trading futures and US stocks

scholfield

Established member
I'm thinking about trying my hand at trading futures and also maybe some US stocks.
Coming from a spreadbet background, i'm finding it all very confusing, with platorm fees, market data fees, etc.

It would seem that interactive brokers would be the best, as you can trade everything from one account. Also their platform is free?
I also hear that their market data is free, as long as you generate a certain amount of commisions?
So what would happen if I only traded 6B currency futures contract and no stocks in a month, but generated the required commision amount. Would I still be charged the data feed fee every other exchange that I had data for

And the platform itself? I hear it's aweful and i'd need a 'front end'? Is that correct?

And If I wanted to just trade CL, 6B and Nasdaq stocks, i'd need to subscribe to CME, Nasdaq, and NYSE???

I'm a little lost!

If you want accurate answers to your questions you ought to ring up IB and ask them.
In my experience of trading US stocks with them for many years they have proved to be excellent.

I've been trading Futures with OpenEcry using OEC Trader for around 8 years. I highly recommend them (y)

Here is a link to compare:

Compare Futures Trading Platforms, Compare Futures Brokers, Futures Trading Platform Comparison

DO they offer equities?
The trade2win review page says: ''Open E Cry is a direct access brokerage firm, offering customers a free professional trading platform called OEC Trader to trade futures, options, FX, and equities'', yet I can't seem to find a mention of equities on their home page?

But no platform fee and free data for futures trading? That's rather appealing.
Can you trade directly from the chart? (like ninjatrader - right click above the current price and plave a limit order etc?)

DO they offer equities?
The trade2win review page says: ''Open E Cry is a direct access brokerage firm, offering customers a free professional trading platform called OEC Trader to trade futures, options, FX, and equities'', yet I can't seem to find a mention of equities on their home page?

But no platform fee and free data for futures trading? That's rather appealing.
Can you trade directly from the chart? (like ninjatrader - right click above the current price and plave a limit order etc?)

They did offer equities but only to US citizens. That was when they were owned by OptionsXpress. They have since been taken over by Gain Capital Group.

You can trade directly from the chart. Take a look at their website, it is comprehensive. There are tutorial video's and the OEC trader user guide.

I'm thinking about trying my hand at trading futures and also maybe some US stocks.
Coming from a spreadbet background, i'm finding it all very confusing, with platorm fees, market data fees, etc.

It would seem that interactive brokers would be the best, as you can trade everything from one account. Also their platform is free?
I also hear that their market data is free, as long as you generate a certain amount of commisions?
So what would happen if I only traded 6B currency futures contract and no stocks in a month, but generated the required commision amount. Would I still be charged the data feed fee every other exchange that I had data for

And the platform itself? I hear it's aweful and i'd need a 'front end'? Is that correct?

And If I wanted to just trade CL, 6B and Nasdaq stocks, i'd need to subscribe to CME, Nasdaq, and NYSE???

I'm a little lost!

I think all platform are free to use, but you get charged a commission per trade. I do not get charged for using the platform and for price feeds etc as those costs are covered in the commission you pay. I think it is best if you call the broker you wish to trade with and address those question with their support in order to get the right answer since this is a broker specific question.

I'm a little lost!

IB has the advantage of trading various markets from one account. It is a reliable broker, but there are some concerns about their customer service. Maybe this link can help
Ratings for Interactive Brokers