Strong Trending Futures

superdoug3

I am in for a learning curve.
I backtested (Forex Tester Optimizer) 16 futures over 7 years of data and found only a few Symbols that trend strongly.
Currencies 6B, 6E, 6J, 6S
minis - NQ and TF
I tried the grains and too ranging.
any suggestions on others to try ? I have lots to learn.
Seems like most Futures traders are scalpers ?

Personally I trade ONLY ES, 6A, 6B, 6E and GC. Mostly because they trend well. Also because 6A is really a bet on commodities. And because GC and ES went in opposite directions at 9/11. If you look at very long term charts of ES and GC you'll see they never go down for long. That's because they are both a protection against politicians debasing the dollar. I don't scalp because I don't want to sit at a screen all day. I usually hold a position for several days, sometimes a week or two. My guide is Bollinger (10, 1.9) and I've written about that elsewhere on this Forum.

thank you
I see 6A fell 553 pts over 5 days. In a case like this, would your Sell Order (Stop Loss) likely be not executed, for a big loss to you and others? I ask, because someone else suggested placing an out of the money Put Option as insurance against such disasters. Being a newbie, I will probably have to learn the hard way. My broker seemed to thing that if I had 2 or 3 contracts, no problem, but 10 contracts would have been hard to execute. Seems, like in that situation, you would cancel the 10 contract order and issue 5 - 2 contract orders.

I am in for a learning curve.
I backtested (Forex Tester Optimizer) 16 futures over 7 years of data and found only a few Symbols that trend strongly.
Currencies 6B, 6E, 6J, 6S
minis - NQ and TF
I tried the grains and too ranging.
any suggestions on others to try ? I have lots to learn.
Seems like most Futures traders are scalpers ?
[/I]

Hi I am new to trading alot of you guys use just the symbols for the various markets
you trade,where do I find out which symbols relate to which market.

Thanks guys

thank you
I see 6A fell 553 pts over 5 days. In a case like this, would your Sell Order (Stop Loss) likely be not executed, for a big loss to you and others? I ask, because someone else suggested placing an out of the money Put Option as insurance against such disasters. Being a newbie, I will probably have to learn the hard way. My broker seemed to thing that if I had 2 or 3 contracts, no problem, but 10 contracts would have been hard to execute. Seems, like in that situation, you would cancel the 10 contract order and issue 5 - 2 contract orders.

Why would you trade 10 contracts of any Mini Currency future and not just trade half that size in the large Future contract? Currency futures are all very liquid and stops are triggered within a few pips of your placement with the exception of the mini currency futures. They are not liquid enough in my opinion to trade large orders.

Trade JY, EC, BP, AD, SF, CD....not the mini 6E's etc.