"Trading Day by Day" by Chick Goslin

Trader333 said:
Do you have speed reading capabilities ?
Something like that, Paul ... I was a book-reviewer nearly 30 years ago, have worked as a editor and have a couple of shelves full of trading books to compare it with. But I'm actually reading this one slowly and really enjoying it.

The General said:
What page u up to now old mate ?
About 70, if you really want the blow-by-blow account of the actual reading-process. I can tell you so far that this is a very good book, and that I'm re-learning a lot of stuff from it as well as finding new things that seem "so obvious" although I've never seen them explained in these ways before. It's also extremely well-written and incidentally very well edited and published too, which is a lot more than can be said for most trading books (he added condescendingly!). Someone's taken real pride in this, and I can already see why. More late tonight. :)

Last edited:
are you really mesaging from Down Under mon Generale? Your writings dont seem to have an Australian accent...?

Well, here we are a day later, and I've still only read just over half of the book. Not because I'm going off it at all, I hasten to add, but just because of everyday life intervening. I'm hoping that today being Thanksgiving and the markets being pretty quiet will enable me to finish it. It's really very good. It's very difficult to imagine that there's anyone who couldn't get something of value out of it. I'm mostly an intraday spreadbetter and even I'm learning useful things from it. More when I've finished it, but I certainly recommend it.

It's just an excellent book ... I finally finished it late last night. Very well written, well presented and well published. The author explains his three "natural laws of trading" at some length and there are a number of other chapters commenting on common situations in trading (of almost any kind, really) and what to do about them. It's difficult to envisage that anyone could not gain something from this book (thought I suppose that if you absolutely hated and mistrusted the whole area of technical analysis and wanted to trade on fundamentals only, this book certainly wouldn't be for you). I can't really imagine anyone finishing it and thinking "Well that was a waste of money", and it's not that expensive anyway, compared with many of the things on the market. It's really full of "basic rules and principles" that can be applied to any sort of trading. I liked it very much and I wish I'd read it 2 or 3 years ago.

There are some extended analogies in the book which manage to be relevant, interesting and helpful, rather than the sort of literary flight of fancy that such things normally turn into.

The author publishes some sort of "market commentary" daily email newsletter, which is on commodities and stocks. I trade indices and currencies, so at the moment this would be of limited value to me, but I respect this author so much that I'm even thinking of subscribing to the thing with a view to gradually diversifying a bit.

Roberto,
Many good points. One thing, Chick's newsletter is a teaching newsletter. It is a strict interpretation of the lines with his extended commentary on the stock market. It is only 50 dollars a month. He does this to bring people up to speed on how to read the lines on a day to day basis and from what he tells me it keeps his trading extra sharp as well.

Great review by the way. This is the only book I actually recommend these days. I think it is a steal at 65 dollars. Especially, for anyone who was introduced to the 3-10/16 Linda Raschke. Like you I regret not having it years ago.

TGM said:
Chick's newsletter is a teaching newsletter. It is a strict interpretation of the lines with his extended commentary on the stock market. It is only 50 dollars a month. He does this to bring people up to speed on how to read the lines on a day to day basis and from what he tells me it keeps his trading extra sharp as well.
Thanks for that, TGM. I might well subscribe in the New Year.

I've ordered my copy, looking forward to reading it over Christmas. Thanks guys for bringing it to my attention.

Hi Alliance!

Alliance,

Can you provide details of where you bought your copy from, as I'm considering buying the book based on reviews from this thread.

Thanks

You guys should do yourseves a favor and order it directly from www.tradingdaybyday.com

Chick will mail it to you immediately (mention this board). These other bookshops are buying them from TradersPress and when their supply runs out. You will end up backordered. I do not have a bone to pick. I have bought my copy from Chick directly. I have also done business with TradersPress. They are tip/top. However, I just thought to inform the board that the supplies are limited for TradersPress. Chick did not sell them many. Nor does Amazon have a big supply.

TGM

TGM,

You live in the US and most of us live in the UK and if this were not the case then I am sure we would all order direct as you have suggested. Whilst Roberto was able to get it quickly, I have had cases of books taking up to 6 weeks to arrive from the US so faced with buying from the UK at a similar price, then I will do as I did when I purchased my copy a while ago. But if supplies dry up then I agree that your suggestion would be the better option.

Paul

Trader333,

Good point. MartinD ordered directly from www.tradingdaybyday.com and he lives in the UK. Martin, tell the board how long it took for you to get the book from Chick? The above global-investor bookshop takes up to 10 days to ship. Chick will ship in 24 hours and he does some book service deal that is supposed to be quick overseas? I just do not know what quick overseas means?

TGM
Fair point re delivery but the $25 shipping charge is somewhat off-putting compared to the UK £2 ;) Fair enough if u want the book in a hurry, but I am happy to wait the 10 days.

Mojazz
Sent u a pm re £38 deal.

(May I suggest that if anyone is ordering from global investor they do so via T2W as I believe T2W will then get the link "benefit" ~ that might be what Trader 333 has posted above)

Schoe:

Hiiiiiiii :) Long time no hear!

Last edited:
TGM
I seem to recall it took about four days direct from Chick. This was just after it had been released however so I didnt have the option of a UK source at that time. And I wanted a signed copy anyway, so I had to order direct