Reuters & Bloomberg Experience

AKRev01

Hey, i'm new to this forum. I am currently a second year student and looking to apply to summer internships in trading for 2013.

I want to add to my CV that I have some kind of Bloomberg or Reuters IT experience to boost my application. However i'm fairly new to this stuff and need some guidance on where to start.

Any help really appreciated!

Hey, i'm new to this forum. I am currently a second year student and looking to apply to summer internships in trading for 2013.

I want to add to my CV that I have some kind of Bloomberg or Reuters IT experience to boost my application. However i'm fairly new to this stuff and need some guidance on where to start.

Any help really appreciated!

Hi,

Do you have access to either Reuters or Bloomberg?

I don't believe I have access to them, no. Is this a problem? Is it not accessible online?

It is accessible online.
Some great looking girls on the free Bloomberg TV channel. Lots of info but one has to wade through plenty of other stuff before they get to your favourite bit. Lots of info but never quite what one needs to make some bucks.

It is accessible online.
Some great looking girls on the free Bloomberg TV channel. Lots of info but one has to wade through plenty of other stuff before they get to your favourite bit. Lots of info but never quite what one needs to make some bucks.

Cheers! How do I go about accessing it online? I've tried looking on their website and cant seem to find anything relevant

Cheers! How do I go about accessing it online? I've tried looking on their website and cant seem to find anything relevant

Well yes that's the problem. You can't tell them anything you would like to listen to - they don't want to know !

And being commercial you gotta pay for ..goodness knows what.

Well yes that's the problem. You can't tell them anything you would like to listen to - they don't want to know !

And being commercial you gotta pay for ..goodness knows what.

I'm not sure if we're understanding each other correctly :p I was asking whether it was possible to/how I could go about gaining any experience with the Bloomberg or Thomas Reuters Eikon systems?

I'm not sure if we're understanding each other correctly :p I was asking whether it was possible to/how I could go about gaining any experience with the Bloomberg or Thomas Reuters Eikon systems?

Oh yes, it seems so.

I take it you mean getting experienced and learning how to use their data applications.. Like the stuff used in banks and trading firms... (This is what I thought you meant anyway..)

If you don't have access to them, then yeah it's a problem lol. They are very expensive bits of software, Check with your uni to see if they have them, Im guessing you'd know by now, I think my Uni is quite unique in having a Reuters Trading room.

Probably the best thing you can do is go through the reuters site and follow the training guides, however if you dont have the application, you'll only be able to read these and not actually get the experience of using them.

hope that helps

I take it you mean getting experienced and learning how to use their data applications.. Like the stuff used in banks and trading firms... (This is what I thought you meant anyway..)

If you don't have access to them, then yeah it's a problem lol. They are very expensive bits of software, Check with your uni to see if they have them, Im guessing you'd know by now, I think my Uni is quite unique in having a Reuters Trading room.

Probably the best thing you can do is go through the reuters site and follow the training guides, however if you dont have the application, you'll only be able to read these and not actually get the experience of using them.

hope that helps

Hey, yeah sorry I should have made it more clear but this is what I was asking. Thanks a lot for your reply, really helpful :) Unfortunately my university do not have it so i'll just have to make do with the online training and find some way around it!

I'm sure you could find some online tutorials or somthing.. But the system its self i think its about £12,000 a year to use!

Hey, yeah sorry I should have made it more clear but this is what I was asking. Thanks a lot for your reply, really helpful :) Unfortunately my university do not have it so i'll just have to make do with the online training and find some way around it!

no prob, is worth having a browse through some of those tutorials but I doubt that would be enough to be able to put it on your CV, which im guessing is what you'd want it for.

Alternatively, get comfortable with Excel.. really useful to have that skill, often overlooked.

no prob, is worth having a browse through some of those tutorials but I doubt that would be enough to be able to put it on your CV, which im guessing is what you'd want it for.

Alternatively, get comfortable with Excel.. really useful to have that skill, often overlooked.

Yeah I am looking to put it on my CV :smart: I understand what you are saying, however If I go through all the tutorials and do some extra research do you think it would be acceptable to label it as 'Experience with Thomas Reuters Eikon' on my CV?

Also, what kind of tools should I be looking at getting more comfortable with on Excel?

Thanks!

Yeah I am looking to put it on my CV :smart: I understand what you are saying, however If I go through all the tutorials and do some extra research do you think it would be acceptable to label it as 'Experience with Thomas Reuters Eikon' on my CV?

Also, what kind of tools should I be looking at getting more comfortable with on Excel?

Thanks!

Probably not unless you've actually used the application to do these things. Could probably bring it up in an interview or somehow work it into your cover letter to show your interest/passion/drive bla bla bla... My uni has a trading room with Reuters and we have to opportunity to work toward a certificate in the use of it, i read through all the tutorials and walk-throughs and then when it came to the application i really didnt have a clue, its one of those things you only really learn when you actually use it.

Excel is really useful though, just learn how to use the functions and formulas on the software, i had on my CV that i was great at Excel, but didnt really have a clue. Is worth having a surf around, just google things like 'how do investors use Excel' or something, useful stuff will come up.

When you leave uni, and want to get into trading, you'll start by doing analyst work, so research how to analyse data, look at standard deviation/variance functions.. all that kind of thing..

Probably not unless you've actually used the application to do these things. Could probably bring it up in an interview or somehow work it into your cover letter to show your interest/passion/drive bla bla bla... My uni has a trading room with Reuters and we have to opportunity to work toward a certificate in the use of it, i read through all the tutorials and walk-throughs and then when it came to the application i really didnt have a clue, its one of those things you only really learn when you actually use it.

Excel is really useful though, just learn how to use the functions and formulas on the software, i had on my CV that i was great at Excel, but didnt really have a clue. Is worth having a surf around, just google things like 'how do investors use Excel' or something, useful stuff will come up.

When you leave uni, and want to get into trading, you'll start by doing analyst work, so research how to analyse data, look at standard deviation/variance functions.. all that kind of thing..

Thank you!