Trading Arcades have had their day

spent sometime reading through the whole thread and I am puzzled - where the heck you are getting $500 margin for Eurex? Velocity wants $3500 per contract... My broker dont want to go below 2500... where do you get 500?

also the whole infrastructure argument US FCM vs arcade is too bit strange for me. If you are trading Eurex all the US FCMs I know (Velocity, RCG, Dorman, Mirus, Infinity) they all have their server in the US. So the latency from Eurex to broker to London home is about 300ms which is simply stupid.

Anyone could tell what FCM has 500 margin for say FDAX and also their TT servers are in Europe (or even better - London) ? I will buy a lot of beer for that information :) Also CQG IC might do too (instead of XT).

Good FCMs with low coms in the uk are ADM investor and Macquarie bank. They will offer you half margin if youre trading intraday.

I am looking to open an account with velocity just to test and trade small size.

are u saying i will be at a disadvantage and wont get quick fills because of the latency aspect?

I am going to call Velocity on Monday. I still have opened account with them. If they dont have dedicated TT server group in Europe connected to Eurex then you see on your screen what happened ages ago in reality. With FDAX vols it is suicide. The trades you see had to travel from Germany to US and back to you. This cannot be scalped. Hope this is clear.

Will check out the other guys.

P.S. Just found on the Velocity website (as I thought): Velocity Futures provides service from our world class data centers co-located in Chicago and Houston for added service and reliability..... They dont have servers in Europe

Last edited:
im a bobl scalper . i was with mf global until they decided to risk client money on their own brilliant trading ideas. i will be trading on the ninjatrader platform using pats systems pricing which is more cost effective than tt.

if i get there demo, will it be slower too? i was thinking i could compare their demo prices to my tt ladder from london and see if theres a difference?

what are ur thoughts?

i think you missed a very important point in home trader career due to being nursed by the prop desk IT for the whole trading career (as I understood).

your understanding of IT part of this business is below noob on these forums.

short answer would be: a) nobody uses pats seriously b) you can not scalp european products with US servers c) demo never close to reality in no aspects it is parallel reality which is invalid for real trader.

I am going to find answers on my question and will let you know for free :)

So far the only idea is to go with IB and buy ZL trader on top of IB feed. this will be cheap and dirty and relatively fast (I would expect 80ms total round-trip for an order: London - Swiss - Ger and back, compared to London - TX (Velocity) - Ger - TX - London which will amount to 260-300 at least)...

I think IB might be even cheaper than some dodgy pats sh1tze...

P.S. just looked on the ZL pricing - they dont sell it. they rent it for 10 a month. what could be cheaper? Ninja could be used for free charting but I'd rather pay for Sierra on you place. IB + ZL + Sierra would be the best 'poor man' equivalent of retail TT + CQG... and trust me - that is the best you could have here....

P.P.S. But forgive me - after years in prop trading you cant afford £500 a month for CQG IC (the CQG Trader component is the same quality as TT and it will be connected to European CQG server and you will get around 40ms delay from London to Eurex - the best which is possible).....

Me thinks may be you need to get a gap year. before you blew up the money you have left... changing trading environment can kill the edge you have... whatever the previous experience....

Last edited:
thanks for that. thats brill info. gonna be going to a prop shop shortly and wanted some ideas on how to do it. can u message me ur number so we can speak?

om

I agree.

What is the best software/broker combination that I can use for the fastest possible connection to EUREX?

I am currently based in the UK.

Thanks for any replies.

The fastest is to go to an arcade as they have a private circuit to the eurex node, if you are at home then you can use a vpn over the internet if you do not want to pay for your own private circuit which is about £100 a month. Contact marex or fortis

If you are trading Eurex all the US FCMs I know (Velocity, RCG, Dorman, Mirus, Infinity) they all have their server in the US. So the latency from Eurex to broker to London home is about 300ms which is simply stupid.
even if you have 5ms latency don't follow your illusion that this means your order will be placed a few more milisec later , you can't react faster than 250ms and usually it takes around 300ms before you will click mouse button.
300ms of reaction but not including the moment you are getting aware of the information displayed on the screen.
Add to this time, between the fact occurrence and your awareness of it. because after that you react.
lets say its 50ms but I dont have any idea and you have 355ms from your ultra low latency 5ms connection. if you have a cursor in the right place (y)
if not you can add another second if its on the other screen ;)

in my opnion, if a latency is 70ms or 200ms it doesnt make a difference to manual trading

I'm happy to hear if I am wrong

in my opnion, if a latency is 70ms or 200ms it doesnt make a difference to manual trading

I'm happy to hear if I am wrong
there are a lot of gray areas between point and click and HFTs... so 70ms is a lot but it is a huge advantage over 300ms through US server back to Europe.

in short - for a swing day trader it is may be irrelevant. for an active day trader 300ms it is a killjoy.