Tracing Email Addresses

yacarob1

Experienced member
If someone sends me an email from a hotmail address, is it easily possible to trace the exact postal address and country from which it is coming ?

The emphasis is on easily and if the answer is yes, the next question is HOW ??

yacarob1 said:
If someone sends me an email from a hotmail address, is it easily possible to trace the exact postal address and country from which it is coming ?

The emphasis is on easily and if the answer is yes, the next question is HOW ??
I would say it is quite difficult, (for an individual) the country, you may get, depending on whether or not they are taking precautions to prevent you or not, but beyond that it is likely to be difficult to glean anything else. If you are involved in a war of words with someone they may be running through proxies, in which case even the country could be wrong.

usually in the transit headers of an email, you can determine the originating IP address.

In outlook 2003, if you open the email, then click view, options, you can view the embedded headers from there.

if you look down the list of information, you'll see the router route that the email took to get to your pop server. I'm pretty sure the last "Received:" in the list furthest down, but prior to the date, is the orginating IP address of the sender.

if you take this IP address and use an IP lookup service like IPWHOIS, you can at least determine the country and ISP of the original sender - assuming that they have not taken any obfusticating precautions in the sending of the email such as the use of a proxy.

if a crime has been comitted, the IP can be used by the police to request the user details of whoever was using that IP at the time of the email being sent etc, but if a proxy has been used then it starts to get almost impossible to trace

Try this to find the country of origin but not postal address.

• Click on "Options" tab on the top navigation bar.

• Click on the "Mail Display Settings" link.

• Change the "Message Headers" option to "Full".

• Click the "OK" button.

Next you need to open the mail in question and look for an IP address of the mail server (will look something like 111.1.1.1)

when you have this IP address do the following.

go to start> run > and type cmd.

this will open a new window and you can use this to check the IP address by typing:

nslookup

now type the ip address

the result will be something like "mail.isp.aus" (this for example would give you a hint that it was from australia)

do a google search with this and see what it brings you.

there are a few ways of searching for the info you want but this may help, good luck :)