Trading Courses

AustenHam

Hi Guys and Gals, first post so go easy.
Despite all the wealth of information available on the net i've been studying lots of sites and tutorials over the last 3-4 weeks and still feel no further down the line towards trading with "real" money.
I've seen a few courses advertised online and in particular have attended the Learn To Trade seminar where I was systematically subjected to 2 hours of being sold to and the possibility i could soon be on 35k a month if i handed over my 2.5k registration fee!
I am a realist so don't think that a two day course will generate those sorts of results so I would like to hear from peoples own experiences and how they put together the knowledge to get started and in particular if they attended any courses to get the necessary skillset.
I have also seen another company advertising their services for a modest 3k per month called the London Academy of Trading, has anyone had any experience with these guys or could recommend courses or alternative solutions in the south east of England.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one thing I've learnt on my journey from zero to nowhere near being a hero is that no one is right and everyone is right in trading. You could spend a lifetime and a lot of money on many different trading methods, strategies and techniques and probably be no better off than when you started.

There is a level of basic knowledge and understanding that you can obtain for free and I believe that once you have that, then you can start to generate some of your own ideas and test some hypothesis using demo money before spending a bean on anything.

HTH [emoji38]

Hi Guys and Gals, first post so go easy.
Despite all the wealth of information available on the net i've been studying lots of sites and tutorials over the last 3-4 weeks and still feel no further down the line towards trading with "real" money.
I've seen a few courses advertised online and in particular have attended the Learn To Trade seminar where I was systematically subjected to 2 hours of being sold to and the possibility i could soon be on 35k a month if i handed over my 2.5k registration fee!
I am a realist so don't think that a two day course will generate those sorts of results so I would like to hear from peoples own experiences and how they put together the knowledge to get started and in particular if they attended any courses to get the necessary skillset.
I have also seen another company advertising their services for a modest 3k per month called the London Academy of Trading, has anyone had any experience with these guys or could recommend courses or alternative solutions in the south east of England.
Thank you in advance for your help!

There is certainly an argument for a course which provides useful knowledge, such as technical analysis. Yes, this stuff is available on websites and in modestly priced straightforward books, but different people learn in different ways and its not crazy to pay someone else who has amalgamated all the useful information for you in one rationalised source.

However, before paying for a course in a skillset like trading, ask yourself, if these people are such great traders why do they need to sell training instead?

However, before paying for a course in a skillset like trading, ask yourself, if these people are such great traders why do they need to sell training instead?

Perhaps because they don't have long to live and want to share what they know?

In sales training they used to say: 'those who can't sell teach', im assuming the same applies to traders.
I do however feel i would be far better served actually sitting down with someone as opposed to sitting in front of a computer screen for days on end trying to work it out myself.
Anyone who has had experience of paying for a course and who is now a competent trader id like to hear from. Most of the ones i have seen so far seem like sharks who promise you easy money!

In sales training they used to say: 'those who can't sell teach', im assuming the same applies to traders.
I do however feel i would be far better served actually sitting down with someone as opposed to sitting in front of a computer screen for days on end trying to work it out myself.
Anyone who has had experience of paying for a course and who is now a competent trader id like to hear from. Most of the ones i have seen so far seem like sharks who promise you easy money!

The problem when you are starting from scratch is deciding what it is that you will enjoy learning and have some confidence in applying as a trader do you know your own limitations or do you have some skills that you could use?

And then when it seems to be all going south (as inevitably all trading methodologies do from time to time) whether you can keep the faith in what you have learnt or start looking for the next methodology that might work better. This latter part falls into the tricky area of trading psychology and no-one can teach that to yourself other than yourself.

There is nothing wrong in paying for training as in any field of study you have to start somewhere. As long as you treat the money you spend on training as you would say embarking on an academic degree course, it could take years of training, followed by years of on the job academic training with no guarantee that there will be a return on the investment.

So where do you want to start:

Pattern trading
Elliottwave
New Elliot wave
Candlesticks
Classical technical
Contemporary technical
Fundamental/economic
Quantative/ algorithmic
Wyckoff
Swing/position/day trading
Mean reversion
Trend only
Fibonacci pinball
Passavento
Buy and hold
Chart patterns or price action patterns
Proprietary
In the public domain
Machine learning
Neural networks
A million options strategies
Binary
Gantt
A combination of everything

And so on.....the list goes into infinity.......

Last edited:

We all learn in different ways, and admittedly, the psychology of trading might be best learned for some people from experienced traders through a course.

Meantime, start demo trading. start with the simplest system you can think of or dig up - say a moving average cross-over, or buying an uptrend on pullbacks. Add no more than 1 off-chart indicator such as RSI, stochastic or MACD. Understand from your own experience how it works, why it works, why it sometimes doesn't work and also why you sometimes stop it from working for you. If you need something more complicated, at least you'll know what issues you'll need to find solutions for.

Yeah good advice guys. To be honest this is the reason i think a 2 day course for the best part of a couple of grand isn't going to advance me much further down the line. Its like learning how to use only a couple of clubs out your golf bag when there are lots to choose from, all for different things!
When i first got into this i didn't quite realise how much there was to learn, i have started using a demo account on Trading 212 which i'm up £500 last week put purely luck more than judgement and im sure I can be back to square one by the end of the week. No methodology just financial guesswork!
As a final point though what do you guys think of live trading rooms? I see there are a few online with paid for access.

Yeah good advice guys. To be honest this is the reason i think a 2 day course for the best part of a couple of grand isn't going to advance me much further down the line. Its like learning how to use only a couple of clubs out your golf bag when there are lots to choose from, all for different things!
When i first got into this i didn't quite realise how much there was to learn, i have started using a demo account on Trading 212 which i'm up £500 last week put purely luck more than judgement and im sure I can be back to square one by the end of the week. No methodology just financial guesswork!
As a final point though what do you guys think of live trading rooms? I see there are a few online with paid for access.
Dont waste your money in courses,you will learn the same things with books,they are just looking for suckers,only if someone is trading live AND only if he is less than 40 dollars per month,anything more is theft

And to explain what i mean,what ever you will be teached in seminars is already known and you can find it in internet and books why you should spend a fortune for this.
If something is not known to the average teader it will not be sold publicly.

. . .I am a realist so don't think that a two day course will generate those sorts of results so I would like to hear from peoples own experiences and how they put together the knowledge to get started and in particular if they attended any courses to get the necessary skillset. . .
Hi Austen,
Welcome to T2W.

You sound like you're both sensible and wise, both of which are qualities that will stand you in good stead as a trader!

Here are some links that may be of interest. The first is to a thread about the (infamous) company you ask about in your OP, the next two are FAQs I recommend you read before taking any kind of paid training - be it with Learn to Trade or anyone else.

Learn To Trade aka Knowledge To Action (Greg Secker)
Can You Recommend a Mentor, Coach or Trading Course?
How Can I Distinguish Between Scams and Reputable Vendors?

Beyond the above, if you decide to go it alone, I suggest you check out the links in the welcome e-mail you received when you first joined T2W.
Enjoy!
Tim.

Not sure about sensible timsk and im not old enough to be wise yet but working on it!
Yeah I took myself along to the Learn To Trade seminar and they were pushy and trying their hardest to get me to sign up and even asking the other applicants who didn't have the money how long they thought it would take them to get the money together, a bit like con artists trying to rob a pensioner!
Had about 3 or 4 subsequent phone calls the following few days also with members of staff trying to get me to part with some cash but when i started researching it i soon realised there was too much to learn in such a short space of time.
I'm still working my way through all the content on the sticky's so much info but all very interesting stuff and you guys do a great job helping us noobs out!

The thing with trading is that the markets will always be there, doing their thing, so there's no need to rush in, take it easy, take a couple of years to learn. That sounds like a long time, but believe me losing cash as a naive trader in a matter of weeks is no fun.