Trading Marks and Spencer options

belinea03

Since Phil Green launched his take-over bid for M&S I've been trying to get into the action using options. I've had no joy!!! Looking on the LIFFE site as well as ADVFN I can't get info relating to the greeks, IV or charts showing historical levels. Can someone point me in the right direction???

Eventually placed the Sept04 360/390 Bear Call Sprd for 7.5p credit. With the stock plummeting after Phil withdrew his bid the spread should be looking good.

The right direction?

If you're into options - sell them - don't buy them.

Forget M&S - the world and his wife...

Bramble,

I was always bearish on Phil's prospects and used the opportunity to set up a bearish spread when the stock was near its peak and IV was high. If I hold til Sept04 expiration I'll make 33.3% on my risk capital. As IV collapses I may unwind the position sooner.

Separately, I wouldn't invest in M & S for love nor money, however, I would trade the stock or option. I buy or sell options depending on the strategy I choose to play. Sometimes it's good to be a seller other times it's better to be a buyer. What concerns me most is the lack of liquidity in the chain.

TheBramble said:
The right direction?

If you're into options - sell them - don't buy them.

Forget M&S - the world and his wife...

Why always sell them???? amazing

belinea03 said:
RR, IMMSM????
RR=RobertRal
IMMSM=If My Memory Serves Me

Robert always queries my 'take' on options in that I maintain you have a 1:7 chance of making money buying the blighters.

Given that as traders we would appreciate being on the 'right' side of the probability curve, I'd always favour selling them.

Just a personal opinion.

Last edited:
I see. Sorry, but I don't share your views on options for all the reasons you would have heard before.

belinea03 said:
Robertral,

Do you think we need to educate Bramble on the finer points of options trading :cool:

Nar, leave him to his own devices.......he's a good lad.......but needs a bit of education with regards to return distributions :D

belinea03 said:
Robertral,

Do you think we need to educate Bramble on the finer points of options trading :cool:
Absolutely! I'll take all the help I can get!

Robertral said:
Nar, leave him to his own devices.......he's a good lad.......but needs a bit of education with regards to return distributions
Wrong!!! I need A LOT of education.

Spent 4 years trading options almost always on the buy side and never could work out, even when I got it right, why I wasn't making as much as I should. Read everything I could get my hands on. Took the courses. The lot. Guess I'm just not built for options.

The Sept04 390/360 M&S Bear Call (Credit) spead is doing nicely. Earned 22.5% on Friday's close. Sad thing is that was already 13.3% on day Phil withdrew his offer (23/9) and I had to wait almost 5 weeks to get the remaining 20%. Cest la vie.