Adventures with Chick Goslin - Trading Day by Day

Looks good ardhill. I'm dubious of these cheap stocks. No idea how effective the lines are on instruments like these. Weekly chart looks like good previous support at $5. Interesting to see how it holds in this concurrent market. Best of luck on this one.

HG

s-a said:
Looks good ardhill. I'm dubious of these cheap stocks. No idea how effective the lines are on instruments like these.

Yes, I know what you mean, when I day trade I like stocks that have a minimum volume of 2 million and normally don't trade anything under $20, and preferably nearer the $100.

I have a look at the pattern of the cheap stock and the market, if it look in keeping with others and the general trend, then I will take a chance on them. But I do have a very specific reason for choosing them on this strategy...

Trading daily charts is a bit out of my norm, so I need to be cautious, also I obviously haven't traded this 'system' for long, so I am still learning how it works. So, If I choose a cheap stock like Hecla Mining, I can put a legitimate initial stop in place that is only about 30c away, if I have read the market wrong, I loose 30c per share max. If I use this system on Apple for example, then my stop could easily be $7 away. I think I would rather risk 30c than $7 whilst I am learning this system. I am not very good at paper trading, I need to put money on the line to see how I will 'really' manage the trade. These stocks may be cheap, but I will trade them like I have money on the line (I do), but they won't hurt too much if I keep getting it wrong.

s-a said:
Weekly chart looks like good previous support at $5. Interesting to see how it holds in this concurrent market.

Ahh, yes this is true and there is something else I didn't mention.

I noticed that S/R area myself and wondered about it. I have actually taken a multi part position on this stock, i.e. I am willing to close it in 3 parts. Because of that $5 area, I took profits on one part today, just above the support @ $5.03, so I now have 2 parts left in the trade. I may take some more profit before the end of the day - we will see. I have also moved my stop to B/E because of the possible bounce up off $5.

Well, it's been a busy day today for me in Hecla Mining

As you can see from the post above, I had a 3 part position on this stock.

1st part I took as we approached the S/R level (mentioned in my previous post).

Then the stock rallied to a high point at approx. 11.30 EST and fell back a little. But instead of continuing down, it rose back to it's heights again at approx. 1pm EST. Since there was obviously some upside potential in the stock, I took profits on the second 1/3 of my position. My stop at this point on the rest is now at break even.

Approaching the last part of the trading day, the stock has not lost any strength and is close to my B/E stop. As there is obviously some upside strength in the stock, I decided not to carry overnight, I would have left the stop at B/E but, I was concerned that the market could well gap up tomorrow on the strength and I would eat into the profits I made on the other two parts of the position. So, I covered on the last 1/3.

It may not have lasted long, but at least I took some profit on this one :)

(This is a 5 Min chart of the action today)

Attachments

• HL-08-02-05-5min.jpg
    HL-08-02-05-5min.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Yep, glad I got out yesterday. Another up day today on Hecla which would have taken me beyond my entry point.