondering what to do while it is selling well. I guess we write a better one and then sell more copies than the predecessor (improve method further) :)

I'd be interested in your views on this dilemma. Forgive me if I have asked too personal a question here or seemed in any way disrespectful - if so plz ignore me. I guess I'm just being spoilt. I just wonder where one goes when the method works day-in, day-out and there is, in some sense, little more to do than follow it, obey its commands. I suspect your answer may be "adapt it periodically to changing conditions"? :)

Very much looking forward to more of your quality posts, either way. It's great to have you back.

Last edited:
frugi said:
Grey1,

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you still enjoy the challenge of the markets given what looks like a high degree of automation and success in your method? What keeps you coming back day after day beyond of course the necessity to earn a living? Obviously you have put a lot of work into defining and refining your methods, which should in itself be a sizeable source of intellectual satisfaction, but do you ever want to turn off the engine, radar & alerts and simply try and treat each day - flying solo - as a unique challenge, to solve the puzzles of misdirection with discretion borne of experience? I speak as one torn between the two types of approach and finding much to commend both and would be glad to hear your view. Fogive me if I have asked too personal a question here - if so plz ignore me.

Very much looking forward to more of your posts, either way.

FRUGI,

Good question .. I have no idea how one can be profitable with out high degree of automation as we are all human and we have the same two hands /legs and our behaviour is nearly all the same. We all cut the winners and let the losses to run and unless this is not taken over with an automated methodology the final result will be a total LOSS of Entire CAPITAL ..

Trading is not tickling competition .. it is serious competition amongst highly automated institutional traders with tons of software at their disposal. Therefore today's traders should learn not to rely upon their eyes only in chart analysis and let software to replace them specially when it comes to risk management. Adding or dumping positions objectively and correctly should be with out the doubt a very important aspect of any trader's strategy and unless it is automated it becomes impossible to achieve intra day .

This is 21st century and it is time for traders to get that strategy coded and trade like a PRO ...

Trading is simple.. trust me.. it the human emotion which ruins every thing

Grey1 said:
FRUGI,

Good question .. I have no idea how one can be profitable with out high degree of automation as we are all human and we have the same two hands /legs and our behaviour is nearly all the same. We all cut the winners and let the losses to run and unless this is not taken over with an automated methodology the final result will be a total LOSS of Entire CAPITAL ..

Thanks for your interesting reply Grey. I think perhaps this view is a touch pessimistic though. Sure, we've probably all at some point (especially at the start of our careers) done these dirty deeds, but after a while one trains the mind to not fall foul of emotions and their predictable, destructive effects. Indeed one learns to capitalise on those of others. To automate is, to me and with regard to myself only of course, almost a tacit admission of weakness: "I will never be able to switch emotions off therefore I will delegate my decisions to something that totally lacks them". The trouble is the delegate can only accept simple..ish instructions and is unable to adapt in a complex manner to new conditions and then act appropriately. This of course may change if neural nets etc. up their game. The other trouble is that doing this leaves rather little for the human to do or think about, at least until he deigns to change the instructions, and I find that a little disheartening.

Trading is not tickling competition ..

Quote of the year, I love it. A brutal truth delivered with muchos humour. :D

it is serious competition amongst highly automated institutional traders with tons of software at their disposal.

Serious it certainly is. But does this software make them better traders? It allows them to quickly exploit certain statistical opportunities given their capital base, connection speed, knowledge of order flow etc., but imho many opportunites for the logical thinker are still left, in spite of them, perhaps even because of them.

And is the main thrust of the competition truly amongst them when there is a supply of naive fresh meat entering the market in a contunuous stream from which they can feed more easily? I don't know the percentages of different market groups but I thought the pros mainly take money off the idiots while the crowd breakeven, make a little, or lose a little. The crowd would no doubt include some institutional traders as they are not all making 100s of % return pa.

Adding or dumping positions objectively and correctly should be with out the doubt a very important aspect of any trader's strategy

Agreed.

and unless it is automated it becomes impossible to achieve intra day .

For some strategies such as lightning fast arbs, undoubtedly. But there is still room for the non-automated trader to exercise patience and discipline and be able to take, say, half the daily range, by entering and dumping manually, without necessarily falling foul of the evil emotion demon. A fast front end with the "widen stop" button disabled helps, mind. :)

Trading is simple.. trust me.. it the human emotion which ruins every thing

In my experience, it certainly has a nasty history of doing that. :eek: But it can imho be conquered, or at least confined to one's non-trading persona, and then the rational + subconscious are free to act in harmony, as decisively as a machine, but with a far wider range of outputs and dramatically improved contextual processing power.

I do not mean to sound aggressive here at all, though I probably do. I'm just curious and fascinated by the wildly differing M.Os. of all successful traders. Your insitutional perspective is extremely valuable and rather worrying. Program trading rises monthly; black boxes and algorithms become ever more complicated as processing power rises exponentially; the machines really do seem to be taking over and this must be acknowledged and accounted for, especially given the capital behind them. But I still don't believe they're necessarily going to crush an uncompromised autonomous Mark Three human brain.

In fact we should be able to track the ones with sufficiently large footprints, run round them (or join them), avoid their big feet and occasionally jab them or their victims with little forks at appropriate moments too, if we have the skill. I don't, but I'm working on it. :)

Still, I advance no original arguments here and I shouldn't disrupt the thread any longer with idealistic rambling.

Another day another $ . An awesome and rare signal from the vwap Engine resulting in $1010 profit ..

The day still fresh and see what i can do by the end of the close.

Attachments

• sndk.jpg
    sndk.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 331
  • sndk1.jpg
    sndk1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 317
Grey1 said:
Another day another $ . An awesome and rare signal from the vwap Engine resulting in $1010 profit ..

The day still fresh and see what i can do by the end of the close.

Great start Grey1, I have been reading some of the past threads on VWAP.

one of the techniques that a trader who lives off of market is advised to do is what is called Time frame diversification . It means to trade in many different time frames such as Weekly , monthly and daily as well as intra day . You do this by correct position sizing during that particular time frame . This kind of trading is very common amongst Fundamentalists with a knowledge of technical analysis because they can buy or short sell the stocks in longer time frame getting much better price then just executing the trades on intra day VWAP .

I am going to play the RIMM for next few days with only 1 ATR stop /

This is how I am going to play it .

I will take a long Position on RIMM as soon as I have a pull back either today or tomorrow. If RIMM opened in Postiive today then I will go long near lower VWAP band ( intra day )... and if opened in negative then wait till 2morrow

My strategy is clearly defined.. I WILL ALSO POST THE POSSIBLE PROFIT FROM THE TRADE DIRECTLY FROM IB SCREEN SO THERE WONT BE ANY DOUBTS .. I INVITE TRADERS TO WATCH THE TRADE WITH MYSELF DURING NEXT 10 DAYS ..

This is the chart.

Attachments

• rimm1.jpg
    rimm1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Grey1 has also taken a counter tend long on GOOG just before close that he will post his P/L right after the market is opened on the strength of a VWAP signal yesterday . I be selling into strength on the first 2-3 bars if trade goes on my side and if does not I will post the LOSS TOO .

Grey1 prefers to Trade than coach. Grey1 is not into Pay per view coaching . Grey1 1 gets annoyed when Trader WANNA BEES charge people.

grey1

Grey1 said:
Grey1 has also taken a counter tend long on GOOG just before close that he will post his P/L right after the market is opened on the strength of a VWAP signal yesterday . I be selling into strength on the first 2-3 bars if trade goes on my side and if does not I will post the LOSS TOO .

Grey1 prefers to Trade than coach. Grey1 is not into Pay per view coaching . Grey1 1 gets annoyed when Trader WANNA BEES charge people.

grey1

PS:-- If time and g/f allow I will contribute some thing on MOMENTUM EXHAUSTION ( EXIT ) after the hours.. You can apply it and enjoy the high degree of predictivity of it .

Grey1 said:

grey1
Grey1, of course, can and does trade!

Whether he likes it or not he is also a very good coach.

Excellent stuff Grey1, I look forward to the momentum information later.
Cheers
Q

Before I start can I ask the readers to study the concept of VWAP bands that I have explained in details previously..

Most traders like myself would like to know when a particular trend is exhausted .. This means

1) If I am late positioning myself then whether it worth it to take the trade or not ..
2) If I am early and positioned myself at the right price then how long should I let my profit run

In scenario 1 ) we are talking about if the reward justifies the risk ( are we too late or not )
In scenario 2 ) We are simply being greedy and want to let our profit run as far as we can . ( nothing wrong with that )

In both above cases we are looking for tell tale signs of what is know in TA as EXHAUSTION ..

First of all you have to know that Exhaustion is not a single POINT @ which price reverses.. Every time frame has different EXHAUSTION point .. There for if you looking @ 1 min chart Exhaustion point might be totally different to 10 min .. There for if some one told you I sold my stock when there was no more power he means he sold it in the time frame that he was trading .

Secondly Exhaustion points are different to HIGH or LOW of the day ..

Technical analysis has two different tool to offer to our traders. They are oscillators ( CCI , RSI , .. or are Trend following indicators.. ( ADX, MACD,…)

We use oscillator to measure Exhaustion because they don’t lag.. They are predictive ,, Trend following indicators are not .

SO to measure the exhaustion technically all you need is an oscillators which should be smoothed to cater for the noise and you apply that in three different time frame plus the VWAP band to tell you how far is the current price is from the UPPER or LOWER VWAP .

In another word if you are using smoothed CCI and your are long then you look for CCI to get to OVER BOUGHT situation in three different time frames . ( of course the choice of oscillator is yours ) at the same time you have to make sure you are near the VWAP bands.. When this satisfies then trend has been exhausted.

The above system for exhaustion is a must for all traders to know and easy to code.

Now you might ask me what time frames.. Well the correct choice of time frame is not a TEHNICAL issue it is a MONEY MANGMENT issue which I will be discussing in future. ( look at my previous set up on this link to see how a trader must position size himself to minimise risk ) .

Please look at the Chart below on YHOO and notice the readings of MACCI on the YHOO and the imminent reversal .. ( This is a 1 min chart reversal if you are scalping if you are not then higher time frames can result in $$$ than cents and as I said I will discuss the concept of position sizing and various time frames later on )

Pssstttt :-- some one told me stop bragging about the winning and tell us how you do it .. Ok guys here it is ... JUST DO IT

Attachments

• yhoo1.jpg
    yhoo1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 467
  • yhoo final.jpg
    yhoo final.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 328
I thought you were showing us your trading account for as moment mate. Disappointed to see just MACCI data... :LOL:

Seriously though Iraj, do you prefer numeric displays for your indicators to lineage on screen?

I know they need to be represented somewhere numerically for automated system use, but I wondered why you don't also overlay the inds on your screen.

Rofl bramble my man .. You answered your own question .. Numbers can be coded ... it make it much more objective . On top of that you cannot keep chasing what stock is in OB or OS situation all the time .. Code the number and get a signal.

Grey1

Grey1

I am in the process of reading the excellent past threads on VWap.
Using this strategy do you take much notice of breaking news stories, earnings releases or what the major indices are doing, which is something the momentum/volatility guys rely on?