The ten-thirty factor

tomorton

Legendary member
8,181 1,242
I am not a daytrader and should give up trying to be one.

However, I am interested in knowing more about the intra-day movements of prices, as I would like to open or close positions (spreadbetting and sare dealing) at the best price achievable on a given day.

I have heard on occasions that 1030am marks a significant point in London's day. It is often the low or high of the day or if not the absolute L or H then at least a significant turning point.

See the FTSE100 today - the low so far (its half past 1 now) was reached just after 10 ,and just after 1030 we started up. Its a pattern I have seen before, but I must admit, I don't watch intra-day prices that closely.

Is the 10:30 point a common turning point, or just a mirage?

JonnyT

2,560 22
Even if it is a turning point a certain percent of the time your strategy will need defined money management and rules else you have no chance of making it profitable.

May I suggest you download some data and back test?

Personally I don't touch FTSE as there's much easier fish to fry.

JonnyT

theknifemac

340 0
JonnyT said:
Even if it is a turning point a certain percent of the time your strategy will need defined money management and rules else you have no chance of making it profitable.

May I suggest you download some data and back test?

Personally I don't touch FTSE as there's much easier fish to fry.

JonnyT

JonnyT

Do you not touch stocks or indices at all now ? And do you find you get enough signals from a smaller universe of tradables (i.e. FX) ?

Cheers

Stew

tomorton

Legendary member
8,181 1,242
Hi JonnyT

I agree, nice bets can help win the game, which is nice, but money management stops you losing it, which is essential.

I have led myself up the garden path before with back-testing so intend to do forward-testing, probably using my paper trading account at tradindex. If there is any meaningful conclusion I shall report on t2w.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock