The Mycroft Algoman Thread

So...

To enlarge upon some of my previous post...

You know that the Boards do pass information about us amongst themselves (a legal requirement), but you are not convinced that such a facility is not used by them to their own financial advantage... is that correct?

You are aware that each of us has to be given a UTR (some boards call them UCRs) you can't really argue against such a thing otherwise there would be no paper trail to ensure CFD/SB tax regimes had a paper-trail. So you may not have articulated or conjured the fact in your mind before but you can see that at the very least 'makes sense' Yeah?

Now you do, like I used to, run a BB and you can very easily check and be 99.999% certain as to whether or not I've been here before or have numerous nics etc, you know (or you should at least have checked to your satisfaction) that all the stupid claims I have from LV and others are entirely fallacious. In the past I always killed such speculation as it can only result in degradation of debates.

If you don't know how to do that, then contact your BB admin team and they'll show you how, it takes 5 minutes max.

Do it, you'll find it interesting.

Posting style...

I post in the same manner I live my life, I don't suffer fools gladly, I lectured in Advanced Maths and became used to 'good minds' and I am not very tolerant of the very stupid or dumb.

I have no problem with a counter argument or opposing view providing it has some fundamental or underlying logic, giggly and twattish girliness is not tolerated at all and I've encountered far too much of that to date.

Your request for simplistic answers is hard to comply with because although this is not as complex as Quantum Theory (The subject of my Doctorate) it is none the less quite complex and simple answers tend to generate more questions than it answers, so pitching any answer is a matter of judgement, too low and I'll be swamped with questions, to high and it is entirely unreadable.

I do try to simplify them, but the other problem with doing that is that accuracy is sacrificed in the effort.

I'll keep banging away...

What on earth is a 'board'. I've read 7 pages of this nonsense and I still don't know. Who controls these boards, if you're going to tell me it's the Masons, the Jews or Prince Phillip then don't bother. If you've any proof of fraud by SB companies then show us the proof.

So... you've read 7 pages of 'nonsense' and you still 'don't know' what a Boards is... perhaps if you had read a bit more carefully you might have read this:-

Sorry MA, I'm just as confused as ever!

By 'board', do you mean spread betting (SB) provider? So, using your terminology, IG Index is a 'board', as are ETX Capital etc., etc?

Boards = means of placing a bet, Contracting for Difference and any other provider interface that allows the general public to "play the stock market".

From this thread... it is nonsense to you because you failed to read it all... so you post from a position of ignorance... despite your angst, that is not really my fault is it!

well, it's pretty easy - when I make a £1 bet every company I deal with knows I've made it and flies into a panic bringing massive algo computer power to bear in order to ensure that they kill me off for a tenner (assuming I don't use spanish stops, of course :)) or to shave a few pence off me if they can't stop me making a fiver.

When they've stopped laughing my name goes to the one I haven't traded with for a bit who swing their expensive back office into action to track me down to sweeten me up and plead that I lose my next tenner with them.

I did explain this to you before, or at least you were on the thread...

You are not alone, I know you'd like to think you are the only person who sees that 'trend' or similar, but you are not, so no, your £1 bet alone is of little concern, but if you take a certain position, there are hundreds/thousands who within seconds come to the same conclusion and take the same action...

There is no point explaining this to anyone more than twice... you've had your twice... :)

I do hope you were on this...

I pulled out at 15049.6 I came in at 14808.7 @£10pp... tidy.

But I used have actually made much more than that...

Someone PM'ed me about something I mentioned on another thread... I mentioned that the algorithms can't cope with countervailing positions and I had taken up a countervailing position on this yesterday morning.

My gut feeling was that prior to the announcement of Janet Yellen the price would drop and so at the same time as I went long at 14808 I went short too at the same price with a different account, my guess was that the market would go down 100 points prior to the announcement and sold the short out at 14722...

That is simple countervailing strategies, the chap who PM'ed me asked about Stratified CP, when I can I'll post up 'live' a Stratified CP.

In just over thirty 30 hours I have made £3,281 at no point was I 'down' more than £36.50.

well, it's pretty easy - when I make a £1 bet every company I deal with knows I've made it and flies into a panic bringing massive algo computer power to bear in order to ensure that they kill me off for a tenner (assuming I don't use spanish stops, of course :)) or to shave a few pence off me if they can't stop me making a fiver.

When they've stopped laughing my name goes to the one I haven't traded with for a bit who swing their expensive back office into action to track me down to sweeten me up and plead that I lose my next tenner with them.

Thanks. If only I'd known all that years ago I'd now be as rich as Croesus, if not quite in Algoman's league.

Last edited:
..............but if you take a certain position, there are hundreds/thousands who within seconds come to the same conclusion and take the same action...

That's one of the eyebrow raisers - I doubt it. Some may play it for a breakout, some for a reversal and others like me who trade ftse/dow on the basis of the difference between them whatever the price of each may be at the time. Sure, you are likely to get a preponderance one way or the other and that presumably is where the companies net hedging comes in. No mad dash for a helpful algo necessary.

What on earth is a 'board'. I've read 7 pages of this nonsense and I still don't know. Who controls these boards, if you're going to tell me it's the Masons, the Jews or Prince Phillip then don't bother. If you've any proof of fraud by SB companies then show us the proof.

timsk said:
Sorry MA, I'm just as confused as ever!

By 'board', do you mean spread betting (SB) provider? So, using your terminology, IG Index is a 'board', as are ETX Capital etc., etc?

Myopic Agrroman said:
Boards = means of placing a bet, Contracting for Difference and any other provider interface that allows the general public to "play the stock market".
Myopic Agrroman said:
From this thread... it is nonsense to you because you failed to read it all... so you post from a position of ignorance... despite your angst, that is not really my fault is it!
No one knows what you are talking about.
No one has ever heard of the term 'board' to describe an SB firm.
Which makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about or you
are trolling.
You don't have a clue:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/179332-market-manipulation-13.html#post2192640

Bucket shops play with feeds and add slippage, everyone knows that.
Don't like it, swing trade so it doesn't affect you or trade futures or decent
spot ECN, instead of having a bookmaker on the other side of the trade with SB.

All these little hints of almost zero drawdown
(statistically insignificant for just 1 day anyway, can't even be bothered to check if they were live or made up after the fact):
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/179766-2400-down-counting-4.html#post2201940

Throw in being a programmer, maths professor and so on, I cant wait.
Just tell me how much your software costs to arb all those nasty SB firms
and be done with it.
Everyone knows that is where this is headed.

That's one of the eyebrow raisers - I doubt it. Some may play it for a breakout, some for a reversal and others like me who trade ftse/dow on the basis of the difference between them whatever the price of each may be at the time. Sure, you are likely to get a preponderance one way or the other and that presumably is where the companies net hedging comes in. No mad dash for a helpful algo necessary.

There are countless studies on pattern recognition, we are all programmed to make sense of what we see, and we can and do make images out of only vestigial input and see the same thing.

This too has been explained by me on here... we can all make out the same faces in the clouds or trees etc, we're good at it, it is part of our survival mechanism, the fact that you are here and can raise those eyebrows bears testament to the veracity of that fact.

They used to hedge, but it cost, by using the algos the cost is less than a third of what it was...

Now... what would you do?

Hedge or leave it to the Algo package that comes with your embedded package?

Apart from anything else, I think it's been established here that SBs hedge 'strategically', i.e. far less than you might expect, knowing that most of the time punters can be relied upon to lose.

There are countless studies on pattern recognition, we are all programmed to make sense of what we see, and we can and do make images out of only vestigial input and see the same thing.

This too has been explained by me on here... we can all make out the same faces in the clouds or trees etc, we're good at it, it is part of our survival mechanism, the fact that you are here and can raise those eyebrows bears testament to the veracity of that fact.

They used to hedge, but it cost, by using the algos the cost is less than a third of what it was...

Now... what would you do?

Hedge or leave it to the Algo package that comes with your embedded package?

Well. if you take the admittedly narrow sample from on here, I reckon you might get a fairly hefty agreement on direction, but as for all entering the same way within seconds of each other that's a very different kettle of fish (unless everyone's been following DAX30 this week:LOL:)

Well. if you take the admittedly narrow sample from on here, I reckon you might get a fairly hefty agreement on direction, but as for all entering the same way within seconds of each other that's a very different kettle of fish (unless everyone's been following DAX30 this week:LOL:)

It is close to 85% and 3 seconds, this accords well with every human study made since the turn of the Century regarding pattern recognition.

We do all consider ourselves (rightly) to be individuals but we do conform en masse to certain action/reaction prompts.

Economists and law makers rely on this natural tendency to a cohesive 'tack' or approach to situations to ease administration.

BTW, if everyone here followed DAX30 but you and I went the other way then we'd likely profit by it as ours is the least costly path for the algos to tread.

It is close to 85% and 3 seconds, this accords well with every human study made since the turn of the Century regarding pattern recognition.

We do all consider ourselves (rightly) to be individuals but we do conform en masse to certain action/reaction prompts.

Economists and law makers rely on this natural tendency to a cohesive 'tack' or approach to situations to ease administration.

BTW, if everyone here followed DAX30 but you and I went the other way then we'd likely profit by it as ours is the least costly path for the algos to tread.

I wouldn't dispute that 85% of people recognise the same pattern within 3 seconds of each other when it occurs. Whether and when they might choose to act on that recognition is a different matter entirely.

If you and I had gone the other way to DAX30 this week we'd be licking our wounds - those nasty algos haven't collared him yet :LOL:

I wouldn't dispute that 85% of people recognise the same pattern within 3 seconds of each other when it occurs. Whether and when they might choose to act on that recognition is a different matter entirely.

If you and I had gone the other way to DAX30 this week we'd be licking our wounds - those nasty algos haven't collared him yet :LOL:

Possibly, but did he have a huge following or did people just watch and see!

I'll have to take a look at his thread...

Took a look...

Noticed this:-

Just took my first losing trade of the week on the DJIA

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/indices/120172-anyone-scalping-ftse-futures-3628.html#post2201878

£200 gone....just like that.

Today's total: £238

Weeks total: £2,845

I've made £8400 in the same time... I made all his weeks profit (and a fair bit more!) in the last 30 hours... still, he's done well!

Look at the last 30 hours on this thread...

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/179766-2400-down-counting-2.html

The difference is that he's using his experience and skill to trade, whereas you (with the greatest respect) appear to be using a delusion.

No delusion, just, whereas he is at constant risk, I am not.

He may be using 'skill' but that is no substitute for knowledge and guile.

A whole week of skill and he's less than 3large up... a couple of minutes each day, and an apparent zero skill quotient and I'm up almost three times his figure.

I'll stick to my way thanks all the same.

Hint:- It's all about making money... :)