Trading/charting software recommendations - ProQuote ?

city_trader28

Hi all

i was wandering if someone could please recommend any trading/charting software for UK markets that display live quotes for intraday trading.

i previously worked for a stockbroker and had Proquote avaliable to me, please could anyone offer their views on proquote or suggest anything better / cheaper.

i greatly look forward to any advice or information that you can offer me.

Many thanks

I don't know Proquote but looking at their website both eSignal and Qcharts would be significantly cheaper. I use eSignal and find it serves my purpose well.

I used to use Proquote when I traded UK a few years ago - it was excellent and very reliable - but you must know that if you used it at a brokers. I feel if you are going to trade professionally for a living then you use the best and most robust service within reason.
I use esignal for US and find it excellent - I don't know how good it is for UK, but it probably is high quality.
Richard

thanks for the advice... can you please give me a rough idea of the cost involved with esignal ? as their website seems very orientated to the US and doesnt give a clear indication on prices.

.. and i apologise for asking this if its a silly question, but why do so many people on the t2w forums appear to be mainly interested in US markets for trading? Do i assume its because people can trade for a period of time when they come home from work ?

any further advice or suggestions for real-time charting/trading software would be greatly appreciated !

thanks again!

city_trader28 said:
thanks for the advice...
.. and i apologise for asking this if its a silly question, but why do so many people on the t2w forums appear to be mainly interested in US markets for trading? Do i assume its because people can trade for a period of time when they come home from work ?

thanks again!

1) I started looking at the UK when I first started but found that opportunities for decent price movement (and hence points) are limited (although there are some!). 1% movement on a stock trading at, say, 250p does not represent a great deal compared to 1% movement on a stock trading at 2500 in NY. To cut the story short, there is greater opportunity to benefit from greater points movement.

2) Some people like to trade "intra day" on returning from work in the evening.

3) We in the UK can benefit from the time difference between the US and the UK for doing whatever you fancy! Including having plenty of time to identify your prospects for the day.

4) ... I'm sure there are other reasons !

But by far the strongest reason, are the far greater opportunity levels available in the US markets.

The upfront yearly price for eSignal is $1020, then you will have the exchange fees on top of that which will vary depending what you want to trade and where. For example Nasdaq, NYSE and AMEX will be another $36 for the year. I don't trade UK stocks so I don't know what their exchange fees are, but I'd imagine not much different.