Trade before the news

guyfi

I am a new news trader.
My strategy isn’t to trade with the news but to open my positions before the news gets released. I am betting on the future direction (positive or negative) of the news before they are released.
I am trying to figure out what types/categories of news are not released by surprise ? right now I know only of earning reports. Are there more types of news that get announced before they are released ? Where can I find good a source for them ?

Thanks in advance

p.s I apologize for my poor english..

Hi guyfi. Actually, your English is good. But your idea involves a lot of risk - it is hard for anyone to see which way prices will move before news comes out. Good news does not always make prices go up, bad news does not always make them go down. And the movement can be sudden and powerful, sometimes followed by a dramatic reverse.

Most experienced traders will advise not to be in the market before major news, but to wait for the market to show what it thinks, then go with the trend.

Hi tomorton,
Thank you very much for your answer. Actually I am aware of the risks. of course, as you said, it's a little more complicated that just the direction of the news. for the past year I have been
working on an indicator that is based on psychology and this indicator requires new information to be available - either macro or micro. earning calendars and macro calendars are simply not enough...

Are there more types of news that get announced before they are released ? Where can I find good a source for them ?

So you want to know about news that is released by someone before it is released to the public? Technically its not news, its purely speculation.

You can look at:
potential mergers or takeovers.
mining stocks eg. where they open a new drilling site, seeking their product
pharmaceutical stocks eg. where they await approval for a drug.
Electronic stocks before a release of a new gadget. (eg. AAPL and the Ipad)
Commodities eg. Trading based on future weather reports.
Banking stocks before the results of investigations into fraud etc.
Any stocks with ongoing court cases running
Currencies before the debt announcements

the list is pretty much endless.

Try normal news sites and journals. Searching for this info will not be easy as its not released so you have to read everything about everything to maybe find a little bit of a clue as to what might or might not happen.

Easier to trade the reaction to the released news in my opinion although getting this right will pay much better!