Trading Experience Required

Goldmember21

37 0
Hi Guys,

Couldn't find a thread to answer what I'm looking for, hope someone can give me some pointers...

I'm about to go into my last year of University studying Economics, have just completed two short-term summer internships, 1 at a bank on their prop trading floor in forex, and 1 on the London Metal Exchange as a clerk.

Looking at jobs in trading for when I leave Uni and get on with my career, pretty much all trading jobs require at least 2 years market experience. I wondered what actually counts as market experience, and how would you get this if you need experience... to get experience. (Sounds like a catch 22 to me?)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Goldmember21

37 0
probably refers to live trading experience, or experience working at a trading firm

Thanks,

When they ask for '2 years market experience/exposure' or something along those lines, would you say being a traders assistant counts, or any job requiring close attention to the markets?

scose-no-doubt

Veteren member
4,630 954
Prolly two years on the job in some trading-related capacity e.g. desk assistant/junior etc Maybe risk too but I dunno.

Goldmember21

37 0
I reckon your right, cheers guys.

BeginnerJoe

3,329 350
Or maybe these guys are not right. Perhaps the 'market experience' they are looking for is your experience to 'market' yourself. The experience would be gained every time you try. When you give up on a battle before you even start it, that's no way to win. To win it, you have to be in it. See if you can get the essence of this very simple principle that works in many areas of life as well as in trading.

Goldmember21

37 0
Or maybe these guys are not right. Perhaps the 'market experience' they are looking for is your experience to 'market' yourself. The experience would be gained every time you try. When you give up on a battle before you even start it, that's no way to win. To win it, you have to be in it. See if you can get the essence of this very simple principle that works in many areas of life as well as in trading.

Yeah... I don't think thats what they're talking about. But thanks.

ChristianG

3 0
Very well said BeginnerJoe. Oftentimes when we're beginning carrier in whatever field, we're too afraid to determine our own reality. Goldmember21 - you have "two years market experience" now you just have to identify what that means to YOU and how you're going to sell that identification to whoever you want to work for.

FringFX

244 6
your summer internships at a bank and LME might help serve as your springboard to your future job. hit them back and see if they can accommodate you; they might have some openings for on the job trainees now and in the future, or they know of partner firms/branches who do. perhaps you can contact them often to get updates.

do not be afraid to ask around for referrals.... networking skills will help. Good luck, Goldmember

Goldmember21

37 0
your summer internships at a bank and LME might help serve as your springboard to your future job. hit them back and see if they can accommodate you; they might have some openings for on the job trainees now and in the future, or they know of partner firms/branches who do. perhaps you can contact them often to get updates.

do not be afraid to ask around for referrals.... networking skills will help. Good luck, Goldmember

Thanks, think these are my strongest paths, will keep at it until its mine! ha

bigmistake

264 1
I think the 2 years market experience they need from you are the time you worked in a trading/finance company.

chinabean

109 9
Hi Guys,

Couldn't find a thread to answer what I'm looking for, hope someone can give me some pointers...

I'm about to go into my last year of University studying Economics, have just completed two short-term summer internships, 1 at a bank on their prop trading floor in forex, and 1 on the London Metal Exchange as a clerk.

Looking at jobs in trading for when I leave Uni and get on with my career, pretty much all trading jobs require at least 2 years market experience. I wondered what actually counts as market experience, and how would you get this if you need experience... to get experience. (Sounds like a catch 22 to me?)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Wait and see what the grad recruitment round will bring, are you at a redbrick uni? If so, you get a 2:1 or 1st and you have what sounds like decent internships on your resume, you should be able to secure a place on one of the grad schemes at a bank. Also, the more reputable prop-firms do run some form of grad scheme as well so that might be another avenue.

As Fring says, definitely network. My friend got her job post-study after getting chatting to the head of fixed income at an asset manager.

Seriously, grad scheme at a bank will be awesome in terms of how your CV will look. Also, what about the bank where you interned at, banks generally like to take on interns that have performed well. If you've kept in contact with the people on the desk, go to them direct. Even if you haven't, go to them direct, you have nothing to lose! If they don't reply then speak to HR first and likely they'll advise you to apply but you never know, they may speak to the desk first, check what they thought of you and if they give you a thumbs up, you could get through the inital first rounds.

Goldmember21

37 0
Wait and see what the grad recruitment round will bring, are you at a redbrick uni? If so, you get a 2:1 or 1st and you have what sounds like decent internships on your resume, you should be able to secure a place on one of the grad schemes at a bank. Also, the more reputable prop-firms do run some form of grad scheme as well so that might be another avenue.

As Fring says, definitely network. My friend got her job post-study after getting chatting to the head of fixed income at an asset manager.

Seriously, grad scheme at a bank will be awesome in terms of how your CV will look. Also, what about the bank where you interned at, banks generally like to take on interns that have performed well. If you've kept in contact with the people on the desk, go to them direct. Even if you haven't, go to them direct, you have nothing to lose! If they don't reply then speak to HR first and likely they'll advise you to apply but you never know, they may speak to the desk first, check what they thought of you and if they give you a thumbs up, you could get through the inital first rounds.

Thanks,
I'm not at a redbrick unfortunately, on for a decent grade though. The bank I interned at doesn't do a grad scheme, I tried convincing them to while I was there, will push for that and if not will obviously still apply. Main thing holding me back from big banks are my A levels.. I got both of my internships through networking.

Also, could you list any prop-firms for me? Id prefer this than a BB, the thought of sitting making pointless graphs for 10 years doesn't really attract me..

Cheers again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock