The most profitable trading system

metrader

Experienced member
What's the most profitable trading system of yours? How long have you been using it?

If you like to share, you can post it here in this thread. If you can't be bothered and it's somewhere else you can provide a link.

I'm mostly interested in simple & profitable systems(y)

I've posted a lot of what I look for in set-ups and entry signals but what sort of trading are you able to do / do you wish to do?

There are countless YouTube clips of systems, some by really respected people, some go into excellent detail.

People charge, even for really crappy systems. And as for a profitable one ? I think you are being a bit hopeful.

I mean what for instance would you be prepared to pay for a consistently profitable system ? If the answer is nothing, then learn programming imho.

I've been learning to code on prorealtime and have been trying to develop automated trading systems. I've put a few together and back tested them. I have been suprised how profitable even the simplest system can be. This one runs on an H2 chart of the DOW:

DEFPARAM CumulateOrders = False // Cumulating positions deactivated

// Conditions to enter long positions
indicator1 = Momentum[3](close)
c1 = (indicator1 >=100)

IF c1 THEN
BUY 1 PERPOINT AT MARKET
ENDIF

// Stops and targets
SET STOP pLOSS 100
SET TARGET pPROFIT 400

Its still early days and I've not live traded any systems yet but it gives me optimism when I find some sort of edge I can work with.

I've posted a lot of what I look for in set-ups and entry signals but what sort of trading are you able to do / do you wish to do?

There are countless YouTube clips of systems, some by really respected people, some go into excellent detail.

So far as it's a profitable one, it doesn't bother me what sort of trading system is used. If you have something you like from YouTube, why don't you post a link?

People charge, even for really crappy systems. And as for a profitable one ? I think you are being a bit hopeful.

I mean what for instance would you be prepared to pay for a consistently profitable system ? If the answer is nothing, then learn programming imho.

There are some profitable traders who don't mind sharing. I can't see how can learning programming help me if I don't have a profitable system?

Thanks db, I'll have a look. Have you been profitable all that time?

I've been learning to code on prorealtime and have been trying to develop automated trading systems. I've put a few together and back tested them. I have been suprised how profitable even the simplest system can be. This one runs on an H2 chart of the DOW:

DEFPARAM CumulateOrders = False // Cumulating positions deactivated

// Conditions to enter long positions
indicator1 = Momentum[3](close)
c1 = (indicator1 >=100)

IF c1 THEN
BUY 1 PERPOINT AT MARKET
ENDIF

// Stops and targets
SET STOP pLOSS 100
SET TARGET pPROFIT 400

Its still early days and I've not live traded any systems yet but it gives me optimism when I find some sort of edge I can work with.

I'm rubbish at programming cb, so unless you show that on a chart I wouldn't know how to use it.

I'm rubbish at programming cb, so unless you show that on a chart I wouldn't know how to use it.

It just gives a buy signal when a momentum indicator (set to 3 periods) is greater than 100, basically you're jumping in a trade after a huge green bar. Your stop is 100 points and your target 400. I'll post the back test results tomorrow if anybody's interested

I could show,you one but if you are not proficient at trading you will not still be profitable ......and on top,of that the system has to align to,your trading style and personality

That's why this business takes time and effort to,succeed in ....and why so,many fail in the journey

N

So far as it's a profitable one, it doesn't bother me what sort of trading system is used. If you have something you like from YouTube, why don't you post a link?

Oh yeah, I could post a link. Jeez, I never thought of that. Don't go anywhere, I'll get back to you right away.

It just gives a buy signal when a momentum indicator (set to 3 periods) is greater than 100, basically you're jumping in a trade after a huge green bar. Your stop is 100 points and your target 400. I'll post the back test results tomorrow if anybody's interested

Thanks cb – I understand now. Please do post the results, I'm interested.

I could show,you one but if you are not proficient at trading you will not still be profitable ......and on top,of that the system has to align to,your trading style and personality

That's why this business takes time and effort to,succeed in ....and why so,many fail in the journey

N

Thanks NVP – show what you have, so I can see if I can trade it profitably (no harm in trying).

Oh yeah, I could post a link. Jeez, I never thought of that. Don't go anywhere, I'll get back to you right away.

Thanks tomo, still waiting...

Thanks cb – I understand now. Please do post the results, I'm interested.

Hope this works...
I set initial capital to £5K so £1/pt with 100pt stop is 2% risk.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    350.1 KB · Views: 1,472
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    146.7 KB · Views: 795
Hope this works...
I set initial capital to £5K so £1/pt with 100pt stop is 2% risk.

143.17% gain over the period of 4 years and 4 months. That's very good imo. Only things I'm not happy with are max drawdown of £1,805.20 (starting with £5,000) and 14 max consecutive losses – that's tough on the nerves (I don't think I could keep my faith in the system after all that). Also time in the market 52.52%. Overexposed - can't reduce the risk of Black Swans that much.

Anyway it's one of those things you can't avoid if you use automation I suppose. Thanks for the analysis cb (y)

Also time in the market 52.52%. Overexposed - can't reduce the risk of Black Swans that much.

Anyway it's one of those things you can't avoid if you use automation I suppose. Thanks for the analysis cb (y)

if they can get it to work with prorealtime (proorder) then you dont have to worry about that (y)

"Our new guaranteed stops

Attaching our unique guaranteed stops will put an absolute cap on your potential loss, for a small premium that’s only payable if your stop is triggered."

http://www.ig.com/uk/risk-management

if they can get it to work with prorealtime (proorder) then you dont have to worry about that (y)

"Our new guaranteed stops

Attaching our unique guaranteed stops will put an absolute cap on your potential loss, for a small premium that’s only payable if your stop is triggered."

Obviously that 'small premium' would affect overall profit (there are 140 losing trades, so 140 'small premiums'), but still it could be a simple profitable system if there were no slippages and other kind of shenanigans (rejected entries etc. etc.)

Drawdown is an important factor to consider when dealing with automation. Nothing over 20% for me. Preferably under 10%.

Obviously that 'small premium' would affect overall profit (there are 140 losing trades, so 140 'small premiums'), but still it could be a simple profitable system if there were no slippages and other kind of shenanigans (rejected entries etc. etc.)

i see now that over 70% of the trades are closed by the stop in this case

i was more thinking about a system that close the trades with market orders and use the guaranteed stop as a catastrophic stop (and no worry over the weekends;))

I am totally new to trading. So, I am much curious to know more about trading system, earning activity and more.