Tossing a coin 500 times

JTrader

I tossed a coin 500 times yesterday.
My results were 260 heads (52.0%), 240 tails (48.0%).

Within the 5 * 100 tosses, I had -
A 50 heads, 50 tails. And a 58 heads, 42 tails.

I also had a maximum of 6 consecutive of the same (tails).

I used a 1p coin (Sterling).

Last edited:
I tossed a coin 500 times yesterday.
My results were 260 heads (52.0%), 240 tails (48.0%).

Within the 5 * 100 tosses, I had -
A 50 heads, 50 tails. And a 58 heads, 42 tails.

I also had a maximum of 6 consecutive of the same (tails).

I'd take up smoking, I find it a much better usage of my time and hands! :cheesy:

I smoked 20 fags yesterday, and they all tasted lovely, 'nuff said!

(sorry, carry on...!) :clap:

I'd take up smoking, I find it a much better usage of my time and hands! :cheesy:

I smoked 20 fags yesterday, and they all tasted lovely, 'nuff said!

(sorry, carry on...!) :clap:

Yes maybe theres's also an issue of having too much time on ones hands, but I could NEVER take up smoking (n):devilish: it's minging :!:
As i see it, there's little/no point in going to the gym, exercising, eating healthily etc. if you smoke. But i am very surprised by the number of people i see walking out of the gym and immediately lighting up a cig :LOL:.

But anyway, back to the probability issue....

so are you saying that Heads are breaking out and we should go Long or that they're due for a Reversal ?

No, i still use my darts to determine whether i place a long or short trade on any given day.

This was just an experiment.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples results from their 500 coin flips experiment ;):idea:.

No, i still use my darts to determine whether i place a long or short trade on any given day.

This was just an experiment.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples results from their 500 coin flips experiment ;):idea:.

this subject was done-to-death a couple of years ago by myself, FetteredChinos (where is he these days?) and rols.

I think rols uses a digestive biscuit and dunking-in-tea system, and FC swears by Cillit-Bang.
I decided on using astrology at the time. (scorpio rising in uranus dont half sting caused me to abandon that.)

And to think i started this thread with the intention of a serious discussion :eek:.

What about your technique for flipping - did it vary wildly or are you pretty consistent? Did you always start with the coin oriented a certain way? In short, is there anything YOU could have done that might lead to a bias?

(trying to get back 'on topic' like a good citizen).

GJ

GOOD QUESTION.

1. After each toss, i picked the coin up the same way, and re-flipped it - between my thumb, four finger and middle finger. Perhaps this led to bias?

2. If i had turned the landed coin over, then picked it up and re-flipped it, perhaps this would have made a difference.

Perhaps if i had split the 500 flips between techniques 1 & 2, 250 of each........

And to think i started this thread with the intention of a serious discussion :eek:.

post a chart, jt, post a chart :cheesy:

i bet we could all draw some pretty pictures on it to tell you how your next 500 will turn out :devilish:

cheers

jon

GOOD QUESTION.

1. After each toss, i picked the coin up the same way, and re-flipped it - between my thumb, four finger and middle finger. Perhaps this led to bias?

2. If i had turned the landed coin over, then picked it up and re-flipped it, perhaps this would have made a difference.

Perhaps if i had split the 500 flips between techniques 1 & 2, 250 of each........

Read this JT, it will answer all your questions

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/Chapter1.pdf

It's part of a 500 page doc, everything you ever wanted to know about coin tossing and much much more!

BTW I still think my Rich Tea trader method takes the biscuit...:D

post a chart, jt, post a chart :cheesy:

i bet we could all draw some pretty pictures on it to tell you how your next 500 will turn out :devilish:

cheers

jon

To be honest, one of the reasons for starting the thread was to get other people to take part themselves & compare results (and let other people share the donkey work!).